Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Lift and run. Forget the metcons until you've reached your goal. You will be fine.
Wendler 531 was a great recommendation, Dr. G. I'm feeling really good on it. I can't wait till my foot is back to 100% so I can start some sprint work and prowler sled for my accessory work. I'm getting bored with air squats and pistols.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like CFE? I've never trained for a marathon, but I used to CFE to lower my 3 mile run for the USMC PFT, and my 5K went from 22:33 to 18:53. Certainly nothing spectacular, but I took nearly 4 minutes in about 3 months. I realize that's a comparatively short distance, but what is the shortcoming of CFE for longer distances?
Like Joe said, CFE tends to = DNF. People that do CFE and excel were usually successful athletes to begin with. As is usually the case with CF of any "form".

It's been said all over this board on numerous occasions but: "Work capacity across broad time and modal domains" means that you'll probably not suck at anything, except whatever actually matters to your sport. Unless your sport is thrusters, overhead kettlebell swings, vomiting and rhabdo. Even that's questionable.

It's pretty out there to believe that one could be good at long distance endurance events while never running anything more than a 10k. And rarely at that.

If someone wants to be good at 10k and up races, they need a deep bank of work capacity in the actual "modal domain" required from which to draw and build. Not saying that every training run is going to be a marathon... that's stupid too. Keep the marathon for race day. But nobody became a world champion marathoner by doing Heavy Fran and 100m repeats with the occasional 5k or 10k thrown in.

I think I saw something by Joel Jamieson on his site noting that even in fighters, who have a serious anaerobic requirement, they need to do more longer distance, lower intensity work. Boxers have done this for ages. Sprint/speed work is important, but low intensity work is the goods for any sport requiring a sustained effort.

If a fighter needs that kind of base to build on, why wouldn't an endurance athlete?

/soap box.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
David Klotz
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Default

One further question if I may..what are some books that are considered must "reads" in regards to lifting?

I have Starting Strength, reading Pavel's kettlebell book currently. I hear alot of talk of a book called "Supertraining".

I don't know if this is too general of a question ---but what should I be reading?
David Klotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post

I think I saw something by Joel Jamieson on his site noting that even in fighters, who have a serious anaerobic requirement, they need to do more longer distance, lower intensity work. Boxers have done this for ages. Sprint/speed work is important, but low intensity work is the goods for any sport requiring a sustained effort.

If a fighter needs that kind of base to build on, why wouldn't an endurance athlete?

/soap box.
Thanks Derek, that makes sense to me. I didn't know if you had a specific issue with CFE or just the programming as a whole. I know from my experience, the interval work improved my short distance runs, but I've never trained for a marathon. I can appreciate the boxing comparison though, I boxed for a few years (or perhaps I should say I boxed poorly for a few years), and it's amazing how much energy you expend in a 2 (or 3 for higher levels) minute round.

It seems like the general consensus here is that CF is bogus and only makes you better at CF. More of a training tool than a training program.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Klotz View Post
One further question if I may..what are some books that are considered must "reads" in regards to lifting?

I have Starting Strength, reading Pavel's kettlebell book currently. I hear alot of talk of a book called "Supertraining".

I don't know if this is too general of a question ---but what should I be reading?
Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting is awesome. I reference and check it regularly. It's very good for addressing errors and correcting them.

Practical Programming is a good supplement to Starting Strength.

The Wendler 531 ebook is good if you're interested in trying that program. There's enough free "calculator" spreadsheets out there though that you don't necessarily need the manual.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Thanks Derek, that makes sense to me. I didn't know if you had a specific issue with CFE or just the programming as a whole. I know from my experience, the interval work improved my short distance runs, but I've never trained for a marathon. I can appreciate the boxing comparison though, I boxed for a few years (or perhaps I should say I boxed poorly for a few years), and it's amazing how much energy you expend in a 2 (or 3 for higher levels) minute round.

It seems like the general consensus here is that CF is bogus and only makes you better at CF. More of a training tool than a training program.
I'll make this my last post on this since we went off when Greg and Robb were excommunicated, and there's a whole thread on this at another forum approaching 1 million views.

CF only makes you good at mediocrity. Nothing elite about it. CFE, CF Football, doesn't matter if you ask me. The only current affiliate I would think about would be San Francisco Crossfit. It took a long time for me to see the light, but now that I have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Klotz View Post
One further question if I may..what are some books that are considered must "reads" in regards to lifting?

