Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
glennpendlay

Not sure that this is COMPLETELY relevant to the discussion, but something that has coalesced in my mind in the last year or so is a prioritization of the following qualities for a beginner.

1.) Position

2.) Tempo

3.) Speed

4.) Weight

The short version is that you want the major positions attainable and correct before you move on (things like position at knee, start position, etc) Then you worry about tempo... that is not absolute speed, but the relative speeds of the different parts of the lift. you should be able to go through the movement, no matter how slowly, with the pull from the floor the slowest, speeding up slightly as you pass the knee, moving even faster as you execute the second pull and go under the bar. Once the tempo is right, and the movement speeds at different points are in the correct relation to each other, then you try to bring the absolute speed of the whole affair up to something appproximating a "real life" heavy attempt... of course all the while keeping position and tempo solid. Once you accomplish this, then its time to start adding weight.

If I were starting over as a beginner, I would want someone to force me to do this, it would have saved a lot of time. As a coach, I wish I would have thought more about this years ago. There are a lot of kids that I coached 10 years ago that would have been a lot better off had I realized this then.

I think I am gonna turn this into an article soon...
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
dave beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Not sure that this is COMPLETELY relevant to the discussion, but something that has coalesced in my mind in the last year or so is a prioritization of the following qualities for a beginner.

1.) Position

2.) Tempo

3.) Speed

4.) Weight

The short version is that you want the major positions attainable and correct before you move on (things like position at knee, start position, etc) Then you worry about tempo... that is not absolute speed, but the relative speeds of the different parts of the lift. you should be able to go through the movement, no matter how slowly, with the pull from the floor the slowest, speeding up slightly as you pass the knee, moving even faster as you execute the second pull and go under the bar. Once the tempo is right, and the movement speeds at different points are in the correct relation to each other, then you try to bring the absolute speed of the whole affair up to something appproximating a "real life" heavy attempt... of course all the while keeping position and tempo solid. Once you accomplish this, then its time to start adding weight.

If I were starting over as a beginner, I would want someone to force me to do this, it would have saved a lot of time. As a coach, I wish I would have thought more about this years ago. There are a lot of kids that I coached 10 years ago that would have been a lot better off had I realized this then.

I think I am gonna turn this into an article soon...
alot of great responses thank you to all but i really like this last bit by glenn. I was a kicker(football) in high school and college with a speciality in distance kick-offs/field goals.
Alot of guys thought because i was big(210lbs) or strong that i could kick so hard but it wasn't so. A good kick had to start with a solid position, accelerate with good tempo while all the while not getting out of control and losing position. In my last 3 steps(for kickoff) would be so fast but it was critical to stay controlled so that every once of energy was transferred to the ball and not wasted.
Last year i went out and tried kicking just for fun. I'm way stronger and faster than i was 6yrs ago but don't nearly have the distance because i forgot my starting position and my tempo sucks.

Oh well, thought that might be somewhat interesting. When i read what Glenn wrote a big light went off in my head and i competely understood what he was talking about.
dave beers is offline   Reply With Quote