Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Jarod Barker

Default Why lie? I'm a mess.... I REALLY need help

Hey guys, I know I haven't been on here in forever. I haven't had time to use the computer for anything but work in forever as well. In any case, now I'm going to have lots of time to catch up.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this. I thought it would be easier to get it all out at once instead just telling a piece at a time.

So, before I begin, I've already spent the past few hours reading through all 12 pages of the recovery threads. I have sifted through and found a few pieces here and there that may apply, but I've got sort of a perfect storm of problems.

I'm 26 years old, and I've been training consistently for 7 years.

I was following a program of training 5 days a week. Most of the workouts took an hour to complete, are generally a Crossfit style design, but have an emphasis on running, swimming, longer duration. An example might be, Run 2 miles, then 10 rounds of 5 deadlifts, 10 pullups, and 15 thrusters, then swim 1000 yards. I followed the program to the letter and made great progress. I started the program last September 2009.

Then in January 2010, I got the flu. In February, I got the flu again. In March, I fractured my tibia. Also in March, my doc sent me for bloodwork to make sure something wasn't wrong that made my tibia fracture so easily. Instead, they became concerned about my low T level (427 ng/dl) and my high cortisol levels. I was sent for all kinds of tests including a cosyntropin stimulation test which was extremely unpleasant. In any case, the endocrinologist decided that I had just overtrained myself to the point where my cortisol levels were actually becoming detrimental. Natually, with a fractured tibia, I had some down time. It was a minor fracture, so by April I was back to training. In June, I fractured my metatarsals, tore the lisfranc, and strained the ATF.

It has been 6 weeks, the foot isn't healed yet.... I decided to go to a massage therapist, the same one the Pittsburgh Steelers use. I was hoping that since I've got the cast off, he could get some tissue work started and hopefully my muscles in my leg would recover faster. He started with my back and shoulders. He pointed out that I had torqued ribs, tears in my rhomboids, lats, and traps, as well as substantial fibrosis in my erectors and I've forgotten the name, but the little muscles that attach to the spinus processes. It's quite bad between my shoulder blades. In fact, we spent 3 hours just working on my back and never even made it to my legs, we're going to start there next time.

So.... there's the skinny on things. Part of me is wondering if it's possible to have somehow "demineralized" myself or something from the overtraining?

Is there a way to get back on track? The muscle issues really worry me because if my back is that bad, my legs are going to be even worse. I don't want any more injuries. I just want to get back into training and moving forward.

I'm already taking a multi, calcium, super cissus, vitamin D, and a joint complex with glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM in it.

Naturally, rest is my primary activity right now. I sit around on my butt all day waiting for my foot to heal, take hot baths, and sleep as much as I can.

I spoke with all of my doctors about my injuries and how to approach recovery, I was shocked (but maybe because I live with my head in the sand) how my doctors actually suggested that I use growth hormone or anabolic steroids. In fact, the endocrinologist wanted to put me on testosterone, and the ortho thought that HGH locally injected into the fracture site would cut the recovery time in half. I didn't hint at either, they just flat out suggested it like they were suggesting a multi vitamin or something. Like I said though, maybe I live with my head in the sand.

Well, thank you very much if you read all of that, I know it was long, but I wanted to create a clear picture. I would greatly appreciate all and any advice, guidance, or insight anyone can share with me. Thanks so much!
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
glennpendlay

I will admit that I am not a huge fan of how you were training... But, it seems far fetched that it would cause the problems you describe. How were you eating?
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Basically, you have to take time off to let yourself recover fully and do A LOT of mobility work and rehab/prehab stuff during that time.

WIth vitamin d I recommend taking both a calcium, as well as magnesium and zinc with it... I know for sure it works synergistcally with both Ca/Mg. And most people are deficient in Zn anyway.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Jarod Barker

Hey Glenn, I had been training from September to December with no problems at all. I thought I was doing great on the program. My run and swim times were coming down steadily, and then suddenly everything just started going wrong in January.

Do you think that maybe there was something else that caused the problems? I've been tested for just about everything by the endocrinologist and all he kept coming back with is that my T level is 427 and I'm only 26. He seemed quite concerned about that, but I do believe 427 falls into the "normal" range.

I think I was eating pretty well. I follow a paleo diet with sort of "zone" parameters in that I typically have a protein, carb, and fat with every meal.

Here's a typical day.

3 eggs, 2 cups of spinach, 1 apple, and a tbsp of almond butter

3oz steak, 1 cup of pineapple, and a small handful of macademia nuts

5oz ground beef, 1 cup of strawberries, and a small handful of almonds

3oz chicken breast, 1 orange, and a handful of walnuts

5oz pork rib, 1 cup grapes

4oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup onion, 2 cups spinach, 1 orange

6oz salmon, romaine salad, 2 tbsp dressing, 1 apple

I know it's simple and repetitive, but it's hard to get large meals in at work, so I just grab a small bite to eat as often as I can.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Full Mission Profiles, but I did at least one of these a week.
http://www.brassringfitness.com/cate...ssion-profile/

And many of the daily workouts in general were structured similarly to the FMPs, but usually not quite as hard.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Basically, you have to take time off to let yourself recover fully and do A LOT of mobility work and rehab/prehab stuff during that time.

WIth vitamin d I recommend taking both a calcium, as well as magnesium and zinc with it... I know for sure it works synergistcally with both Ca/Mg. And most people are deficient in Zn anyway.
Hi Steven, I forgot to list that. I take Natural Calm before bed with NOW Foods ZMA. I'm getting 5000iu of Vitamin D a day, and I'm taking 1g of calcium a day, spread out into 4 doses.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

You have the CrossFit disease. I've seen it before, and it won't be the last time.

