Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Jesse Burroughs

Default Poor College Powerlifter with split routine

I am a college powerlifter and I am just getting off of a rather long layoff. I spent about three weeks doing a starting strength type routine to regain some strength. Everything has gone up pretty well except for my bench which is rather pitifull right now. Anyways I am sick of that and I am switching to a four day split routine hopefully to get my bench to go up. This is what I have come up with so far. I referenced practical programming but I dont want to do anything retarded so if I could get some input that would be awesome. Thank you very much!

Monday
Bench Press 5 x 5
Shoulder Press 5 x 3
Rows 5 x 3
Barbell shrugs 6 x 3

Tuesday
Squat 5 x 5
Romanian Deadlifts 6 x 3
Abs

Wednesday - rest

Thursday
Bench 3 x 3
Push Press 3 x 3
Weighted Pullups 8 x 3

Friday
Front Squat 5 x 2
Deadlift 3 x 1
Ab Workout
Jesse Burroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Dave Van Skike

i like it. very well thought out.

given your DL is that close to the weekend, i bet you can push the volume a little more, 6 sets of 2 or 10x1. at an easy %, say 80% or so. adding weight each week.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Jon Sikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Burroughs View Post
I am a college powerlifter and I am just getting off of a rather long layoff. I spent about three weeks doing a starting strength type routine to regain some strength. Everything has gone up pretty well except for my bench which is rather pitifull right now. Anyways I am sick of that and I am switching to a four day split routine hopefully to get my bench to go up. This is what I have come up with so far. I referenced practical programming but I dont want to do anything retarded so if I could get some input that would be awesome. Thank you very much!

Monday
Bench Press 5 x 5
Shoulder Press 5 x 3
Rows 5 x 3
Barbell shrugs 6 x 3

Tuesday
Squat 5 x 5
Romanian Deadlifts 6 x 3
Abs

Wednesday - rest

Thursday
Bench 3 x 3
Push Press 3 x 3
Weighted Pullups 8 x 3

Friday
Front Squat 5 x 2
Deadlift 3 x 1
Ab Workout
How advanced are you?

Do you have plans on progression when something goes stale?

A thought regarding Friday. In general, I like the front squat paired with deadlifts. It's a nice combination. A lighter squat, go heavy on the DL. They're complementary.

BUT, I would choose an exercise to target a weak point of your squat that is more similar to the competition movement. I'm also of the opinion that most powerlifters don't emphasize the deadlift enough.

On Friday, I would do something like:

Deadlift
Pause Squats
Abs

You could probably toss in another supplementary leg movement (nothing too hard, lunges or something higher rep) or grip work, or whatever else you need work on.
Jon Sikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Geoffrey Thompson

How are you planning on loading up those presses? I don't know if doing 3x5 presses after 5x5 benches will get you much. Have you considered doing the Ed Coan idea of one day doing Bench and chest and triceps assistance and one day doing CG Bench, heavy presses, and other shoulder assistance? Here's exactly what he says:
Quote:
Wednesday I go in and do all chest and triceps, usually two sets of regular bench, two sets of extra-wide grip inclines, a set of high-rep flyes, then I'll go to triceps. Lying dumbbell extensions with a hammer grip, stretch it as far as I can, for three sets. Then I'll do pushdowns for three sets; sometimes I'll throw in some dips, depending upon how my shoulder feels.

Saturday I come in, do some close-grip benches, then I work my shoulders, which is usually behind-the-necks or seated militaries. Then I do front and side laterals, maybe a couple sets of curls, then I work my forearms and a little grip.
He went very heavy on the shoulder work, so it's essentially one heavy bench day with chest and triceps assistance, then a heavy press day with shoulder assistance (and close-grip benches).

But my benches and presses really suck, so you may not want to listen to me.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

if his focus is fixing bench he could do a lot worse than having a very simple, high volume bench day, lower volume bench day routine.

i'm assuming the assistance had a sound reason? shoulder work and push presses are legit assist. plenty of people
Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Jesse Burroughs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
if his focus is fixing bench he could do a lot worse than having a very simple, high volume bench day, lower volume bench day routine.

i'm assuming the assistance had a sound reason? shoulder work and push presses are legit assist. plenty of people
Ya Im not to worried about my shoulder strength as my pressing strength has gone back up to about what it was. I am just trying to get my bench caught up and get improvement on the other lifts as well. I think I will add some more sets to deads on friday. I was also planning on doing some forearm stuff after my upper body days anyways. Also advanced wise I am an intermediate lifter with roughly two years of lifting experiance with some breaks in there.
Jesse Burroughs is offline   Reply With Quote