Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
sean richard

Default training program for Ultra Marathon?

I was wondering what kind of training program would be best for ultra marathon training. I have did 5 mile runs before but have a goal to do at least one 100mile ultra event in the future. Not shore if next summer is to early to sign up for a race but will take any advise from those on here that run.
sean richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

I already responded to your post on the CrossFit forum, but I guess here I'm more free to go against the CF methodology without reprisal.

Anyway, is that your only goal? Just to be a runner? There's nothing wrong with that, but if that's what you really want, then the key is basically to do as much running as possible without hurting yourself or your recovery.

Here's a pretty good 100 mile training program:
http://www.hillcountrytrailrunners.c...Plan_mike.html
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
sean richard

Back is high school I had a goal to finish a marathon. I started running a few days a week but was always getting hit with shin splints and sore calves so gave up running and started biking. Fast forward 10 years and I find out about barefoot or minimalist shoe running. I also Found out about Pose and chi running from Crossfit and the book "Born to run". I finally started to run again the least year or so with no injuries with a new fire on my goal to finish a marathon. That goal changed this past year when I found out about Ultra Marathons from the born to run book and said to my self why stop at the marathon when people are running 100+ miles without getting hurt. My main goal overall is to be strong and be able to move freely as I age but finishing a ultra marathon would be the icing on the cake for me.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
sean richard

Shnae this is set up as a 26 week program peaking at race week. would a person use this template year round or only as a lead up to a event?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean richard View Post
Shnae this is set up as a 26 week program peaking at race week. would a person use this template year round or only as a lead up to a event?

Probably not, only as a lead up to an event.

If not training for an event I think you should focus on shorter distance endurance (5-10k), hiking ability, and some basic lifting for injury prevention and strength. It can't be good for you to do that much volume all year round.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

I'd say find some other ultra runners and have them help you out. Crossfit Endurance WODs seem to be unable to produce results for the main proponents with a string of smack talking coupled with humiliating DNFs followed by extensive excuse making.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Gary Ohm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
I'd say find some other ultra runners and have them help you out.
That's a really good idea. Though it is amazing how hard it is to find ultrarunners. They seem to be as elusive as the unicorn in some areas of the country.

Quote:
Crossfit Endurance WODs seem to be unable to produce results for the main proponents with a string of smack talking coupled with humiliating DNFs followed by extensive excuse making.
This is the funniest (and perhaps one of the most true) thing I've read in weeks. Thanks for that.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Bill Ripley

Quote:
I'd say find some other ultra runners and have them help you out.
http://www.getguts.com/

http://www.ultrarunning.com/
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

The best source of information in the ultra community is the ultrarunning list serv
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/Archives/ultra.html

There are a little over 2000 people on the list and it's not unusual to get a response from an elite-level, experienced ultrarunner.

The other good sites are:

http://ultrunr.com/

and

http://www.run100s.com
Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
sean richard

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/8/...ning-run.shtml

quote from link "Ultrarunners are an idiosyncratic bunch. They practice the sport in a thousand peculiar and individual ways. But on any given weekend, a high percentage of them will all be doing pretty much the same thing: completing a long training run. Thatís because the long run is widely recognized as the most important element in the ultrarunnerís training regime, especially for the beginner."

I guess this article proves that crossfit endurance will not work if you want to make it to the top in ultra endurance events. CFE might get you fit enough to finish 100 miles but to finish at the top it looks like one long run a week is needed