Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 AM   #71
Allen Yeh

April 3, 2007
Core Performance Movement Prep
Burgener warmup - 45 x 1

Phase I
Superset 1 (10 seconds of rest between, 90 after):
Reach, Roll and Lift - 10 L/R, 10 L/R
DB External Rotation - 10 x 10, 10 x 10
L-Lateral Raise - 15 x 12, 15 x 12

Superset 2 (no rest between, 90 after):
YTWL - 5 x 12, 5 x 12
Face Pull - neutral grip - 90 x 15, 90 x 15

Push up plus on stability ball - 12, 15
wrist extension - 7.5 x 12, 10 x 12, 12.5 x 12
Lat/chest stretching - 30 seconds each

Subbed sprints:
10 x 25m - one minute rest between
Rest 10 minutes
10 x 25m - one minute rest between
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #72
Allen Yeh

April 5, 2007
Core Performance Prehab:
Swiss ball crunches - 15#x20
pillar bridge front - narrow stance - 10L/R
Pillar Bridge side - jumping jack - 10L/R
glute bridge - knee bent - 10 L/R
mini band walk - 10L/R

scap pushup - 15, 15
Burgener WU - 45 x 1
OHS - 45 x 5, 95 x 4, 135 x 3, 155 x 2, 175 x 1
Push Jerk +press outs- 135 x 1+5, 135 x 1+5

Barbell complex #1 - 95#- 90 seconds rest between sets, 6,5,4,3,2,1
Deadlift
Romanian DL
Barbell Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

Total rounds in 16:41- 2:37 for 6, 2:11 for 5, 1:54 for 4, 1:21 for 3, 48s for 2, and 29 s for 1

hip mobility - 4, 4, 4, 4
quadruped - 4, 4
muscle snatch - 45 x 5, 45 x 5
band dislocates - 5, 3, 3, 3

Stretch Lower body - 10 minutes

Notes:
OHS- 175 was heavy and hard to hold at the top, left wrist felt ok but still not 100% but better with the stretches.
Barbell Complex #1 - a la Alwyn Cosgrove, this was an ass kicker!!!! My forearms were crazy pumped by the 3rd round and it was hard to even squeeze my hands shut. There are 2 ways I've seen him recommend doing this complex, with ascending ladder style or 4-5 sets of 6 reps. I'm so glad I choose the ladder style! I'm going to stay with this rep scheme until I can get my time down. AC wrote that 1 round of 6 reps should only take about 96 seconds....so my time is only a minute MORE!!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #73
Troy Archie

Cool workout. Is that barbell complex with 95lbs?

Rad OHS. What's your set up like when pushing a number like that? Do you rack it in a power rack,set the grip and step it out? Clean and jerk it overhead? Have a pillar of power..? I find that can only go so heavy (which isn't very) before I psyche myself and stall out.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #74
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
Cool workout. Is that barbell complex with 95lbs?

Rad OHS. What's your set up like when pushing a number like that? Do you rack it in a power rack,set the grip and step it out? Clean and jerk it overhead? Have a pillar of power..? I find that can only go so heavy (which isn't very) before I psyche myself and stall out.
Yes it's with a 95# barbell which seems light but it starts to tax your grip after a bit after I finished that complex my forearms didn't want to do anything for the next 2 days, not so much soreness but they just felt very weak just doing day to day things.

For heavy OHS's (ok well heavy for me anyway) I will usually take it as a back squat, step out and set a snatch grip then do a snatch grip push press from the back. When I'm done I'll just catch it on my back with some knee bend to cushion it.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #75
Derek Simonds

Oh thats great I missed the whole it should only take 96 seconds for the complex requirement. That is pretty freaking crazy.

I Guess I will have to time my round on Friday.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #76
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Oh thats great I missed the whole it should only take 96 seconds for the complex requirement. That is pretty freaking crazy.

I Guess I will have to time my round on Friday.
Yeah, I didn't think I was as slow as I was when I did the first round until I looked down at my timer.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #77
Allen Yeh

April 9, 2007 - Test Week - BW = 186
Core Performance Movement prep
scap pushup - 15
pushup - 10
static hang - 32 seconds
kb swing - 50# x 25
pullup (deadhang) - 3, 13, 65 x 0, 65 x 1, 90 x 0
dip - 3, 33, 65 x 1, 90 x 1, 135 x 0
L-sit - 10 seconds
squat - 50 in 1:06
MB cleans - 14# x 10

Deadlift - 155 x 4, 155 x 4, 225 x 3, 285 x 2, 300 x 1, 320 x 1, 340 x 1, 360 x 1, 380 x 0

