Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #871
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
Oh, you can add another tally to your rhabdo count http://www.iamunscared.com/the-hurt-locker/

Baker~ So my buddy who is an experienced tri distance guy. Track scholly to UGA almost sub 4 min miler, has run marathons at altitude, built like u goes in for his 1st CF wod ever on monday and does 100 burpees for time. Took him a little over 10 min. He is now in hospital w rhabdo and a torn f-ing rotator cuff? So weird. His cpk was 149000 yesterday today it is 110000. Did wod on monday. Went hosp yesterday. Urinating blood, coke classic, sunkist orange. Tore his rotator cuff too. Kid is all fucked up and I’m telling you he is one of the hardest dudes I know.

Read the comments; there is another rhabdo case.

I read your post as I’m sitting in the hospital on my 5th day of treatment for rhabdo from my first Crossfit workout. I had a nurse yesterday tell me that when I came in on Saturday that I was “teetering on the edge.” Your comments are dead-on (no pun intended). Before they cart me down for an abdominal ultrasound to determine why, after 5 days, my CPK levels still exceed 80,000 (the hospital couldn’t measure them initially they were so high, but were thought to be 125K+), I thought I’d respond to your post.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #872
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:

Baker~ So my buddy who is an experienced tri distance guy. Track scholly to UGA almost sub 4 min miler, has run marathons at altitude, built like u goes in for his 1st CF wod ever on monday and does 100 burpees for time. Took him a little over 10 min. He is now in hospital w rhabdo and a torn f-ing rotator cuff? So weird. His cpk was 149000 yesterday today it is 110000. Did wod on monday. Went hosp yesterday. Urinating blood, coke classic, sunkist orange. Tore his rotator cuff too. Kid is all fucked up and I’m telling you he is one of the hardest dudes I know.

WOW
That's a double whammy, Rhabdo & SLAP tear in one wod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Read the comments; there is another rhabdo case.

I read your post as I’m sitting in the hospital on my 5th day of treatment for rhabdo from my first Crossfit workout. I had a nurse yesterday tell me that when I came in on Saturday that I was “teetering on the edge.” Your comments are dead-on (no pun intended). Before they cart me down for an abdominal ultrasound to determine why, after 5 days, my CPK levels still exceed 80,000 (the hospital couldn’t measure them initially they were so high, but were thought to be 125K+), I thought I’d respond to your post.

The new facebook is 100
These two are 101 & 102 cases that I've read about.

Rhabdo Count: 102
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #873
raj rihal

what is interesting as well is the complete lack of understanding from the injured that CF is in large part to blame. Most people seem to think its some sort of lack of mental toughness or lack of preparation on their own part. The workouts are supposed to make you stronger, not break you. After my own injury I remember people telling me that "I hadn't rested enough." Essentially placing the blame on me. Its crazy, if CF results in a dramatic weight loss, everyone jumps up and down saying how awesome CF is. If someone gets hurt, they slowly look away and whisper under their breath about how "you should have 'scaled' and 'rested'.....CF is perfect, its your fault."

Its utterly insane, that you could spend 5 DAYS in the hospital, and be anxious to get back to CrossFit.

"Doc says to keep the intensity of the WOD high, but significantly reduce the volume. But I will probably have to take time off."

you think?
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #874
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac
remember adding squats to my routine years ago and getting so sore immediately after that it was like I had just done an Ironman. I don’t know if it was “Angie”, or some version of it, but I also remember my first time CrossFitting, because I was so sore I couldn’t move right for days. God damn, it was like I just ran Western all over again. Did I get Rhabdo? Probably not, but I will bet I’ve been pretty damn close on several occasions. With that said, I am not alone, and I know several of you have actually been hospitalised for it. It’s no F-ing joke, and needs to be taken seriously, which is why I’m writing this piece.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #875
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Fitness and GPP forum?
I would think either Fitness and GPP, or probably better in the endurance subforum.

Your case is interesting and deserves focused discussion.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #876
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
D
It's so interesting they keep telling people to scale, yet don't have any recommendations or guidelines on how to scale... Maybe that has to do with them making up random workouts
that they don't even know why
they're making them the way they are
other than they look cool.

