Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Nicholas Wyss

Default Purchasing Rings

Hey everybody,

Usually I work out at a gymnastics facility, but over the holidays I am going to be traveling. I would like to still keep up some conditioning work on rings. Thus, I am considering buying a pair online.

I am wondering about anybody's personal experiences with different brands of rings. I have seen several different kinds for sale, but it's hard for me to determine which is the best. Thanks!
Nicholas Wyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Gary Ohm

If you're traveling and space is an issue you can look at Tyler Hass' freestyle trainer:
http://ringtraining.com/shop/freestyle-trainer.html

I've come to really prefer rings over straight handles like these though. If you're in the same boat, I like the new straps of Tyler's EXF here: http://ringtraining.com/shop/exf-rings.html

Otherwise Gymnastics bodies has good rings here:http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/store/equipment.html

The prices are all in the ballpark of each other whichever you choose. Some people don't like the three grips of the EXF but really like the strap design. I've yet to see my "dream rings", so I basically get over it and use whatever I've got. For fitness, they are all "about the same", and "about the same price", and certainly do the same thing.

Best of luck.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Troy Kerr

I have used both of the tyler has models in my training. The exf and the standard sets that do not allow in ring rotation. My personal preference are rings that allow rotation. But that is just me.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Nicholas Wyss

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am not sure how that rubber grip would feel. I have worked with rings before that can freely slide inside the straps, it doesn't bother me, they never really seem to move anyway.

Edit: I definitely prefer the rings to the freestyle trainer, since rings is all I have ever used.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Blair Lowe

I would go either with the Rogue rings or GymnasticBodies rings. I like the wood rings that are FIG spec but the GB rings are my faves of all the synthetic rings, mainly because of the texture.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Gary Ohm

I've read this ^^ same sentiment many times. I guess the ideal would be the GB rings with Tyler's straps. Those straps are really awesome. The S-hook mounting clips and measured increments cover all of my previous strap-related complaints. I agree, though, the triple textured handles leave something to be desired.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Blair Lowe

It would take some time but I guess you could MOD your GB straps with a ruler and a white sharpie.

Even when using the measured straps, I find they aren't perfectly exact. Yes, I am that way. I can tell if they feel just a bit off and it will bug me to no end.

All the textures, be it wood or synthetic seem to wear out. Wood absorbs the oil in your hands and eventually it changes the feel of the rings somewhat perhaps, I think.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Nicholas Wyss

Hey, just wanted to say I ended up getting the GB rings. They just arrived in the mail. Now, as soon as my shoulder gets better I can try them out! It really feels like its about 90% now so should be pretty soon. Thanks for the advice.