Row @5- 2000m - 7:48.7 - 1:57/Avg 500m, 217 Avg Watt
split times: 1:54.6, 1:56.9, 1:57.6, 1:59.7

Notes:
-My shoulders feel better and I'm getting pretty bored of doing a complete shoulder rehab routine every other time I go to the gym. Not to say I won't be doing exercises but I'm going to start doing things I've been staying away from for the last month or so like pullups, dips...etc
-Dead hang pullups - it's about where I'd think it would be after not doing a pullup for a month+, I want to test my kipping number to see where that is later this week. I would like to get to 20 dead hangs as a goal for the next few months.
-Dips - Better than I thought, I was around 30 last summer and haven't really done any dip specific stuff for at least 6+ months. the 90 pound dip wasn't that bad but the 135 as soon as I bent my arms it was all downhill from there.
-Deadlift - I used Charles Poliquin's warmup to max method for this attempt to try it out, my recent PR for this lift is 385 at 192#'s, I didn't make the 380, I just couldn't squeeze it off the floor. The 360 did feel easy however and I wonder if 370 would have been possible. The day after however my back is pissed off at me! Ugh, it's days like this that really make me question whether or not I really should be doing the heavy conventional deadlift when it makes my back feel this way.
Row - I was really concentrating on a powerful pull and keeping my stroke rate down, but near the end my strokes/min jumped up like 5 strokes but my pace was slowing.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #78
Allen Yeh

Goals? This is a bit of a ramble, but right now I have no concrete goals and perhaps after I finish my testing week I'll decide where to go from here. The only thing I need to keep in mind is my 2-mile run which is needed for the Army Reserve thing. That is the only thing I'd like to train up and maintain. I had thought about doing the big 21 program but I don't think my snatch form is good enough and I'm also cautious about irking my shoulder with all the clean and press. I'm debating the idea of throwing out my numbers and letting everyone take a crack at my next 6 weeks like what Steve did.

I would like to be able to bring these up and be able to maintain it.
Priorities:
-Running 2 mile in less than 15 minutes preferably 14, I'm not even sure what my time is right now, I need to test this later this week.

Nice to haves:
-20 dead hang pullups
-BW OHS for reps
-Snatch? Huge drawback of working out at the AF base they are very O-lift unfriendly and I've been almost kicked out just fooling around with these.
-deadlift - I'd like to be able to deadlift without feeling like I'm incapacitated for days on end after, maybe I'm just a pussy but I'm tending to think it's not normal for a lower back to feel like this.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #79
Allen Yeh

April 10, 2007 - Testing week
Core Performance Prehab:
Swiss ball crunches - 15#x20
pillar bridge front - narrow stance - 10L/R
Pillar Bridge side - jumping jack - 10L/R
glute bridge - knee bent - 10 L/R
mini band walk - 10L/R
Y's and T's - 10, 10

quadruped hip rotation - 4L/R
scap pushup - 15

OHS - stick x 15, 45 x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 95 x 21
Power Snatch + OHS - 45 x 1, 95 x 1, 135 x 1, 135 x 2, 135 x 2, 135 x 2
Snatch Balance - 45 x 5, 95 x 5
High Pull - 135 x 3
Power clean - 135 x 1
clean + jerk - 135 x 1, 185 x 1, 195 x 1, 205 x 0
press outs-135 x 3, 185 x 3, 195 x 3
sotts press - 45 x 3, 45 x 3
muscle snatch - 45 x 5, 65 x 5, 85 x 4
DB curls - 45 x 9, drop set 30 x 5, drop set 20 x 7

Notes:
-So originally today I was going to take it light because my lower back feels like crap from the DL's but after a few OHS's I thought I'd try a hand at snatch and C+J's
-OHS - 135 x 3 wasn't all that hard, I was pretty surprised when I got 21 with 95 that's for sure.
-Power Snatch - UGH!! Ok so it's pretty bad that I can muscle snatch 85 for 4 and I power snatch 135, so I threw in the snatch balances to work on the drop.
-Snatch Balance - 95 felt good but I wasn't comfortable moving up to 135.
-Clean + Jerk - I stopped after I missed 205, I had a press out on 195, my jerk needs work.
-Sotts Press - Ok so in the bottom squat position your suppose to do a shoulder press right? Then why is it I couldn't even push up 95? 45 was even a struggle huh??? I need to reread this because I feel like I must have been doing something wrong here.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #80
Pierre Auge

Allen,
the muscles of the torso are too busy keeping you upright in the bottom of the squat to assist with pressing the weight overhead. Thats why its so hard to push little weights with the SOTTS press. It plain just sucks!!! Start with a hard 45 and move up in tiny little increments its the only way.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote