Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

The variables I was asking about concerned mat time. If you're going hard on the mat, your recovery resources will be limited. The most I would do is barbell complexes (sets of 3; google Dan John complexes) or circuit work twice a week.

But again, ask your coach.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Samuel Hughes

I'm only 22 but can tell you that, unless your a D1 prospect, high-school sports are a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Having gone to a state championship in high school and dabbled in recreational collegiate athletics, the two just don't compare. If you are even a decent wrestler, take that to its potential while you can. If lifting helps you do that, so be it, but listen to your coach. Otherwise, you can always get stronger later, while you may never get the chance to compete in that kind of environment again.

I know lifting is fun and fulfill's a lot of empowering desires, but I can tell you that competing in an arena that has actual pressure and fans and teammates/people who care tops a 500lb deadlift hands down. Figure out how to get better at wrestling and just do that.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Tanner Cook

Sam,
I totally agree man. I am not planning on wrestling in college (although I could go d3 no prob), and I don't plan on screwing up my wrestling season by over training. I love the competitive environment, which I also get in CrossFit competition (which I'd like to go far in after my athletic career) but I also gotta keep in mind that a couple months ago I totaled 145 kg at a USAW event, which is enough to qualify me for USAW schoolage nationals at 77 kilos this year, which is also a great opportunity that I'd love to capitalize on (especially since there are some schools offering oly lifting scholarships). I greatly appreciate the advice man.

-Tanner
Tanner Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Tanner Cook

Gant,
as for mat time, we drill for about 45 min, then 15 minutes of 40 second live bursts with a fair amount of rest between, then 10-15 minutes of core work and conditioning, so pretty high volume.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Cook View Post
I was introduced to strength training through crossfit when I was 11, also my father is a very knowledgeable coach, he was a gym owner/strength and conditioning coach/crossfit coach, so I never went though any body building half squatting stage.
-Tanner
i wish i had figured this stuff out back when i was a teenager.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Joe Hart

My bit....Found this info out there. One link is for off-season, but I thought I would include it.

http://www.training-conditioning.com...g_holds_1.html

http://www.training-conditioning.com/TC1707-41.pdf

http://www.training-conditioning.com/TC1707-42.pdf

http://www.training-conditioning.com/TC1707-43.pdf

I talked to the Head S&C for the U of Minn (Bob Rhode) wrestling team a while back to pick his brain and this is what I got.

Clean, squat, dips and pullups. Body control exercises and static holds. Intervals of 200 and 400m and running stairs. He didn't really differentiate between in season and off season.

I would think that strength training the day after matches would be the most beneficial. Twice a week. Open with cleans then squats and super set dips and pullups and then get out.

It is amazing how people will gladly talk to you about stuff if you ask. I don't know Bob Rhode at all. I emailed him asking if he had time to talk and he told me to call him. I did and that is what I got. Not a ton of info, but its better than nothing.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Derek Weaver

Tanner,
Whatever your coach wants you to do. We can all go and dig up resources and go into the nuances of what training may look like pre season, in season, off season etc. But all of that information is really for the coach.

You need to worry about important things, not Crossfit. Grades are important. Staying in your weight class, or the class your coach wants you in, is important. Staying healthy is important. Making sure you're ready to compete in the CF sectionals is not important. Not right now.

Oh, and being a teenager is very, very important.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Cook View Post
Gant,
as for mat time, we drill for about 45 min, then 15 minutes of 40 second live bursts with a fair amount of rest between, then 10-15 minutes of core work and conditioning, so pretty high volume.
You'll have to go by feel, again, with your coach's blessing.

On the other hand--and this is not advice--if you're a high school athlete with good genetics and you eat enough, you can do absolutely whatever the hell you want and recover from it. I did it. Even now, at 36, I can maintain a tremendous training volume (when you include matwork) and be ok. You probably can, too. Approach it conservatively and go from there.

Now get off these forums and enjoy your time in HS.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #19
Tanner Cook

sounds good gentlemen, thanks for the advice

-Tanner