Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #71
Donald Lee

I used to have one of those mini bars with about 50-70# on my back when I did step-ups for HICT onto a bench.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #72
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dell'Orto View Post
The thing about step-ups to a high box is that they are utterly technically simple. Even when I'm 19 minutes into a second 20-minute set of them I'm still doing a proper step-up. I'm not sure I'm doing a proper pushup 19 reps into a 20 rep set.
So I'd suggest picking something that is so technically simple that you can do a good rep even when exhausted.

You do need a heart rate monitor. I did them once by feel (forgot the monitor) and it just wasn't as good. Too hard to gauge. Even if you spend only $30 or so on one that does nothing more than show your current rate it's worth it. So much so I'm starting to consider saving up for a better model that will show my overall performance so I can better track it. My coach started to experiment with this stuff on me and nagged me to get one. I resisted for a while but when I finally did it the methods suddenly became more clear and their benefits were instantly noticeable.
i didn't do a pushup in the renegade row. i just did alternating arm rows while one rested on the KB on the ground. i piked to take some weight off the support hand so that i could go for a long time.

by definition, does a renegade row normally include the pushup?

i was able tune out a bit and still pull with decent form. i prob did around 30-40 minutes total with a few breaks here and there. i didnt' really time myself, i was just listening to some doug stanhope bits on youtube before i had to go to BJJ.

so what is the real benefit of the expensive heart rate monitors over the cheaper ones? are the cheap ones accurate enough?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #73
Peter Dell'Orto

I dunno, I thought a renegade row always included a pushup. I also thought a burpee also included a pushup, which made the first pullups/burpees/ring pushups tri-set I did suck at a level that's hard to describe.
But if you're just rowing, I could see it for HICT. Although I personally doubt my ability to stay in that position without any bowing, arching, or twisting, which is why step-ups make so much sense for me. Even exhausted I can do one correctly (drive the foot down, hips forward, stand tall, etc.).

I got an Omron heart rate monitor. It seems accurate enough; it gives me consistent results and comes within a few beats of my own count. The more expensive ones like the Polar RS100 that Joel recommends have more features, but I haven't tried one yet. Deep down I'm a bit miserly so if the one I already have works, why not wait a bit before I buy a new one?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #74
James Evans

Over here a burpee is what you call a squat thrust and a squat thrust is a mountain climber. I do burpees US style but I notice Ross Enamait didn't always add the push up.

Sometimes people call a US style burpee a 'Bastard'. If only:

Squat down & kick the legs out
Push Up
Bring legs back in
Star Jump from the squat
Land and squat back down and up
1 rep.

I think Renegade Rows were originally just the rowing portion back when John Davies pulled the world of xtreme S&C out of his arse while standing on a space hopper. Guys like Mike Rutherford denote DB Push Up-Rows. You kind of know what you're doing then.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #75
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Over here a burpee is what you call a squat thrust and a squat thrust is a mountain climber. I do burpees US style but I notice Ross Enamait didn't always add the push up.

Sometimes people call a US style burpee a 'Bastard'. If only:

Squat down & kick the legs out
Push Up
Bring legs back in
Star Jump from the squat
Land and squat back down and up
1 rep.

I think Renegade Rows were originally just the rowing portion back when John Davies pulled the world of xtreme S&C out of his arse while standing on a space hopper. Guys like Mike Rutherford denote DB Push Up-Rows. You kind of know what you're doing then.
Burpees have always been burpees up here in Newcastle. In the Royal Marines they were called "bastard", because your PT gave you them and at the top of the rep you had to shout out "bastard" as loud as possible, not shouting loud enough resulted in motivational consequences. What could be more of a motivational consequece then doing them in full kit? Plenty!!

Squat thrusts up here are hands on deck, kick your feet back to a plank position and back, basically a burpee, but without the push-up element.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #76
Mark Fenner

Default Joel Jamison Notes from Sherdog Thread

I had a few minutes over the holidays and decided to (re-)read the sherdog thread of great fame. I also cut and pasted the better parts. Enjoy.

Note, the attached file is a pdf. Just rename from "notes.wmv" to "notes.pdf". I pulled that trick to get around the file size limit and b/c compression was insufficient to get below the limit.

Best,
Mark
Attached Files
File Type: wmv notes.wmv (72.8 KB, 25 views)
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #77
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
so what is the real benefit of the expensive heart rate monitors over the cheaper ones? are the cheap ones accurate enough?
Expensive HRMs have more features. You can do splits, time spent in each zone, download options, etc. I have two cheap watches and one on my bike that measure time and HR, and, at the end, the average HR. That's all I need. If all you need is to monitor the zone you're in at that moment, you don't need to spend a lot of money.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #78
Donald Lee

Also, with the cheaper heart rate monitors (~$45), you only have 1-2 buttons. It's very easy to accidentally delete the HR info before recording it b/c nothing gets saved. The ones closer to $100 will at least save your last data. They also usually come with nicer heart rate straps. My cheaper one came with a strap that was mostly made of some plastic material, while the more expensive one came with a softer material. I thought the ~$85 one (the one Joel recommends) that I paid for the nicer one was a worthy upgrade. I don't think that exact model is made anymore though.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #79
Grissim Connery

i think the one joel recommends is like $110.

my birthday is coming up and i think my gf is just gonna get me a cheap omron like peter suggested. in the future i'll throw down if need be.

i tend to break little gadgets like this, so the cheap one wouldn't bother me so much if it busted
Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #80
Grissim Connery

i tried HICT w/ box step ups set almost to groin level. i tried using a regular bar for as much as possible, but my traps would die after a while. i had to keep cycling the bar on and off until eventually somebody suggested using a 30# chain. that was much nicer.

i did 2 rounds of 20 min. my knees don't really have problems, but they felt worn out later that night. i might limit that to 1 set and maybe less minutes next time.

i considered doing HICT w/ alternating 1 arm DL (DB, BB, KB; whatever feels best). anybody have an opinion on this? i figure alternating would allow the upper body to not burn out before the lower body, and as long as grip maintains, a decent weight could be used. i'd like the grip work.

i should be getting som fat gripz soon. that could be nice for this