Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 11-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #61
Derek Weaver

It's more like Joel comes in with a solid post, everyone craps on it because it's Sherdog.

that place is stupid on a nearly epic level. It's basically what the CF forums would be if you were allowed to be a dick.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #62
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
It's more like Joel comes in with a solid post, everyone craps on it because it's Sherdog.

that place is stupid on a nearly epic level. It's basically what the CF forums would be if you were allowed to be a dick.
I think you are allowed to be a dick at CF, in fact it's heartily encouraged. It just has to be in the confines of the AUP.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #63
Grissim Connery

i got my copy today as an early christmas present. can't wait to dig in.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #64
Grissim Connery

took me a few weeks to get to it. i was too busy reading fantasy novels and playing video games.

i have the same problem as other people: i'm not sure which block would be best to start with. on the other hand, i think i might wanna compete in arnolds this year, so i could just do the fight prep block cause it's about 8 weeks from now.

is the bioforce test used to find your deficits? i feel pretty average in all categories. thus i'm leaning towards an aerobic block because it seems the most fundamental to increase first. on the other hand, i don't know how good my explosiveness is. it's always seemed ok, but then again i've had to use it that much.

i was curious if people tried doing 2 of his methods in a workout as long as they worked the same energy system, like tempo method and cardiac power intervals.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #65
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I have been his methods to prepare for a judo tourney. I am two weeks out. I missed a week a couple weeks ago due to injury. I'm liking it so far. I'm back to strength and tempo work, which, together, is a bitch.

E.g.

Press
135x2, 155x2, 175x2, 185x2, 190x2
195x1, 200x1, 205x1, 195x1, 195x1

95x10x3 @ tempo 2020, rest 40 s.

---

Squat
225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 385x3

185x10x3 @ tempo 2020, rest 40 s.

This are incredibly grueling but incredibly useful.

Early on I did a lot of explosive repeats and aerobic plyos. For recovery, I just do sandbag walks (walk 30-40 min. with a 70# sandbag).

At this point, I'm doing a bit of strength work and a lot of threshold training (1 min. rows, 500m rows, with 5 min. rests).

After two weeks, my randori (sparring) dramatically improved because I was able to maintain posture. And, of course, the best conditioning for judo is continuous hard randori. Other than the injury from a 2-hour wrestling session, I've been really pleased.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #66
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I have been his methods to prepare for a judo tourney. I am two weeks out. I missed a week a couple weeks ago due to injury. I'm liking it so far. I'm back to strength and tempo work, which, together, is a bitch.

E.g.

Press

---

Squat

Early on I did a lot of explosive repeats and aerobic plyos. For recovery, I just do sandbag walks (walk 30-40 min. with a 70# sandbag).

At this point, I'm doing a bit of strength work and a lot of threshold training (1 min. rows, 500m rows, with 5 min. rests).

After two weeks, my randori (sparring) dramatically improved because I was able to maintain posture. And, of course, the best conditioning for judo is continuous hard randori. Other than the injury from a 2-hour wrestling session, I've been really pleased.
Looks like being able to maintain posture could be more to do with the sandbag carry than anything else, but maintaining posture for the tempo lifts could also have something to do with it..... Either way you've improved on the mat so who cares.

I agree, hard continuous randori is the best conditioning (in my case for BJJ).
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #67
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post

E.g.

Press

---

Squat

i tried tempo yesterday with squats, ring pushups, and ring rows. the squats sucked. every impulse in me wants to rocket out of the hole as hard as possible. i think i might do it with lunges next time because i'd like to squat heavy for my secondary goal/maintenance workout (i can't BB squat more than once every 7-9 days).

i definately noticed a deficit in my tempo rows. i've known that there's been a problem with it for a while, but my pulling strength seemed to work fine for most tasks, probably because my hips could take over. i think i have very little aerobic capacity of my upper back muscles.

i'm gonna stick with more of the general endurance block because of this deficit primarily. i think my shoulder issues may stem from a lack of endurance as opposed to a lack of strength in my upper back.

for my secondary goal, i might actually pick explosive rather than ME (i'm getting a bit bored with doing ME for so long), but i still want to do ME squats, so i might try his complex method and do box jumps after squats.

basically:
day 1:
cardiac ouput/threshold/hict (depending on block a or b)

day 2:
tempo + some cardiac output (not as long)

day 3:
explosive + complex method for squats

i might start this after arnolds and do the general fight prep for the tourney first.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #68
Peter Dell'Orto

I've had some really great aerobic recovery improvements from doing HRIs with a sled or a Prowler, and with HICT (done with high step-ups). Even though I already had a very good aerobic conditioning level, I found after my coach added those to my training my between-round and between-match recovery improved dramatically.

We haven't done quite as much with the power-generation end of the spectrum yet but we've done static-dynamics, circuit training, and (of course) max effort strength work.

All in all it's be extremely useful stuff. Sometimes it's hard to get a picture in your head of exactly what he wants in a given exercise or how it would look when you do it, but everything I've tried so far has given results as advertised.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #69
Grissim Connery

do you use weight with the high step ups? i'm gonna try these next week for hict. i tried doing renegade row for hict, except that i was more piked instead of planked so that i could go for a long time.

i was curious about wrapping an elastic band around a concept 2 rower and trying hict with that in addition to the handle. that way it might keep a more constant tension

I think i need a heart rate monitor before i work on his interval stuff more. i tried it one day, and i felt like i wasn't doing anything. i think i recover pretty quickly between rounds, so the actual heart rate monitor would be better than the general time recommendations.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #70
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
do you use weight with the high step ups?
Just before the last NAGA I did 2 sets of 20 minutes with no extra weight. It was as much recovery work as anything else.

More recently I've been doing 1-2 sets of 10-15 minutes with a 10# vest on. Since I'm also walking around 10 pounds heavier than my weigh-in weight this is a big weight jump. We mostly did this so I could get to my target heart rate much sooner, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i'm gonna try these next week for hict. i tried doing renegade row for hict, except that i was more piked instead of planked so that i could go for a long time.
The thing about step-ups to a high box is that they are utterly technically simple. Even when I'm 19 minutes into a second 20-minute set of them I'm still doing a proper step-up. I'm not sure I'm doing a proper pushup 19 reps into a 20 rep set.
So I'd suggest picking something that is so technically simple that you can do a good rep even when exhausted.

You do need a heart rate monitor. I did them once by feel (forgot the monitor) and it just wasn't as good. Too hard to gauge. Even if you spend only $30 or so on one that does nothing more than show your current rate it's worth it. So much so I'm starting to consider saving up for a better model that will show my overall performance so I can better track it. My coach started to experiment with this stuff on me and nagged me to get one. I resisted for a while but when I finally did it the methods suddenly became more clear and their benefits were instantly noticeable.