Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #261
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wednesday April 13th

Power Clean
167.5x15x1

Reps went up nicely except for 2, one didn't rack (I lost focus when I turned off the music, racked fine in the next immediate attempt), and the other smacked me really good in the neck. Felt that one for awhile.

Stiff Legged Deadlift
135x5
195x5
235x5
285x5
340x5

Power clean was a good warm up and didn't interfere at all I dont think. 405!!!!!!aarggh!!!

I'm also skipping cardio. I'll do it on an ad hoc basis, then I'll just focus on it hard and bring it up to par quickly. The real issue for me is speed and stamina, endurance is fine. Hopefully the olympic lifts and sensible eating take care of the speed issue.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #262
Kevin Shaughnessy

Thursday April 14th

Press
100x7x5

Focused on pushing with maximum speed.

Front Squat
175x5x2
195x1

So 5 doubles and a hard single, progression will be linear. I'm switching to an olympic lifting focus so naturally these were rock bottom squats.

Dumbbell Row
104x2x5
104x12 R
104x10 L

Ring Chin-Ups

The fruit of my 5 weeks of gtg labor. 1, maybe 1.5 reps. Eh.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #263
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday April 15th

Power Snatch
117.5x15x1

These felt a little too difficult, some of them had to be pressed out a little and such. Not very much though. One of the reps had the bar falling backward and onto to the floor, left some dents in my concrete garage floor. But when I really committed 100% to sending the bar flying it went where it needed to go. The 14th rep felt perfect so I think it was more about focus then actual poor recovery.

Squats
95x10
135x5

Lower back was feeling worse as the reps continued, called it a day. I'm switching to the texas method for squats. Actually my whole routine will be texas method inspired. The squat will be 5x5/1x5 with 11 reps of front squats on recovery day, SLDL once a week for ramping 5x5, the olympic variants will progress linearly for as long as they can then I'll start a volume/intensity thing, probably 12x2 then a PR single on friday, alternating PC and PS weekly. Press after smolov will be 6x3 PP on volume day, 2x5 strict press on recovery day, and a pr PP 1-3RM on intensity day. I'll do this for as long as I can, tweaking as necessary, then switch to an olympic lifting specific routine, maybe the CA WOD.

Back Extensions
1x20

Done with a some hanging to decompress between reps. Helped a bit.

CoC #1 static holds
25 17 R
16 L

Wow, strong reattainment of PR levels in 1 workout. Big decline in 2nd set so I called it a day with my R hand. Couldn't get the gripper closed for a second attempt with my L hand so thats a big call it a day scenario. I'll get to 30 and then switch to the 1.5.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #264
Derek Simonds

Nice work lately. Are you Olympic Lifting with metal plates?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #265
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Nice work lately. Are you Olympic Lifting with metal plates?
Yea. I might spring for some bumpers but they're pretty expensive, not so much the sale price but international shipping on 160+ pounds is probably soul crushingly bad. My main worry is eventually ruining my barbell. Is that a real concern?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #266
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday April 16th

Press
45x10
70x5
90x3
105x8x4

Getting a kind of impingement type pain in my left shoulder that abates as the sets continue.

Neck Harness
25x3x30

No neck pain today, still felt worried about herniating a disk in my neck as I did the exercise though. Maybe I'll just add reps for awhile.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #267
Derek Simonds

It is a completely different experience lifting with bumpers. Which I am sure you know already. There are a lot more vendors selling bumpers have you checked lately for shipping to where you are?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #268
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
It is a completely different experience lifting with bumpers. Which I am sure you know already. There are a lot more vendors selling bumpers have you checked lately for shipping to where you are?
Rogue Canada has free shipping on sets of bumpers so I'm probably going to go with them. I also at least know the quality will be alright. Unless you know a better deal? Rogue Canada sells 160# bumper plate set for 400$ USD shipped.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #269
Kevin Shaughnessy

Sunday April 17th

Press
110x10x3

Was too easy. All sets done on 2 min rest except the last which was done on 1 minutes rest. I guess this means I wont need to take conservative jumps. 7.5# outta do it.

For a week or two now I've had pain in my biceps at the very top of a chin up. I'm going to discontinue the gtg and go back to ladders (tuedays and saturday).
Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #270
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday April 18th

Power Clean
95x5
115x5
135x3
150x1
170x15x1

They all went up, but they werent exactly pretty. More squatting under the bar/wide stancing today then the last few workouts. I'm skeptical hippo on whether I can add more weight friday after wednesdays SLDL. I might have to take a light day, or just work up to a hard single.

Squat
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x5x5

Very good form if I do say so myself. Focused on pushing my knees out hard and keeping them out and sinking each rep.

CoC #1 Static Hold
24 17.9 R
17 10 L

Bad setup on the first set with my R hand. My pinky was only a mm or 2 on the gripper. Probably would have been a PR.