Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #91
Grissim Connery

reading each section alone, i think it's just the recommendation as if you were just going to do that section that week. for example, you should do explosive repeat no more than twice a week. that doesn't mean you need to do 1 or 2 a week. it's just saying the max sessions really. whether you do 0, 1, or 2 sessions that week depends on the volume of the other workouts you're picking.

so for week 2, if you did 3 conditioning days and wanted to do most of the 6 recommended methods, you might do hict + tempo on day 1, explosive repeat and high resistance intervals on day 2, and cardiac ouput on day 3.

on the other hand if you wanted to focus on the top three methods (what he recommends if you're well conditioned), you could do explosive repat + HRI on day 1, aerobic plyometrics + explosive repeat on day 2, and aerobic plyometrics + HRI on day 3.

i only picked 2 per workout because an hour of doing any of these methods intensely seems to be enough. i'd only go above an hour if you were doing cardiac output.

so basically just pick the few you think you're weak in or the ones you'd get the most benefit from, and try to do them with the most recommended frequency you can per week within 2-3 workout days and an 1-1.5h max per workout.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #92
Yael Grauer

Ooh, interesting. Well I suppose I should focus on cardiac output, tempo and HICT since I scored the lowest in aerobic threshold and muscular endurance way back when I took Joel's test.

But you are only supposed to do tempo 1X/week and HICT 2X/week, so I could do 1 day of tempo/HICT/cardio, one day of HICT/cardio and one day of cardio... and then I could add HRI, plyo or explosive repeat if I feel like it... But I think I'll need to do cardiac output every day for a while to get up to snuff. At least I figure it can't hurt. I guess I could do cardiac output until week 4 when I switch to cardiac power, as rx'ed.

I guess what I'm wondering though is if it's be overkill if I also did my weight workouts, which is db power cleans, db straight leg deads, db squats and plyo squats on day 1, assisted pullups, pushups, db bent row and ab exercises on day 2 and then presses, pushups, tricep db kickbacks and abs on day 3. Was going to do those for the first 4 weeks and then stop for 4 weeks. Or are you supposed to stop everything and just do the program?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #93
Manuel Jericho

How would guys structure a basic routine for muscular endurance 1-2x week?looking to compliment doing lsd 2x week 90mins along with my mma training
Manuel Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #94
Grissim Connery

i got a heart rate monitor for my birthday last week. i'm havin fun adjusting it to different methods. the highest my heart rate got was during hict in which it got to 177 at one point. i'm 24, so using the basic calculation my max heart rate should be 196. i'd like to find out what it actually is without getting one of those expensive tests. i'll have to search and find the best method
Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #95
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Ooh, interesting. Well I suppose I should focus on cardiac output, tempo and HICT since I scored the lowest in aerobic threshold and muscular endurance way back when I took Joel's test.

But you are only supposed to do tempo 1X/week and HICT 2X/week, so I could do 1 day of tempo/HICT/cardio, one day of HICT/cardio and one day of cardio... and then I could add HRI, plyo or explosive repeat if I feel like it... But I think I'll need to do cardiac output every day for a while to get up to snuff. At least I figure it can't hurt. I guess I could do cardiac output until week 4 when I switch to cardiac power, as rx'ed.

I guess what I'm wondering though is if it's be overkill if I also did my weight workouts, which is db power cleans, db straight leg deads, db squats and plyo squats on day 1, assisted pullups, pushups, db bent row and ab exercises on day 2 and then presses, pushups, tricep db kickbacks and abs on day 3. Was going to do those for the first 4 weeks and then stop for 4 weeks. Or are you supposed to stop everything and just do the program?
if you're doing 3+ bjj/mma days per week, i think the rx of just 1 main S&C goal w/ one possible secondary goal is enough. to be honest, if you're putting a good effort into each bjj/mma session, then you should be struggling to have greater than 3 workouts in addition to all this. that is unless you're only doing cardiac output; i know i could do cardiac output around 5-6x a week in addition to bjj if that's all i did. i would definitely get weaker and i wouldn't get any benefits (based on what i need right now), but i could do it.

basically, if you think you need endurance, just follow his rx of keeping that the main goal with only 1 day devoted to strength. i would probably keep the strength to just blunt ME of the big 3. if you're doing multiple cardiac output sessions during the week, i probably would not do any cardio after the strength workout.