I have Starting Strength, reading Pavel's kettlebell book currently. I hear alot of talk of a book called "Supertraining".

I don't know if this is too general of a question ---but what should I be reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting is awesome. I reference and check it regularly. It's very good for addressing errors and correcting them.

Practical Programming is a good supplement to Starting Strength.

The Wendler 531 ebook is good if you're interested in trying that program. There's enough free "calculator" spreadsheets out there though that you don't necessarily need the manual.
Just read the 5/3/1 interview on T Nation and look up the various calculators out there, like Chad said. Don't bother with Supertraining unless you like being bored. I went through it a little at my library. Boring.

If you want to learn about strength training and don't care about the Olympic Lifts, I would just go through Eric Cressey archives, Mike Robertson archives (both are good injury prevention/corrective guys), everything Dave Tate wrote for T Nation, and then Practical Programming. Do google searches for Glenn Pendlay's various forum posts. He's been on Lyle's board and Thibaudeau has/had a Q&A thread for him recently.

Look up Joe Defranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards Parts 1, 2, 3 for more perspective.

I hear the RTS manual is fully legit as well.

Don't forget to read everything Dan John wrote for T Nation, and elsewhere.

If you get the RTS manual and Practical Programming you're about $60 invested, but all that information I mentioned would keep you busy for weeks.

Or you could just get Practical Programming and call it a day until it's necessary to read further.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
Donald Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 646
Default

I think Pavel's "Power to the People Professional" is up there, too. "Beyond Bodybuilding" looks good, too, but I haven't gotten to reading it yet.

If you'd like to know a bit more sciency but still very practical stuff, I'd go with Arthur Dreschler's "Weightlifting Encyclopedia."
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I'll make this my last post on this since we went off when Greg and Robb were excommunicated, and there's a whole thread on this at another forum approaching 1 million views.

CF only makes you good at mediocrity. Nothing elite about it. CFE, CF Football, doesn't matter if you ask me. The only current affiliate I would think about would be San Francisco Crossfit. It took a long time for me to see the light, but now that I have...
Yeah, I read that thread when the black box summit happened. I took it with a grain of salt figuring that everyone was really just mad at @F HQ and wanted to show their support for Greg and Robb who were clearly in the right.

I think as far as any sport goes, no one gets elite by crosstraining. So, it makes sense to say if you want to be marathon runner then run or if you want to be a downhill skier then ski.

The only hang up for me is that I know many SEALs, Rangers, Marines, and Special Forces operators swear by "Crossfit style" training. For example, Fatal Fitness has been touting extremely long and grueling metcons as a way to prepare for everything from long ruck marches and runs to kicking in doors and sprinting. Then again, the military is always slow to change, so I guess it only figures that they'd start to adopt CF at the same time people are recognizing its failure to produce "elite" fitness.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Dave Coughlin
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
Default

The main aspect relative to training for one's first marathon is twofold, IMO:
-Developing an aerobic base
-Getting your body used to working for an usually duration of time

The Galloway method is a very slow and steady way to build up miles/time running, you may want to look into that. The way it is programmed, CFE would best benefit a distance runner/triathlete that already has a sufficient aerobic base. Gordo Byrn wrote a book called Going Long; although it is intended for ultra distance triathlon training, there are several outstanding nuggets of info regarding the run portion of IM training.

I'm not sure how much strength you would actually gain while on this hybrid + marathon program. Assuming you would have one LSD running day (long slow distance training), I would figure that would put your body in a fairly catabolic state. even with 2-3 solid 531/short MCs days during the week; a constant stalemate within your body might be the best you can do....


Sidenote: I have several half IMs and one IM finish, all at a bodyweight around 225#. I'm now just finishing up my third 5/3/1 cycle, and I'm at 240ish. I usually do one half-mary every Feb, and finish right around 2hrs give or take. Next Feb, I am looking to run my first stand-alone marathon, and I would like to keep doing strength training, not unlike the OP. Realistically, I may have to put the strength gains on the back burner, while I rev up my aerobic base. Ideally, I would like to keep my strength losses at a minimum. I'll start this programming around Thanksgiving methinks...
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Spencer Mackay
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 43
Default

Outstanding weight loss, great work.
Spencer Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator