Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #1861
Samuel Hughes

Yeah, I was just curious why they were cropping up. I like the thought, hope it works well. Good luck with your training.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #1862
Derek Simonds

15 Sept Wed PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Screwed around for about 15 minutes before class. Class was same as Monday except A/C was broken. I was extremely thankful that I had to pick Jr up from Gymnastics and hauled ass.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1863
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I don't remember when I started putting them in my log but it hasn't been long and I haven't been consistent. Every time I lift I mentally assign an RPE so I can keep track of what I am going to do next lifting session. Right now I am in a real basic rebuilding phase of linear progression and the purpose of the RPE's is for me to determine if I am going to go up 5 lb's or 1 LB the next session. So far it has all been 5 lb increases so kind of a mute point.

How I will use it though will be next Wednesday when I PC I will back up to 155 and work on my form and then start increasing from there once I feel I am good. I didn't log it but my bench work on Monday was a solid 9. I am going to get 200 X 5 X 3 and then like I said go to 5 lb's per every 2 workouts. 2lb's one workout then 3 more lb's the next workout and so on.

When I get to a point where everything is a 9 all the time I am going to reset and go back on 5/3/1 and see where I go from there. I am interested in what my buddy Chili is doing and might go that route based on what I see from him and how he likes his workout plan.

Hope that answers the question.
Nice approach. solid discipline as well.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #1864
Derek Simonds

16 September Thursday

Morning was going to run but just wasn't feeling it. Ended up doing 20 minutes of mobility, stretching and pre-hab stuff then did some elbow flexion and extension.

Lunch No-Gi: Wow we had a stacked class today. There was Jonathan from TUF, a guy getting ready for a fight in Japan a wrestling coach, a couple of other pro MMA team members and us regular guys. We worked some kimura stuff then did monkey in the middle with Jim, Jonanthon and Eric. Started with takedowns. I did ok and even stuffed one of the pro guys shoots with a good sprawl, he did take me down though. I was able to get a couple of takedowns. Somewhere in the midst of all that I took a shot to the heel bone of my right foot and I can hardly put pressure on it. We took a break and then did pass or sweep for the rest of the class. I was able to pass every time I was up. I do enjoy No-Gi for that part of it. When you are sweating it makes the passes much easier.

Now here is my thought for today. There is a point in the pass where 99% of people will give up and let you by, it is a true fighter that doesn't concede that pass and keeps fighting to prevent you from securing position.

I love the energy when there are guys training for something big. Not just training but getting ready for a battle! That changes everything.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #1865
Derek Simonds

My heel is f***ed up! Ice and ibuprofen aren't really changing anything. Glad I am not fighting tomorrow. Now I am not sure if I can do the testing this week. No way I could triple jump right now.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #1866
Allen Yeh

That sucks!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #1867
Derek Simonds

17 September 2010 Lunch

BJJ Competition Class / Open Mat:

Drilled for 25 minutes with one of my friends on all the stuff I have been working lately. Had a great go with him and cleaned up some of the moves I have been working. Then I had the privilege to grapple with a couple of our black belts. The first guy I ended up with closed guard secured my favorite underhook collar grab and then he shoved my other hand under my body to his hand I had trapped behind my back. It effectively was his free hand against me with no hands as both my hands were busy. It was a very interesting position for a few moments. And if a guy is strong that is very hard grip to break. Unfortunately after a scramble he tried to pull me into a triangle and I dropped my knee to block and kneed him square in the family jewels... I apologized to him profusely as I know how bad that sucks!

I grappled with Fabin after that for about 20 minutes. It was incredible. He is so dynamic and I spend way too much time defending but that my friends is the difference in skill. We had several rolling sweeps where I was sure I had him and yet somehow he was never where I planned by the time we landed. I used an MMA guard pass and was just about clear when he got an inside out arm lock on me and I begged for mercy. Worst part is I saw it coming and just couldn't react fast enough.

During one of the rolls with Fabin as I was escaping side control he tried to turn into me and secure my head and I ate a vicious elbow to the button. I saw stars momentarily and then muddled on with my escape. Whenever that happens I always think about a quote I heard somewhere paraphrased here. "Everybody has a plan until they get hit square in the kisser!" I agree.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #1868
Derek Simonds

20 September 2010 Monday

I did absolutely nothing this weekend. I watched a ton of college football on Saturday. Did the same with the pros yesterday. The pros were interesting because AT&T gave a free preview to the NFL redzone channel and that was nice. If you have ADD in any way and like football the redzone channel is the way to go. At the end of the day they said there was 63 touchdowns scored and they showed every one. I made the Texas Chili off 70's Big. It was a huge hit.

Tracy and Jr are down with really bad colds. Laney and I are good as of now and are avoiding contact with those two. My sister in TN father in law passed away unexpectedly last night and I waiting to hear the funeral plans. I wasn't close with Sam but am with my sister and her husband so I plan on traveling there based on when the funeral is. The reason why I mention the funeral is I got the text at 2:00 AM and it really weighed on my mind as I was working out. There is no reason not to let the people in your life know every day how special they are to you. We just don't know what the next day brings.

Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Rolling

BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X5, 185 X 3, 205 X 5,5,5
Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 5,5,5
P/U's 4,5,6,7,8,4

Like I said I was very introspective this morning and the time alone in the gym helped me a ton. Laney hung out with me while I finished my last sets. On the press she said how many do you need to do. I said 5 she said ok I will watch and if I think you need to I will tell you to do 6. I laughed out loud. It is awesome to have kids around. Let's see RPE today BS 7, press 8.5 (they were really slow going up).

Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #1869
Derek Weaver

Sorry to hear about the death Derek. Good self reflection/introspection.

Different subject, but how's the heel?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #1870
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Sorry to hear about the death Derek. Good self reflection/introspection.

Different subject, but how's the heel?
Thanks. The heel is still sore. Taking the weekend off made a huge difference. I iced it a lot and it is coming along nicely. I am pretty sure it was a bone bruise or something similar. Last night at BJJ a girl that was watching told her mom that guy isn't doing the jumping jacks and I laughed. No jumping or running as of now for me.

20 Sept 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked bear hug self defense, armbar sweep, butterfly sweep and cross collar choke. I had another new guy with no martial arts or wrestling but was a bouncer at a biker bar. He went everything full f'ing tilt. It was fun to wrok with him and he kept telling me how much fun he was having. I think he will be back.

21 Sept 2010 AM

Supposed to have a private with Mark and Fabin. I drove in and right when I got to the academy I got a text from Mark that he was puking and wasn't going to make it. Fabin got the same text and turned around and went home. I went to Chik-Fil-A and had breakfast. Sucks when you drive 45 minutes for nothing but totally understand. I went ahead and came to work and handled some emails and am going to make my final decision on the funeral.

Hopefully I can get in a workout session tonight at home.