you can return to your strength work after the block is over. i was skeptical when i started this, but after retesting my strength near the end of this experimentation period, i've actually had improvements. i think it's just because i took a break and gave a rest to all the prior work. thus, you may just benefit from switching gears altogether so that you rest what needs rest and build what needs to be built.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #96
Yael Grauer

To be honest, we do a lot of drilling in BJJ. And even on open mat days, it's usually some kind of game like a guard pass game with resistance, and we don't get to go for very long. Not a lot of live roll time and when we do it's not for very long. I feel like I can work out twice a day (weights in the morning, BJJ at night) and do cardio on all my non-BJJ days, and since all of my weight work is with dumbbells it's not like I'm lifting huge amounts. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to approach all this.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #97
Grissim Connery

i guess i would just try to adjust your str exercises to complement you cycle. IOW if you're working endurance, adjust them all to be tempo, hict, etc. so that you'll build some of the same mechanics, but just maybe increase different metabolic pathways.

i normally just like to heavy DL, but i forced myself to do them as tempo the other day (had to do them SLDL to work better with that method). it's not as fun, but it's not like i'll be doing them that way forever.

that sucks that you don't get to roll more in bjj. i need at least 3 live rolls a night (typically 7+ minutes, i need 4 if it's below 7min)
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #98
Donald Lee

Yael,

Have you tried asking questions on Joel's forum? I'd try to help, but I haven't been doing Joel's stuff or looked at his book for a while.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #99
Yael Grauer

Yeah, I wish we got to roll more but being the smallest in a gym full of wrestlers I'd probably be a lot more beat up if we did.

Well, I think the problem is that I have too many goals at the same time. Was just talking to a friend/coach I really respect and he said that you can work strength, endurance or sports-specific technique, but not all three at the same time. He told me to pick two. Obviously, technique has to be one of the two. I'm torn between the others. Just found out I'm competing in a month AND in two months, so I thought I'd do a month-long strength cycle (lots of posterior chain work and some of my other weak spots) and put all the supplements I've got to good use (creatine, glutamine, protein powder) and do tournament #1, and then stop doing the strength cycle and really ramp up the conditioning for tournament #2--because by then it'll be spring and I can go outside and run, bike, etc. without freezing. I don't have a gym membership right now so that'd be my best bet I think. I do have a heavybag but I feel like I really need a treadmill, indoor track or Airdyne if I'm going to ramp up my cardio. So I guess I'll just wait. Plus by then I'll have a bit more muscle which will make cutting easier. I guess I'll put 8WO on the backburner for now so I won't be trying to do too many goals at once.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #100
Grissim Connery

i am considering starting a new thread regarding heart rate training, but i'll keep it here for now.

so i am having fun playing with my heart rate monitor doing different tasks, but it's caused me some confusion. yesterday, i did an LSD day and didn't want to go too hard b/c i was pretty sore and worn out from the past week. i noticed that when doing a rowing machine or jump rope, my heart rate was generally bouncing around 125-150. to keep it at 150, i would have to put in effort, nothing crazy, but i just had to consciously remind myself to push the pace a bit above comfort. if i didn't remind myself to go a bit faster, then i would hang around 130-135.

i also ran yesterday, and my heart rate easily ranged from 155-173. what confuses me is that it didn't take any considerable "perceived effort" to keep my heart rate at around 163. the only other time i maintained this kind of heart rate for extended periods was with hict box step ups (these were performed a week or so ago).

the only real difference between exercises that i can notice is the amount of upper body contribution. i feel that both jump rope and rowing are limited by your upper body's ability to generate power. it makes sense to me that exercises where the lower body is doing a lot of work jacks up your heart rate more. what confuses me is why the perceived effort was so different. my assumption would be that when you're HR is higher, fatigue would onset faster regardless of exercise. yet i felt that i could have maintained a heart rate of 170 running for a relatively extended period, while hitting that 170 jumping rope would have required A LOT of double unders which i could only maintain for a short period, followed by some sort of rest.

i figured the rowing machine may be tricky to analyze since you're sitting, but the jump rope threw me off.

if it is true that you can keep your HR higher for longer periods with running or other predominately lower body exercises, then how would this affect programming? is the only real purpose of including upper body motions in conditioning just to build local muscle mitochondria changes, or is there some special or equal benefit to cardiac output that cannot be generated from a lower body limiting exercise alone?