Full Mission Profiles ruin people. It's not a matter of if, only when. Already seen it happen.

Other than lots of baths with Epsom salts and even good sea salts added, I would hesitate to make more comments or recommendations until I saw your whole case. Feel free to contact me over PM if you'd like to arrange a consult. Contrast hydro to the foot would be good too.

More CF will not be your way out of the hole you dug. That will only dig it deeper.

You might look into cold laser therapy, great for bone healing. See the "Research" link at my site www.LaserTherapeutics.com for more on that.

I'd guess that your total cholesterol and LDL were likely really high as well, that goes along with this pattern.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Also, your diet is WAY too low in fat.

Blood cortisol levels for your situation are next to useless unless you have a true adrenal disease. An Adrenal Salivary Index and some basic bloodwork looked at through a proper perspective (ie. tighter functional ranges, not the ones on the bloodwork as "lab ranges") would be necessary and extremely useful here. If you were actually high for the lab range, then you have a significant issue, yet maybe not an "adrenal disease" like Cushing's.

Something to consider if you did have high cortisol levels in the blood in relation to your fracture (cortisol is equivalent to cortisone for all intents and purposes here):
Quote:
Acta Orthop Scand. 1975 Apr;46(1):25-30.
Effect of cortisone and an anabolic steroid upon plasma hydroxyproline during fracture healing in rabbits.

Lyritis G, Papadopoulou Z, Nikiforidis P, Batrinos M, Varonos D.
Abstract

The effect of cortisone and an anabolic steroid on plasma hydroxyproline (HOP) was investigated in young male rabbits, following operative fracture of the radius. The action of these hormones was studied in three groups of animals, a cortisone (hydrocortisone sodium succinate 5mg/kg every day), an anabolic (norandronolone-19-phenylpropionate 5 mg/kg every other day) and a cortisone plus anabolic treated group. A fourth group of animals served as controls. Plasma HOP was found to increase during the fracture healing in control animals, particularly in the first week and during callus remodelling. Cortisone produced elevation of HOP level during the first two weeks followed by a decrease to low normal values. Animals treated with the anabolic did not present the initial rise but a sustained increase during callus remodelling. When both the anabolic and cortisone were administered, a curve similar to that of cortisone-treated animals was obtained. The initial increase of HOP is attributed to bone destruction and to a lesser degree to synchronous bone formation at the site of the fracture. This catabolic process seems to be enhanced by cortisone and inhibited by the anabolic. When, however, the two hormones are given together the protective anticatabolic effect of the anabolic is almost abolished.
And yes, your testosterone level should be considered low (and that's not even considering what your free test value is, the actual "useful" stuff!). If you were to ignore the deeper issue and get testosterone injections, as soon as you stopped the injections the underlying problem (which likely would be forgotten about until it reared up again) would return.

I have utilized a training approach that has worked well in returning people to feeling well in several months, and it will not involve any medium-to-long metcons at all. Why?
Quote:
"You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it." -- Albert Einstein
Ice water baths for your foot, 20 minutes, several times a day, would do you much better than hot "plain" baths (which may be causing you to sweat out even more minerals).

Lastly, has anyone bothered to do a vitamin D test on you?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Jarod Barker

Thank you Garrett, you're spot on with your assessment. My cholesterol was screwed up, and I thought that was unusual. My total was 222, triglycerides were 109, HDL was 44, and LDL was 156. I've never had bad cholesterol levels in my life, so I just thought it was a fluke.

My free testosterone was 10.0, but the doc kept repeating the 427 number as his reasoning for wanting me to use testosterone. I can't help being skeptical though, because if I sign on for a lifetime of testosterone injections, that's money in his bank account, so no offense to any doctors, but I kind second guess whether or not his advice is in my best interest. Like I said, I'm 26, so I'm not exactly eager to start down a path of TRT as it would really interfere with my personal goals for my life.

My baseline cortisol level was 24.010 ug/dL which they said was high. However, they were unable to diagnose anything like Cushing's or Addison's. So, maybe that did have some role to play in my recent fractures. I don't know if that level ever came back down.

What's strange to me is everything was going great and I was progressing from September to December, and then everything just seemed so abrupt. With the back to back flus, the fractured tibia, the bloodwork issues with cortisol, and then the fractured metatarsals and ligament tears, I've barely been able to get any sustained training in. Shouldn't the time off from the flus and then the time off from the fractured tibia been enough time for my body to have recovered?

Forgive for whining "why me" but I can't understand how it could be that other guys are still following the programming, and somehow I became overtrained. What is the difference that allowed them to continue training while I'm muddling through problems?

I'm seeing another doc with the Steelers on Monday, but I may contact you for a consult. I'm not particularly pleased with the recommendations and advice I'm getting from these doctors.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Jarod Barker

Hey, just a quick thought. I also had an EKG because they were concerned about my heart, it came back fine, but they said I had developed early repolarization which is considered normal because my heart rate is so slow.

Additionally, I've been fighting with some chronic epididymytis for the past few months. I take antibiotics, it goes away, as soon as I stop the antibis it comes right back, and then I have to start on antibiotics again. I've done doxycycline for up to 30 days, and I just finished 30 days of bactrim.

Your mention of the messed up cholesterol levels just jolted my mind, and I thought maybe although those things seem completely unrelated to me, perhaps they are part of the bigger picture like the cholesterol levels.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

Your immune system is likely suppressed due to excessive training. It would be pretty obvious to me on a simple CBC with platelets and differential.

The cholesterol, in my own theory, is a result of the body attempting to raise (although unsuccessfully) your low test levels.

Nothing I haven't seen before. Simple (not easy) to correct with a compliant trainee.