Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #111
Derek Weaver

Is it still plagiarism if you didn't understand what you read? Maybe that's the deal.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #112
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #113
Wayne Riddle

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/12/...oe-outside.tpl

Quote:
The assembled CrossFitters agree that while some football players and other power athletes might be capable of moving more weight, moving their own mass at body-weight movements will exhaust them at high volume. According to Tommy Hackenbruck, that type of athlete just has “too big of an engine.”

Even if someone has the talent, there’s the issue of training and mental fortitude.

“None of these guys are going to come in and do well without any CrossFit training. That will never happen,” Castro says. “They don’t have that mindset to push like CrossFitters do.”
Wayne Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #114
Matt Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
So I just watched that video where they(CrossFit) say Bryan Clay isn't mentally tough enough to do a CrossFit competition.
Actually, the comment was geared toward decathletes as a whole, not just Bryan Clay. I love how they throw out such a ridiculous blanket statement without having the slightest bit of evidence to back it up. I guess it fits pretty well with the rest of Crossfit's monstrous claims and lack of supporting facts.
Matt Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #115
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
The assembled CrossFitters agree that while some football players and other power athletes might be capable of moving more weight, moving their own mass at body-weight movements will exhaust them at high volume. According to Tommy Hackenbruck, that type of athlete just has “too big of an engine.”

Even if someone has the talent, there’s the issue of training and mental fortitude.

“None of these guys are going to come in and do well without any CrossFit training. That will never happen,” Castro says. “They don’t have that mindset to push like CrossFitters do.”
"Just when I thought they couldn't possibly be any dumber, they go and do something like this... and totally redeem themselves!"
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #116
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #117
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Is this guy a troll? or is he serious?
Andrew, my friend, I know where you are in all this because I was there myself. The short answer is YES. They believe it. They believe every bit of it. What you'd swear is trolling is actually a carefully crafted post by a kool-aid drinker.

It's worse than you think. Much much worse.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #118
Justin Arnold

Wow. just.. wow.
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #119
Ryne Clos

I had a friend recommend CrossFit to me in the summer of 2008, just before the Olympics. The first time I checked out the site, I went to the forum after being excited by a lot of the other stuff and saw all of these discussions about how CrossFit people were better athletes than the Olympians. It was stuff like, "Sure, Michael Phelps would out-swim me, but can he squat 400 pounds and run the mile in 5 minutes?" I imagine that he can. That was when I decided that maybe CrossFit wasn't for me.
Ryne Clos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #120
Derek Weaver

I like that quote in Andre's post about Glassman being able to out work almost any athlete requiring large loads and all.

Never mind that he's got a limp that keeps him from working out, but the guy with no arms or legs hits the WOD like a maniac.

I will admit that I used to drink the Kool-Aid until maybe 20 months ago I was still recovering from the CF hang over.

I still remember sitting there one day and thinking to myself "This isn't original. At all. And why do I keep getting hurt, burning out, and where did all the strength I had built doing SS go?"

I really like how they ripped off the 10 components of fitness from a couple of track coaches. The guys from Dynamax or something right? Yet, T &F athletes would get punked at working out with CF'ers in what are known as "Games". Also known as sadistic self torture in the form of idiotic workouts.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote