Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Mark Fenner

I've been really run down: between weeks of moving boxes, too much driving, house hunting, and some very annoying respiratory congestion, things have been a bit rough.

It's about 90+ degrees and 90+% humidity with a blessed light breeze outside. I did some rounds of:

5 tree pulls ups
5 Assym KB C+P
1 Hill "Trot" of around 70 yards on a light slope (would be a sprint, but my hammies aren't 100%)

I got 5 rounds and had to stop for an extended water break. Then, I did 3 more rounds. Not sure what day I'll get back to barbells. However, I'm quite happy that my shoulder/rc issues seem to be pretty well under control. Some rehab, different exercises, and extended rest seem to have done me good.
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Mark Fenner

Life as a wandering nomad continues to scatter my training.

I'm getting back into a PL SQ groove (had been doing a more Oly style): one day, 3 of 5 @ 225; another day, 3 of 5 @ 275. I've been doing some box-paused safety bar squatting. These end up being fairly wide stance. Man, they really hammer the hammies. In particular, the inner (adductor) ones. The lower body has also been enjoying some trap bar DLs.

BP has been napping (3 of 5 @ 175 or a more ambitious 2,3,5 @ 175). Overhead pressing has been alive though. Several days of log pressing, random KB pressing, and some nice doubles with a 32kg KB (right and left). Followed up the 32s with sets of 12 @ 24kg on both sides.

My PL SQ form must be at least somewhat dialed in. A guy commented, "You must be a Rippetoe guy." I said, "Huh?" I thought he said "You must be a grip toe guy". A few repeats cleared it up. But that is my generic form: medium stance, lower bar placement (but not absurd), closer hand spacing, neutral head, lots of hip drive.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Mark Fenner

Still nomadic, although we'll at least be in temporary housing (stable) on Saturday! We'll also get to see Mom. Yay.

Training has basically fallen off the proverbial cliff. However, in the last week or two I have gotten in (1) a bit of KB'ing and (2) rehab hip stuff. Unfortunately, my whole left hip girdle has been very unhappy with me. Fortunately, it seems to be responding to some band work (4 direction hip movements), hip flexor stretching, IT stretching and rolling, etc. It's one of those things where you take a week off, it becomes two weeks off, things just get worse (from sitting, etc.). Finally, you get ticked off enough to do some "sissy rehab exercises" and, voila, you have some relief and progress. I did sneak about 5 days of hard-core ibuprofen and icing in with only minimal benefits. The ibuprofen felt good, but it didn't make any lasting dent. Anyway, on to more interesting things:

Today I did 3 rounds with KBs of:
2rh c+p, 2pu, 2lh c+p, 2pu; 3 same; 5 same; 8l c+p, 8r c+p.

rh means "right heavy": i.e., the right hand had my 24kg and my left hand had my 16kg. lh means "left heavy". You don't say! l and r mean left and right by themselves with the 24kg. The pulls ups were on a tree branch which meant three things: (1) uneven grip heights (I balanced them by flipping within the rounds), (2) bouncy bar (the limb shifts around a bit and I'm trying not to break it! parents would be a bit upset! um yes, we're staying at my folks), and (3) thick bar grip training - definitely have to false grip and squeeze, knots in the wood help a bit.

Not sure how long it took. About an hour. The end of the 2nd and all of the 3rd rounds also involved playing soccer and t-ball with my son (as active rest, of course!). He also want to do a few pushups. The last round: the 5 pull ups were broken (4+1 then 3+2); the 8 c+p were broken on the left side (7+1).

Doing some math, it looks like 2+3+5 = 10 ... x 2 = 20 ... x 3 = 60 pulls ups. And it should be 60 + (8 x 3) = 84 heavy c+p. And then 60 light c+p. A nice workout under a tree with some playtime thrown in.

I need to find some video of someone who knows what they are doing on a double KB c+p. I feel like I can't get my hips jackknifed quite enough with two bells. It feels like I end up too upright (more of the dreaded squaty KB movements).
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Mark Fenner

Less "wandering nomad" and more "living in a box nomad" these days. But, I did string together several days of training. Did a 3 of 5, "get back into it", day: 3 of 5 on SQ, BP, DL, MP. Light weights and just moving. It was enough to tire me out.

Did some KB days. One was more movement+recovery oriented. One was more strength oriented. Movement+recovery looked like Maxercist rows and presses (e.g., b/o row on one leg, standing press on one leg), get ups, and windmills. Strength day was C+P with a single KB. Both days, I snuck in some field mobility work (walking knee raises, leg swings, lunges, lunges with reaching, 1-leg toe touching). C+P day had a circuit:

(2 C+P r, 2 C+P l, jog ~70y, 2 PU, jog ~70y; 3, 3, jog, 3, jog; 5, 5, jog 5, jog) X 3.

Kept track of time + average HR:

7:15/160
3:00/101 (rest)
7:53/167
2:58/118 (rest)
7:55/169

Took about 5 minutes walking and drinking water to get down to about 115. And man, it was getting hot already (hot days, here in the Northeast).
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
Mark Fenner

Saturday PM:
1:45 mtn biking - decent pace, technique is improving quite a bit

Tuesday AM.
Another KB C+P day. Circuits of: C+P r, C+P l, jog, PU, jog. Added a (2,3,5) round and a (2,3) round. So, it looked like:
(2,3,5) x 4 + (2,3)

Times for the (2,3,5) rounds were all around 8:15 or so. The (2,3) round was around 5:00. Rest between rounds was 2:00. Rest after exercises was "one step up" breaths (2 reps -> 3 breaths; 3 ->5; 5->10). Took a few extra breaths between circuits rep progression (after the second "trot").

Total time was around 46:00. (**)

Tuesday PM:
??? mtn. biking - more rests, better pace b/t rests???, technique was ok
(possibly AM KB'ing took more out of me than I though)

Hopefully, I'll grab a barbell workout on Th or Fri.

(**) Geez. That turned into a longer slug fest. So, 46 min. for 40 PU, 80 C+P, 28 x ~65y = 1820y = ~1 mile. 8 min of explicit rest + breathing rest. Hummmmm.

Only the last round, last circuit of 5 was pushing into suck. I'd like to get up to rounds of (2,3,5,10) but the 10 pull ups will be a real problem. I could do them jumping; I could break them up (but 10 would still be tough after the 2,3,5); I could go to something like rounds of (2, 4, 8, 16) for C+P and (1,2,4,8) of PU. The 8 would still be tough. Maybe (2,4,8,12) and (1,2,4,6). Maybe try a few of them and report back.

A shorter, more intense version would be nice too. Picking up the running would do it quickly. But, I'd like more work on the P of C+P. Maybe C+2xP?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Mark Fenner

Quote:
A shorter, more intense version would be nice too. Picking up the running would do it quickly. But, I'd like more work on the P of C+P. Maybe C+2xP?
Well, figured out the shorter, more intense version. I did my C+P with as double C+P (two KBs, one heavier -- 24kg, one lighter -- 16kg). So, the rounds looked like 2xKB C+P (l. hvy), 2xKB C+P (r. hvy), jog, PullUp, jog. They felt like ... ugh.

I only got through two rounds of 2,3,5 and the second round of 5s wasn't complete. I missed my last r. hvy press and I had to rest to get my last pull up. I kept track of the times, but I'm now ashamed of them. In the second round, I also rested longer, while having a conversation with a guy who was intrigued by my workout.

So, what can I blame it on? I'm working on a cold, sleep has been crummy, I had my shake before hand (normally it's coffee only), and there was a blue moon. Also, I was/am dealing with a partially sliced off pad of my index finger (mtn. biking crash -- somewhat spectacular). Seriously, it's always interesting how much habit and sameness play into performance. Manipulate a few things and all of a sudden, it's like learning to walk again.

For the record, the times were about: 7:40, 2:00, 11:00.

Hopefully, we'll try this 2xKB workout again and see how it goes. Maybe, I'll try rounds of (2, 3, 2, 3) next time (i.e., split the 5 up a bit).
Old 09-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #17
Mark Fenner

Tue & Fri (Sept. 21 & 24): Mtn. biking. Both rides were pretty good. Definitely hit some technical stuff on Friday that had been holding me back. Couple nice shin bangers.

Sun (Sept. 26): Field mobility & movement & KBs.
5 rounds of 2/3/5: r cp/l cp/jog/pull up/ jog. 10 breaths b/t rungs, 2:00 b/t rounds.
Times: 7:00/2:00/6:53/2:00/7:11/2:00/7:30/2:00/7:19 -> 44:00 (36 work, 8 rest).
50 reps of each exercise; ~1 mile trotting

Also working on the MobilityWOD with John S.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
Mark Fenner

Ah, got a great ride at Frances Slocum on a great, sunny, Fall Sunday. It is one of those days when you just have a $h!t eating grin on your face -- for the rest of the day. Several thoughts from the ride and training for the last couple weeks.

As I threw at on Facebook:

The interplay between "cardio" and "strength" is really amazing when you're doing something in the "real" world (i.e., not marathons and powerlifting). Yes, yes, I know, there's always call for people to run messages about battles ... and deadlift buses off of stranded citizens. But, let me get to a point.

From around Aug. 29 to Oct. 3 (five weeks), I road 1-2 times a week. I squatted about 3 times in the same period and I hit a bunch of KB workouts. I had two "really good" (relative to me, of course) rides in there. Both were the 2nd ride in the week, and both were when I was more rested (didn't KB the same day or SQ the previous day or two). There were still some obstacles and terrain that gave me grief.

Fast forward two weeks. Over two weeks, I've squatted five times (if you are doing the math, I included Oct. 1 SQs in both counts). Lotsa SQs (Smolov style days but only two a week). I didn't bike at all. I didn't KB at all. So, what happened with my riding? Some of you can probably guess. I was able to destroy some obstacles that had really been a problem. I was able to climb steeper terrain more easily. I had a MUCH deeper low gear. I had enough extra to give a pop with my legs to help life my front wheel. Great! Right?

Well, yes; but ... There is a trade-off. I gassed really easily. The combination of putting out more (man)power and having a less well-tuned CV system leds to some serious attempted to loose my breakfast and a lung. Loosing the edge on my skill also meant more effort for some similar results. Bringing together the extra gear with some tuned skill would probably solve most of the riding problems I have at Slocum (just about everything is almost in my reach). Hamming through it is another issue.

In a nutshell, you can see how bringing all the components together (cardio, strength, skill) at once ("peaking") can be a really powerful combination.

A summary of my experience today:
Skill keeps you out of trouble. Strength gets you out of trouble. Cardio keeps you going.

Forward thought: Looks like I'm going to try the Brothers Smolov (TBS) programming. It seems to have been pulled from its previous sites. I'll respect Dr. PP's intent and not share the specifics but suffice it to say that it is a similar "half Smolov" to what I've done before, although TBS has a different style of halving then the Pavel-Smolov.

Last edited by Mark Fenner : 10-17-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added forward thought.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
Rick Deckart
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fenner View Post
A summary of my experience today:
Skill keeps you out of trouble. Strength gets you out of trouble. Cardio keeps you going.

Forward thought: Looks like I'm going to try the Brothers Smolov (TBS) programming. It seems to have been pulled from its previous sites. I'll respect Dr. PP's intent and not share the specifics but suffice it to say that it is a similar "half Smolov" to what I've done before, although TBS has a different style of halving then the Pavel-Smolov.
You just earned a free hoodie plus three t-shirts, what size? And thanks for TBS!

Your in good company! The two Burgener sons and Glenn Pendlay will use the template and Pavel even speaks of the Smolov-Pütz cycle... Drop me a line with your words once your done! And friend me on FB!
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
Rick Deckart
Banned

Lightbulb

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47510

The excel sheet is there...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote