Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
This fails the sniff test.
How so?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #32
John Alston

Look at what you were responding to. Adding x amount of calories of sugar vs x amount of calories via [healthy protein].
So adding extra crap is the same as adding extra good for your stuff? Not so likely.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #33
Derek Weaver

In general, in a healthy individual, the energy balance equation holds true.

Each nutrient has a slightly different thermic effect, but his statement is generally accurate.

The key term is healthy individual.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #34
Donald Lee

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #35
Justin Arnold

What about sugar (fructose) vs protein's effect on the liver?

Wouldn't that much sugar more quickly make a healthy individual less healthy than one taking in the same calories in protein?
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #36
Derek Weaver

I don't think anyone is talking about adding 100 grams of straight fructose. That's awful hard to do without hitting up HFCS. Nobody would say that's a good idea. Honestly, I would say that such an example holds little to no application to the discussion. Even if the hypothetical sugar in this discussion were to be sucrose, you'd still get 50 grams of fructose, and 50 grams of fructose making up the 400 calories. If I'm reading this right that would fill, at most half of the potential space that the liver has for glycogen, assuming a depleted liver:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen

Sugars in fruits: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritio...its_table.html

Just a quick glance at that table shows that most fruits are ~50% fructose, with glucose making up the remainder. Except for maltose, which I admit I have no knowledge of at all.

Regardless, to answer the question. I'd be shocked if a single occurence, or even intermittent occurrences of such high fructose consumption would cause any serious negative affects on health.

By the way, insomnia sucks and leads to discussions on sugar consumption at odd hours. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #37
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Look at what you were responding to. Adding x amount of calories of sugar vs x amount of calories via [healthy protein].
So adding extra crap is the same as adding extra good for your stuff? Not so likely.
I'm not suggesting that anyone swap whole foods of any kind for table sugar. I'm just using sugar to make the point that once protein requirements have been met additional protein is nothing more than a source of calories.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 AM   #38
Allen Yeh

What I was saying is that it seems silly to me that Darryl was advocating the "calorie is a calorie" idea after meeting 1.8/2g/kg of protein. Especially if you are talking about on a daily basis and not just a one shot deal.

So if a 200 lb guy was training hard and met his protein needs with 164 grams of protein. which is 1.8g per kg. I can't possibly see him getting the same results as adding 400 calories from a chicken breast as adding 400 calories of straight up sugar. Especially if we are talking about for months on end. This is assuming the rest of his diet stays the same and the only thing is changing is taking away his extra protein and adding in 400 calories from sugar.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #39
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
What I was saying is that it seems silly to me that Darryl was advocating the "calorie is a calorie" idea after meeting 1.8/2g/kg of protein. Especially if you are talking about on a daily basis and not just a one shot deal.

So if a 200 lb guy was training hard and met his protein needs with 164 grams of protein. which is 1.8g per kg. I can't possibly see him getting the same results as adding 400 calories from a chicken breast as adding 400 calories of straight up sugar. Especially if we are talking about for months on end. This is assuming the rest of his diet stays the same and the only thing is changing is taking away his extra protein and adding in 400 calories from sugar.
It may seem silly but as far as body mass is concerned a calorie is a calorie so adding 400 kcals of either chicken or table sugar to a eucaloric diet that already meets requirements for essential nutrients, which includes protein of course, will result in a near identical increase in body mass.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #40
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Arnold View Post
What about sugar (fructose) vs protein's effect on the liver?

Wouldn't that much sugar more quickly make a healthy individual less healthy than one taking in the same calories in protein?
Aside from tooth decay and sligthly looser stools 100g of fructose eaten over the course of the day, preferably from fruit, as part of a eucaloric diet won't cause a healthy adult any serious health problems. Eating 100g of pure fructose in a single sitting on the other hand....... well, if you want to try it all I'll say is make sure you've got plenty of toilet paper in the house and the rest of the day free.