Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Jarod Barker

Default My AWESOME Experience with Best Buy

First of all, I think I went through withdrawal from not having a computer and not being able to go online for the past month-ish. But, I'm here to say that I'm over my addiction, and so now I plan to create a new, even worse internet addiction in its place

Anyways, what I'd like to share, even though it has nothing to do with fitness, is my experience with Best Buy. I have a MacBook Pro, and like an idiot, I bought it from Best Buy because I believed all the BS about their great customer service. I even got the Black Tie Service Plan. In any case, for the past 2 years (yeah, I said 2 years), the computer randomly turns on and off, randomly starts typing, randomly starts clicking items on the page, sometimes the mouse works but not the keyboard, sometimes the keyboard but not the mouse, sometimes the mouse works but won't click. I've taken the computer to Best Buy 6 times. Always for the same problem, and they always tell me, "it's the battery, here's a new one," and I get the same screwed up computer back.

Finally, I got fed up, took the computer to the Mac store and had them run the diagnostic. They said, "oh it's you're logic board" which explains all the issues I've been having. Mac store charges $350 to replace the board, but I figure it's still under warranty at Best Buy, so I'll take it there and tell them it's the logic board. So, I do just that. Geek Squad sees the computer malfunctioning, acknowledges that I had the diagnostic run, acknowledges that it is the logic board. They send the computer out, and it comes back with GUESS WHAT? A new battery. Now at that point, I lost my temper, argued, flipped out, etc and demanded a new logic board. But it should've have had to come to that. 2 years of taking it in for the same problem every time? What gives?

Now, supposedly after 3 services with your machine, Best Buy's policy is just to give you a new machine, but clearly that hasn't happened and isn't going to happen. But I just wanted to share with everyone how absolutely absurd and frustrating Best Buy has been.

Long story short, and if you're wondering why I wrote this, I just wanted to forewarn anyone who might be in the market for a new computer to look somewhere else besides Best Buy since apparently their service plans are just a selling point and they won't actually back them up.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Russell Crosswy

I've owned Macs for several years and always go through Apple and have had great experiences with their customer support. I bought a MacBook on eBay and it was still within the one year original warranty period and the battery was completely dead. Made an appointment with the Genius Bar and had the tech check it out, confirmed it was the battery, and then he handed me a new battery and the laptop was as good as new.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Best Buy. I have never had a good experience with their customer support. I only buy small low-cost items there and only if I have to. There are other places cheaper with better customer support.
Russell Crosswy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Blair Lowe

In the computer repair industry, amongst techs, Best Buy is considered a place where they do their best to rip you off, their techs are newbies for the most part and poorly paid and trained; with horrible tech support.

A lot of the time they will require before any computer diagnostic to run their PC check up as in write a check for it used to be $220.

Actually, the computer repair industry is one industry where there shops and services basically have no one to answer to. They make the car repair industry ho-hum in comparison in abuse except for in costs.

Labor typically is more per hour.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Yuen Sohn

I would also like to climb aboard the B.B. hate train to express my disdain for their store on 44th and 5th in NYC. The customer service here is absolutely deplorable and makes shopping for even the simplest of items (e.g., memory cards, chargers) a miserable experience.

This place just fucking sucks.

The end.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Jarod Barker

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who has felt ripped off and screwed by Best Buy. In the future, I will go through Apple. If you guys are on your computers as much as I am (both for work and personal use), then I'm sure you can appreciate how much it sucks to constantly be taking your computer in for repairs and never actually getting the problem fixed.

And Blair, you make an excellent point about the computer industry having no one to answer to. In a day and age where computers are pretty much essential, they've pretty much got you over a barrel.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Joe Hlasnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who has felt ripped off and screwed by Best Buy. In the future, I will go through Apple. If you guys are on your computers as much as I am (both for work and personal use), then I'm sure you can appreciate how much it sucks to constantly be taking your computer in for repairs and never actually getting the problem fixed.

And Blair, you make an excellent point about the computer industry having no one to answer to. In a day and age where computers are pretty much essential, they've pretty much got you over a barrel.
I don't know why you would buy a Mac Book from Best Buy when we have atleast 3-4 Apple stores in the area

Apple Care > Best Buy support

By a long shot.
Joe Hlasnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hlasnik View Post
I don't know why you would buy a Mac Book from Best Buy when we have atleast 3-4 Apple stores in the area

Apple Care > Best Buy support

By a long shot.
So true, so true.... but my brother was working at Best Buy at the time, and he talked me into it.