Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Will Peterson

Default Mushy clean

I have been having issus pulling under my cleans as they have gotten heavier, and I just don't understand how to change the issue. I have a high deadlift and can PC more than I can clean.

I have gotten to a point where it has been advised that I short my pull ever so slightly and get under it, and here begins my problem. What happens is that my shoulders go down faster than my hips leaving me in a compromised position with a "mushy" catch -- if at all.

I can front squat 40kg more than I can clean, and I can jerk 15kg more than my 'max' clean. I continue to work clean pull unders, high hang cleans, etc, but they do not seem to be translating. I understand there is no magic fix, but is there something that I may be overlooking?

Thank you.
Will Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Pat McElhone

Do you have a coach? or are you able to lift with some experienced weightlifters?

A session or two under the watchful eye of an experienced lifter or experienced coach is probably your best bet to find out what you are doing wrong. Next option, post a video and let the world critique it.

Without seeing anything at all, my first thought is what are you doing with your traps? When are you firing them? Many different thoughts here, but IMO, the traps should be fired strongest as the feet are off the platform moving from the pulling to receiving position. This motion will cause you to move down and when combined with whipping the elbows around will pull you under the bar.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Will Peterson

Thanks, Pat --

I have been working with a coach, but I must be missing a cue as it has been an issue for the past two weeks or so. I have worked most of it out the past couple of workouts by putting most other things on cruise control and trying to take a layer of skin off my chest with the bar as it goes by. I believe the bar was floating out front a bit on me, but I just don't know where I picked that up (meaning that has not always been a problem).
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Pat McElhone

Your welcome.

Hey just wondering, how did you find your coach? Do you know what training they have to call themselves a "coach"

Good lucK!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Emily Mattes

Will, what do you mean by "mushy"? Do you mean you collapse into the hole and the clean pins you? Or when you catch the clean your elbows drop and the bar slips out?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
Will Peterson

Emily,

I am sorry for the slow response. My issue has never been getting pinned. I can front squat enough that it is certainly not my current limiter. I have been having the trouble of collapsing forward and having my elbows knocked down. When I am able to get up with a heavy clean, it is usually by the force my arms -- not quite Zercher or something that extreme, but the weight is too far forward because I am pulling my arms underneath without getting my hips low enough. Up to about 90% my max, the focus on hitting my chest (in a very vertical way -- not nearly hard enough to push the bar, more to not let me lean as I go down) has helped.

Pat,

I guess it is more a gentleman who is very knowledgeable from doing that I pay a couple of dollars to let me lift with him. He has certainly proven himself as a coach outside of weightlifting and a weightlifter outside of coaching.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

A video would be best to diagnose the issue at hand but for now focus on squatting straight down under that bar instead of diving under it.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote