Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Derek Weaver

Default X-Rays, SI Joint, Educated Patient...

A few months back I had a post where I questioned my lack of glute activation on my right side. It's been steadily improving. A variety of mobility drills, stretching, targeted activation stuff etc. has helped to even things out, though I have a long way to go.

Anyway, I started realizing some lower back pain, and then developed a popping through my pelvis on both sides. In addition, I get a pop kind of between the iliac crest and the outside of my left hip. Google says likely culprit is SI joint. Makes sense.

Went to the doctor, who is pretty on top of ex. phys for a GP, who said he thought it may be some funky stuff going on with a flexor tendon on the left side. Wasn't sure about the back pain. Worst the pain's ever been on a scale of 1-10 was a 6. I don't take any Tylenol or anything for less than a 7-8. Usual pain is like a 2-4 range.

He ordered an X-Ray and PT. X-Ray results came back with symptoms of arthritis, but nothing out of alignment, no factures etc. He also noted that I should maintain just about everything I have been doing so long as it doesn't cause more pain. At least until the PT gets to do his/her assessment.

The point of this long post is a) Does anyone know what kind of a flexor tendon issue could possibly mimic SI Joint issues? b) what should I be aware of going into my PT appointment to be an educated patient and get the most out of it.

I'm no stranger to PT work as I've been through it for ~9 months total pre and post op for my right shoulder, and did some work for a back and neck injury I had playing Rugby. Don't know as much about the hips and lumbar spine though.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Jarod Barker

Well, I'm not expert on the SI, but I can share my experience. My pelvis was actually anteriorly rotated, and it took seeing a chiro to show me that. He took and xray from the side and showed me that my lumbar was excessively curved and it carried over to my sacrum. Now, I realize my SI issues were separate from this, but I have to say, once we started addressing my "hyperlordosis" my SI symptoms abated. I can't say that that is your issue either, but you might find that loosening up some other areas and correcting any overly misaligned areas may have a carry over effect. Especially for something like a tendon.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Do what Starrett call informed freestyling for all the aspects of the muscles in your hip.... glutes, hip flexors, abductors, adductors, etc.

You'll usulaly find tight spots and for SI joint problems you'll usually find some stuff that's not the same on either side.

That should fix the problems if you can locate the tight spots.

Also consider using lacrosse ball or golf ball and rolling teh whole gluteal region from the sacrum area (especially along there) to the hip, glute medius and TFL. That tends to hit everything even the deep hip external rotators
Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Chris,
I've pretty much always been in anterior tilt. When I was younger I used to get crap for being swaybacked. Part of it was just having a big ass, other part was being tilted in the pelvis. Last couple months it's lessened. Still working on it.

Steven,
I definitely some issues regarding external rotation on the left side, where the problem is. I dig in to the areas with my thumb, tennis, lacrosse balls etc. I'm just wondering how, or if it could be a flexor tendon popping as I lower my leg. Almost like doing an active straight leg raise, on the way down, I get a big pop.

I guess it may just be an issue of needing months or longer to straighten it out.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It sounds like something (it could be a flexor tendon or anything) is pulling on the SI area which is popping because the SI area is gummed up by tight muscles of some sort.

Er, SI joint is more posterior? Is that or not? If it's between the hip and iliac crest it could be hip joint.

Both hips and Si joint tend to get gummed up by the same tight muscles cause a bunch of them cross is especially the glutes
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It sounds like something (it could be a flexor tendon or anything) is pulling on the SI area which is popping because the SI area is gummed up by tight muscles of some sort.

Er, SI joint is more posterior? Is that or not? If it's between the hip and iliac crest it could be hip joint.

Both hips and Si joint tend to get gummed up by the same tight muscles cause a bunch of them cross is especially the glutes
Right, SI joint being more posterior makes sense to me in that the back pain could be caused by it. I saw some article and I want to say a youtube video linked through your article on the EMI site that a light popping or clicking in the anterior hip could be a symptom as well.

Then again, nothing showed out of place on my x-rays. Done from side, front and back.

Could be that the joint wasn't slipped at that point though.

I tend to have a lot more tightness on the anterior side of my right hip, than my left. But I have more glute tightness and external rotation issues with my left hip opposed to my right.

I guess I'll dig, do what the PT says, and stretch til I can't stretch anymore.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

PS.
If anyone is interested, or experiencing any issues similar to mine (still fully functioning, low level symptoms etc.) I am willing to post whatever progress and information I get.

Of course, you'd have to accept that it's not medical advice, I'm not a trained medical professional etc. Informational only.

If not, I'll keep it to myself.

(I hate the whole CYA requirement)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Dig in with hands and use the balls a lot. They tend to work better than stretching in most cases
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

Yeah, what I'll usually do is "Find the business" like KStarr says and hang out until whatever it is relaxes. Then I'll stretch it out for however long it takes.

If I'm just stretching, I have been holding for anywhere from 90 seconds upwards of even 5 minutes or longer in some cases.

I know that Mike Robertson had noted he had some issues that were taking low level stretches of 20 minutes multiple times per day.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Yael Grauer

I'd be interested. I've had anterior tilt forever but some work from a PRI guy helped a lot, plus what I call psoas torture and some mobility exercises. Then, I did a Gokhale seminar which helped a bit more but I am still a bit anterior (though it has lessened quite a bit.) I heard rolfing can help.