What about the scaled workouts link on the "Start Here!" that directs people to the BrandX scaled workouts? http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ WFS

or more detail on the Start Here page?
For the person who endeavors to take on CrossFit without the guidance of a certified CrossFit trainer, we recommend three distinct approaches, depending on your fitness experience and available facilities:

1) If you are largely familiar with the stable of CrossFit exercises then start with the WOD (Workout of the Day). If you've had exposure to Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and gymnastics, jump right in. If an exercise is unfamiliar, acquaint yourself with the movement through the video clip for the movement on the exercises section of the site. This option is for those athletes with an extensive experience in athletic strength and conditioning - jump right in.

2) If some or many of the exercises are unfamiliar to you and you are only modestly acquainted with elite athletic training, we recommend that you follow the WOD and substitute other exercises for those where you don't have either the equipment or skill and then devise a plan for acquisition of the necessary skills or equipment needed to participate completely. We are developing a Substitution Chart in the FAQ for replacing exercises for which you've not developed the skills or don't have the equipment.

3) If many or most of the exercises are relatively or completely unknown to you, then we recommend that you begin learning the movements for a month or two until you can either perform our common exercises or have substitutions worked out for those movements under development. This is a great place to begin for anyone with little or no experience with serious weightlifting or gymnastics.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #877
Justin Z. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
What about the scaled workouts link on the "Start Here!" that directs people to the BrandX scaled workouts? http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ WFS

For the person who endeavors to take on CrossFit without the guidance of a certified CrossFit trainer, we recommend three distinct approaches, depending on your fitness experience and available facilities:

1) If you are largely familiar with the stable of CrossFit exercises then start with the WOD (Workout of the Day). If you've had exposure to Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and gymnastics, jump right in. If an exercise is unfamiliar, acquaint yourself with the movement through the video clip for the movement on the exercises section of the site. This option is for those athletes with an extensive experience in athletic strength and conditioning - jump right in.

2) If some or many of the exercises are unfamiliar to you and you are only modestly acquainted with elite athletic training, we recommend that you follow the WOD and substitute other exercises for those where you don't have either the equipment or skill and then devise a plan for acquisition of the necessary skills or equipment needed to participate completely. We are developing a Substitution Chart in the FAQ for replacing exercises for which you've not developed the skills or don't have the equipment.

3) If many or most of the exercises are relatively or completely unknown to you, then we recommend that you begin learning the movements for a month or two until you can either perform our common exercises or have substitutions worked out for those movements under development. This is a great place to begin for anyone with little or no experience with serious weightlifting or gymnastics.
That's great advice for Greg Glassman for when/if he starts working out.

http://games.crossfit.com/blog/2011/...hts-open,1042/
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...GG_Insight.wmv

Of course, the advice also is contradicted by:

1) men will die for points
2) our warmup is your workout
3) If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks
4) many others..

Justin
Justin Z. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #878
raj rihal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
That's great advice for Greg Glassman for when/if he starts working out.

http://games.crossfit.com/blog/2011/...hts-open,1042/
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...GG_Insight.wmv

Of course, the advice also is contradicted by:

1) men will die for points
2) our warmup is your workout
3) If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks
4) many others..

Justin
That is a good point Justin. How can you justify engendering the culture of uncle rhabdo, pukie, no holds barred, balls to the wall, we are elite, while in the same breath tell people to scale and slow down.

that OPT video where he is experiencing the 'throws of death' for some stupid fitness competition pretty much sums up the CF attitude that filters from the top down.
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM
John Thomas
This message has been deleted by John Thomas.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
John Thomas
This message has been deleted by John Thomas.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #879
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post

That's still just not meaningful. They should be adjusting all weights in all workouts relative to the individual's 1RM, and they're still just telling people to do random amounts of pullups. Pullups should be formatted, like say you have a 18 rep max deadhangs, Fran should be like 18-12-7. If they have 6 deadhangs, fran should be 6-4-2. It sounds un-elite, but every single workout, on .com or affiliate, should completely present the information progressive and applicable to individual. Something along the lines of whatever I just wrote, busy doing something right now, probably should get into this later.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #880
Bryan Kemper

Thank you. Noted. Will press on.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote