Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Jarod Barker

Default Costochondritis

Does anybody else suffer from costochondritis occasionally? Mine seems to come and go, but there seems to be a correlation with shoulder presses. This seems counterintuitive to me, since I'd expect bench presses to be the problem, but instead, I find that after a shoulder press workout, my chest hurts like hell. And anytime I stretch my arms overhead, pull my shoulders back, or take a deep breath, my chest will actually pop. I think it's just a rib or two, but man does it hurt like hell. Oddly enough though, I don't find this happens after heavy jerks.

I've been looking for a solution for years, but my doc always just tells me to take 800mg 3x a day of motrin, which I never do since I've read ibuprofen actually slows healing. So, I just suck it up and wait for it to stop hurting.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Or advice on how to get rid of it? I do a ton of pullups, so I don't think it's a shoulder imbalance, but I could be wrong.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote