Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 08-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Joe Hart

Default Acheiving Balance if your life.

So I have been thinking about this a little and came to realize that I have some (not much) balance in my life between work, training, wife, kids, and me(hobbies and what not). I am wondering how everyone else is doing with achieving balance and how you maintain it.

So I guess I will start....
I inspect boilers so I work out of my home. I can generally get the boys (6 and 8) on the bus go to work and be home to get them off the bus and do paperwork at home. I try and work out for about an hour at 1400 (for some reason the best time for me). I work out with no particular goal other than health and not be some bent old man when I am older. Other goals would be nice.

The boys have various activities during the week coming up this year. My wife (Darcy) works alot and gets home generally after dinner. Things are "OK" but I suspect they can be better. Also how do you make sure the significant other takes time for themselves? Darcy is not a by herself kind of person so I can't say "I have the kids, go have fun".

So when do you all work out? How long for warmups and does location change what you do ( Minnesota compared to Florida). How long are workouts? Does it seem like adequate time?

What do you do? Yes it is kind of personal I promise not to tell
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Why not have your boys workout with you for some bonding time? Or Wife workout with you?

Although I would not normally encourage signfiicant others coaching their other.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Joe,
Interesting thought. I struggle but manage with the same sort of set up. I'm very blessed in that my wife and eldest daughter often train with me. Moreover, I'm a bit of an insomniac that goes weeks on end with a little more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Great for getting stuff done and my business partners, but it catches up with me every so often as I overeat and nearly sleep an entire weekend.

I'm a trial lawyer, so if it's on my schedule it gets done and I am very locked to my calender given my work, my daughters, and my hobby. I have a very understanding wife that picks up the slack when I'm in trial, but otherwise we do a very good job with the young ones.

I am somewhat blessed in that I do not require much sleep. I bill a lot of hours, and train as much as my body will let me. I normally start my weight sessions around 4:00 to 4:30 in the morning. It begins with foam rolling/self myofascial release, then goes to a yoga/tai chi/joint mobility session. Then I wake up the wife and go hit the iron; she doesn't require all the pre-workout stuff I do. I normally wrap up around 7 or before. During the school year, I tend to get two weekday workouts like this and a third during a lunch time at our local Y. During the summer, I train exclusively at home because of the kids and that's when my sport is in season.

I do my event work in the evenings on my off weight training days. If my schedule allows and I have a goal in mind, I may cut a work day a bit short and get home so I have more daylight. My eldest daughter has taken a serious liking to my sport and she olympic lifts as well. She normally lifts when I do my event work. Sometimes she axe throws or crosscut saws while I'm doing the same. It's really quite a fun bonding time. Throwing axes with your 13 year old daughter - who is actually starting to beat me now.

The quest for balance is difficult. But necessary. I never say "I've got the kids." It's best to just take them and go - just pose the statement as "The kids and I want to go to XXXXX, do you want to go with us?" At least I've found that works. That and pre-bedtime foot massages.

Good luck.

All the best, Arden
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Why not have your boys workout with you for some bonding time? Or Wife workout with you?

Although I would not normally encourage signfiicant others coaching their other.
Try coaching your kids. It's even worse.

My favorite quote I get from my wife when I coach her in the gym or with an axe is "you think I'm doing it wrong." I try to say something to the effect of, "You're doing it great, but I'm trying to show you how to do it better." Somehow, the communication lines DO NOT mesh. Mars/Venus thingy I reckon?

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Try coaching your kids. It's even worse.

My favorite quote I get from my wife when I coach her in the gym or with an axe is "you think I'm doing it wrong." I try to say something to the effect of, "You're doing it great, but I'm trying to show you how to do it better." Somehow, the communication lines DO NOT mesh. Mars/Venus thingy I reckon?

All the best,
Arden
No that feeling well.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote