Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Default Hybrid: trois variations

I was consolidating paper and decided to post before I threw stuff out. Here are three programs that I have used or written (and received subsequent positive feedback).

1. My judo program

This is what I'll be using this year for general conditioning. My lead up program will change a bit, but this will be my base.

A:
Squats (ME)
Squats (tempo)
Prowler work

B:
Power snatch
Barbell complex, 5x8 ascending
Working up to a max set of 8 on your fifth set of a 48-rep complex will force you to become a man, even if you're a woman. Or a CFing male. It is appropriate for any worthwhile pursuit I can think of.

C:
Press (ME)
Dips (tempo) + pullups
Conditioning w/implements

D:
Power clean
DL
Row

5 week cycle: 4 weeks on, 1 deload
3 workouts/week
Week 1: A1 B1 C1
Week 2: D1 A2 B2, etc.
1, 2, 3 tracks 531 for strength and something like the EZ program for WL. Conditioning depends on where I am in my tourney cycle.

2. Strong back hybrid

M:
Squat
Rack pull
Jerk support

W:
Power snatch
Push press
Complex, 5x3 ascending

F:
Power clean
Press
DL

I got obsessed with a sturdy back and trunk the second half of last year. It was fun. If you think seeing your traps through a parka is worth smashing yourself into the ground, this program is for you. 3 weeks on/1 deload. And deload here equals damn near no activity.

PS Drink beer and eat 2+ pounds of meat daily.

PPS You need to be really really good at recovering.

3. The EZ program

I wrote this for a formerly strong buddy who had run his muscle off. He wanted strength progressions, OL practice, and general conditioning that would still allow him to work in extra sessions of trail running or kettle-nut swinging. 3 weeks on/1 deload. I like this one a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZ hybrid.jpg (91.6 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 01-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Justin Arnold

Thanks for posting this. The EZ hybrid looks like it could be really useful for me.
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Jim Glover

The EZ plan has been great for me over the past 2 months. I superset squat and bench on day 1. And only hit the conditioning every other Tuesday due to time constraints.
Jim Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Leon Robotham

Thanks, Gant.

As well as the ascending weight complex I'm pretty sure the ME+Tempo+Prowler will be a bitch!
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Jon Pechette

Nice, I'll have to try out the first two sometime. The EZ program is very similar to what I'm doing now, but with slightly less volume.
Jon Pechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Gant,
If you check in at any point, I just had a quick question on the EZ program.

for your buddy, did he have any recovery issues getting 3 days in of lifting/week? You said he was still fitting in some KBs and trail running, but was there ever a time that he may have had to extend his lifting schedule over maybe an 8-10 day period?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Gant,
If you check in at any point, I just had a quick question on the EZ program.

for your buddy, did he have any recovery issues getting 3 days in of lifting/week? You said he was still fitting in some KBs and trail running, but was there ever a time that he may have had to extend his lifting schedule over maybe an 8-10 day period?
With enough quality food i doubt he'd have issues with recovery because there is a day of rest between the sessions and two days rest on the weekend.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
With enough quality food i doubt he'd have issues with recovery because there is a day of rest between the sessions and two days rest on the weekend.
Ideally this would be the case. But depending on how much trail running, age, and stress levels outside of training it changes the equation.

Every once in a while things have to get changed because of this. Even people who are just lifting may have to go to 2 days/week at 2 workouts per day when they are working out to allow more time for recovery.

That's why I was asking. To see if anything like this had come up before.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Dave Coughlin

Nice work Gant, the hybrid evolves again!

I was thinking about going with the Texas Method, but those 5x5s were pretty intense. Recovery might be an issue for me, if my shift night I don't sleep too well (which is almost always a given). This template gives me some wiggle room throughout the week, which I usually utilize. My questions to you are as follows:

-How many days a week are you doing other active stuff? Meaning BJJ, Highland Games prep, or anything else....I like to compete in a variety of stuff, like you; so I'm interested in seeing how you integrate the non-barbell days.

-What would be a good progression with developing my olympic snatch and clean? You list the power versions of both, which IIRC you said you prefer in your original Hybrid thread. Should I start with the Hang Power versions one week, power the next, and then into the olympic versions? I ask because I may try my hand at a masters olympic competiton in the late spring/early summer.
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Ideally this would be the case. But depending on how much trail running, age, and stress levels outside of training it changes the equation.

Every once in a while things have to get changed because of this. Even people who are just lifting may have to go to 2 days/week at 2 workouts per day when they are working out to allow more time for recovery.

That's why I was asking. To see if anything like this had come up before.
Aha sorry i just thought that because he was formerly strong and would be embarking on this program to get him strong again, while still being able to do the odd trail run or KB training that he likes to do that the volume wouldnt be too high on these extra curricula activities because of the main goal.