Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #11
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Vassallo View Post
I'm going from 15% to 10%. 195ish to 185.

As for my training, I do not want to give that up. My body and I don't like the two day schedule. I feel useless that way. I like the activity.

My numbers and everything are progressing extremely well. The weight isn't falling off like I thought it would.

My clothes fit really good.

I am by no means big, just want that last ten pounds gone to help me in WODs etc...
All you need to do in order to lose 10 lbs at a rate of 1 lb per week is create a calorie deficit of 500 kcal per day. This can be achieved by eating 250 kcal/d less and expending 250 kcals/d more through physical activity. In other words eat less, exercise more.

The eating less part can be as simple as eating 28g less fat per day (28 x 9 =252 kcals) which will have absolutely no effect on your performance or you could play around with the math little and eat 20g less fat (20 x 9 =180 kcals) and 17g less carbs or protein (17 x 4 = 68 kcals) (180 + 68 = 248 kcals total) or whatever. Just remember that cutting fat won't affect your performance but cutting carbs and protein will.

The exercise more part can be as simple as doing an extra 20-30 minutes per day on your least hated choice of your gyms cardio machines or you could go for a run, bike ride or whatever plus walking more, taking the stairs whenever possible and just generally spending less time sat on your ass.

Stick to the plan and ten weeks from now you'll be down to your target weight.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
Charlie Vassallo

What should my min. number of calories be a day?

This was my day yesterday:

Calories - 2,062

Fat - 94.8

Carbs - 145.9

Protein - 171.0

100% Paleo/Primal except for postworkout (whey protein/gatorade)

Good? Bad?
Charlie Vassallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Just remember that cutting fat won't affect your performance but cutting carbs and protein will.
Darryl, this is a total half-truth. You've completely ignored the impact cutting total calories has on recovery. (You've also ignored the impact that low carb has on fat mobilization, and that high carb has on leptin, but that's in the weeds for this issue).
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Kelly White

I would go two weeks without "a ton of fruit" before you make any big changes.

That may be all you need.
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Charlie Vassallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly White View Post
I would go two weeks without "a ton of fruit" before you make any big changes.

That may be all you need.
I realize and am taking steps to do this. Will limit my fruit intake and use in moderation.

Say, in the morning, before my workouts.

Take for today for example.

60-70 minute run
5/3/1
DE Deadlift
Assistance Work
Annie CF WOD (instead of prowler/sled)

So I have to keep my intake of food to solid amounts, as mentioned for recovery and what not.

After this workout, I had to eat PWO, 1 hour later a meal, then 2 hours later last meal. I just felt out of it, until after my last meal.

I do want to lose that last ten though.

My clothes are fitting better and the scale isn't dropping so much, so perhaps my body composition is changing which is a lot better no?
Charlie Vassallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Derek Weaver

Fruit's got nothing to do with it, and you should eat it. It's good for you. Only reduce it if your calories are too high. Otherwise, the vitamins and minerals will do you good.

If you are currently at 195 lbs, your maintenance cals as a very general rule should be in the neighbor hood of 2900-3000 (195 x 15 = 2925 kcal/day). Looking at your activity level, you are likely requiring a bit more food than that just to maintain your bodyweight.

Looking at your day for yesterday, 1/24:

Quote:

Calories - 2,062

Fat - 94.8

Carbs - 145.9

Protein - 171.0

Good? Bad?
Drastic undereating = Bad.

My recommendations because I would rather see you succeed over a period of 6-10 weeks instead of kick around in threads and still not see your abs (if that's what you want) over 16 weeks would be something like this:

Kick the primal thing. It's fine and all, but it is hard to get enough of anything when you've got an activity level like that. Increasing your starchy carbohydrate consumption, especially around workouts when it is easier for most psychologically, will do you well when it comes to performance. Do this through yams, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes (uh oh), rice (black rice supposedly has more antioxidants than blueberries at a better cost), squashes etc.) These are all more or less "Paleo". Don't get too hung up on it though. Eat to live, not the other way around.

Raise your calories to maintenance for 10-14 days to give your body a chance to recover, hormones to balance out a bit etc. Take a deload over this time period as well. Periodization is effective, no matter what Greg Glassman says. Take a deload. Take a deload. Take a deload.

After that time period, get your calories right between 2500-2700 and avoid a SLAP tear. Adjust as you near your goal or something stops working. Weight loss is often not linear as the body adjusts to acute changes (less fidgeting, more fidgeting, less body heat, more body heat etc. depending on calories/carbohydrate surplus/deficit). Something that will likely do your body good, as well as your sanity would be to time a diet break with your training deloads. Since you should be deloading every 4th week running 5/3/1, make sure you deload your CF stuff, and take a break to eat normally and have a little (just a little) fun off your diet. That means dieting well and disciplines for 3 weeks, chilling out a touch for 1, rinse and repeat. You may reach your goal sooner than you think. Or longer.

Again, 2500-2700. Nothing less than this, and better to be around 2700.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #17
Darryl Shaw

Quote:

Calories - 2,062

Fat - 94.8

Carbs - 145.9

Protein - 171.0

Good? Bad?
Either of these will give you a reasonably accurate estimate of how many calories you require per day -

DRI Nutrient Calculator.

Diet Genie Calorie Requirements Estimator.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers though because it's almost impossible to accurately estimate your own calorie intake and you could easily be out by as much as 50%. Just focus on making the small changes you need to cut 250 kcal/d. from your diet. This can be as simple as choosing leaner cuts of meat, cutting down on milk and dairy products or switching to low fat products, eating plain boiled or baked potatoes instead of rice/pasta, cutting down on snacks or just putting a little less food on your plate at every meal. It's up to you how you do it but you really don't need to overthink this stuff.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Just remember that cutting fat won't affect your performance but cutting carbs and protein will.
Darryl, this is a total half-truth. You've completely ignored the impact cutting total calories has on recovery. (You've also ignored the impact that low carb has on fat mobilization, and that high carb has on leptin, but that's in the weeds for this issue).
A calorie deficit of ~500kcal/d will clearly have an impact on both performance and recovery, that's unavoidable if you want to lose weight, but cutting carbs which are the principle fuel used during exercise will have a far greater impact on performance and recovery than cutting fat.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #19
Chris Butler

Quote:
Hey Guys,
My Workouts are usually like this:

Run to CF 3x per week, the other 1-2 times I walk there (25 minutes)
5/3/1
Westside Hybrid type program
Assistance Work
Prowler/Sled or CF WOD

60-70 minute run
5/3/1
DE Deadlift
Assistance Work
Annie CF WOD (instead of prowler/sled)
Cortisol anyone?
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
Kelly White

What I was thinking. Your body might be in survival mode, thinking you are fighting an alien species to prevent world domination.
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote