Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Derek Weaver

Joe,
Thanks for the info. I had found a couple other comments around the web saying something similar. I guess they hype it up and edit the footage well to make it look a lot tougher. 10 miles is still a trek, but it's a little different when it's spread over 2 hours instead of 1.

Are you going to the one at Squaw this year?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Joe Davidoski

It's def what you make of it. I think Khalipa brought most of CF Santa Clara and there were plenty of group t-shirts.

I'm actually considering heading down to LA to do the SOCAL one in May but I'll see if I can get the time.
Joe Davidoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
Garrett Smith

CFE, of course!!! You should shoot for the 750# DL before ever attempting to start training for this with Tabata B2B squats.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
CFE, of course!!! You should shoot for the 750# DL before ever attempting to start training for this with Tabata B2B squats.
Clearly this a course of action that I need to consider taking. I just can't seem to get to the point where I am actually proud of sub par, barely mediocre physical capability.

I want to get over these shin splints I've been dealing with, and then set to work to use myself as proof of how stupid CFE is.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Russell Crosswy

I attempted to start a thread here asking for some advice about training for Tough Mudder.

The more videos I see of participants from Tough Mudder the less I'm worrying about it too much. See the video here where there is a line for the obstacle.

I'm going to get a pair of Vibram Trek Sports to run in. I've been running in Vibrams for almost 2 years now, but I need to build some distance in them. A couple of miles are ok, I'm concerned hitting close to 12 miles in one day would leave me debilitated. I've been following a strength and conditioning program recently that focuses on the big lifts plus some assistance and then some prowler work. After that I hit some runs in my Vibrams to get some distance and mix in some sprinting in the middle of the run, basically a fartlek run.

There is a track nearby and I've thought about hitting that up for some 300m and 400m repeats to build up some endurance, but I'm not sure that will do more than what the prowler does for me.

Edit: Reason for the Vibrams is I've rolled my ankle several times on rough terrain in running shoes with a thick sole. The thin to no-sole of the Vibrams really helps me with ankle stability. Basically you reduce the length of the lever arm so when my ankle rolls with the rough terrain there is not as much force on the ankle joint as with a thick soled running shoe. Go from a severely rolled ankle to a slight roll that does not leave you injured and in agony. Also, the easy cleaning of the Vibrams makes them an ideal choice for after the race. I think several people just throw their shoes away after the race or are planning on doing that.

Last edited by Russell Crosswy : 02-17-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Add bit about Vibrams
Russell Crosswy is offline   Reply With Quote