Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #21
Dave Van Skike

why is this thread failing? one word....

Back to CNS/Bulgarians/Daily Squatting and other things which are awesome.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #22
Grissim Connery

The hockey analogy doesn't exactly compare to strength/endurance sports. In competitive sports with an opponent, you conserve your energy until you need to use it.

if comparing hockey to lifting weights, the dude would be more like a furniture mover than an OL. the furniture mover doesn't try to max out his ability to move weights on every go. he plans out which things to move when, and mentally takes note of times like going down stairs and such when it's gonna take more effort.

in hockey you sprint when you need to and set up position when that's needed.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
Garrett Smith

I will say this, I found the part in that original article about serotonin influencing the intensity of muscle contraction very interesting. I may be experimenting with this in the future.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Chad, the CNS is like the boogeyman. Stop believing in it, and it will stop bothering you. Just saying the letters CNS will take 2% off your total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
John Broz has continually said on the internet that his interest in building weightlifters is mainly guided by making money and taking his lifters to any country that pays and supports them the best.
What's wrong with this?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #25
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I will say this, I found the part in that original article about serotonin influencing the intensity of muscle contraction very interesting. I may be experimenting with this in the future.
Yeah, I'm not too sure about that part of the science since I've never seen that before.

Generally, in motor learning and muscle contraction is an all or none phenomena and neural strength is regulated by increasing recruitment, rate coding (frequency), synchronous contraction, and a couple of other factors.

I never seen anything that suggested serotonin in the in the brain is involved with increased intensity of muscular contraction. Even googling this there is nothing on it.

I looked at the abstracts that were posted and most of it is on peripheral serotonin, and most of them were on blood vessel effects, and I tihnk one was on attentuation of tension so..... I'm not exactly sure where he's getting the serotonin chemistry from. It seems bunk unless better resources are posted.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
Garrett Smith

I'm not one to ever believe that we'll fully understand neurochemistry.

I don't want to go read the original article again, but I didn't notice where he was talking about brain serotonin, I was under the impression he was talking about peripheral serotonin...so that first link he posted http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...492609/?page=1 seems to bear this out.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I'm not one to ever believe that we'll fully understand neurochemistry.

I don't want to go read the original article again, but I didn't notice where he was talking about brain serotonin, I was under the impression he was talking about peripheral serotonin...so that first link he posted http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...492609/?page=1 seems to bear this out.
Yeah, I read that one.

The funny thign is that there's no significant research on that from that point (1970s) on which I find hard to believe if it was really that important.

Plus the fact that they were injecting 5mg/kg of serotonin into the animals makes me think that it probably doesn't occur that way in the human body

It does seem to influence the presynaptic release of acetylcholine, but even then those nerve transmissions to alpha motor neurons are still all or nothing. Varying the intensity of a-motor doesn't increase strength; you have to increase firing rate of a-motors (or amount of a-motors) to get increases in neural aspects of strength

edit: just auth'd you John Broz so hopefully you can clear up some of the stuff for us? (if that's actually him).

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-23-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #28
Garrett Smith

Broz didn't write that stuff. A guy named Brent did.

A quick search of PubMed would seem to show that serotonin and the NMJ is still being studied...Temperature dependent modulation of lobster neuromuscular properties by serotonin and Characterization of prejunctional serotonin receptors modulating [3H]acetylcholine release in the human detrusor, among others.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #29
Steven Low
Super Moderator

SSRIs actually attenuate performance in this study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11441370

This one too:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10919962

If anything I think exercise would downregulate serotonin receptors in an attempt to decrease fatigue for the adaptation that we're looking for

I haven't seen any compelling evidence that shows serotonin is important peripherally though...

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-23-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #30
Steve Shafley

Speculation at best. If it fits with his experience, then cool.

Cillis: From what you've said previously here, and what I've seen you post on Facebook, you are fond of ignoring the advice on topics that you specifically ask people about, wasting everybody's time and effort.

I see John Broz joined up. Maybe he can comment on this stuff. He seems to be fond of googling his name and seeing what folks are saying about him and his athletes.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote