Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default Inov-8 shoes

Anyone bought or have any experience with these yet?

The Nike Frees are great but I'm looking for a shoe that won't get gravel stuck in them everytime I'm on an unimproved road. Distances >5K mostly. This is for the Army side of my life so Vibrams won't fly, even though I would like a new pair of those too....

It seems that the 230 is a good compromise between a complete road shoe and trail shoe. The trail shoes seem to have too much stuff on the bottom and would make them horrible for a regular road run but then most regular road shoes are terrible unsuited for gravel and the like.

Heading out to the mountains in the near future for a year and wanted to have a multi-purpose running/training shoe. Although I still might stash some Vibrams in my duffel......

Any input would be appreciated.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

Those look really nice. I tried to find them at Zappos but they didn't have that model. Did you find somewhere online to buy them?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
James Evans

I think they absolutely rock.

On my second pair of Terrocs now and I use them for hiking/mountain stuff as well as running. They seem a bit minimalist at first (but probably wouldn't do after Vibrams or Frees) but they become very comfortable.

Yes, not great on tarmac/pavements, certainly with the trail shoes Inov 8 started with. I'm not that familiar with the other stuff they're making.

One thing I've noticed is they are quite narrow, I need to take a half size up from my normal shoe.

In summary:

Light
Comfortable
Hard wearing (the tread loses its funkiness but it lasts)
A good price (not sure about the US)
Quick drying.
Fast.

And I've never had a blister with them.

Other's mileage may vary.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Narrow wouldn't be good, as I tend to be on the wider side.

Apparently the 230's are impossible to find right now after much googling. I just realize Kstar is wearing the 230's in some of his vids. Funny.

I saw that the New balance MT101 might be a good minimal trail/road shoe as well.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Jarod Barker

They're way too narrow for me. I like a wider shoe. The Brooks racer with the slight added stability (I'm terrible with model numbers, I think it was the t6, but maybe that was the one without the added stability) fits nicely for me because the forefoot is wide. However, I simply could not wear Inov-8s. I've tried a few different models and my foot actually hangs off the sides of the sole.

So, if you have wide feet, not the shoe for you. At least until they come out with widths.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote