Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #271
Kevin Shaughnessy

Tuesday April 19th

Press
97.5x6x6

Done on three minutes rest with the last set done on 1 minutes rest. This is going well so far, if things continue like this I might add another week to the program.

Pull Up Ladder
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 3 and 1/2
1 2
Total 31 1/2

Looks like while I only added 1 rep or so to my max, my ability to handle volume/density improved a bit more from greasing the groove. Previous PR of total reps was 21.

Wrist Extensions
56x3x12

----------------------------------------

So I'm now wrapping up my first real year of barbell training. It was pretty productive in some respects (squat went from 165x5 to 300x5, deadlift from 285x5 to 355x8, bench from 155x1 to 220x1) and unproductive in others (press went from 115x1 to 120x5 at the end of the year). This next year I know is going to be more productive then this one though, because I'm not going to make the same mistakes I made this past year. They include:

- Being retarded with my diet and letting myself get too fat, then wasting training time cutting weight and having my strength dip or stagnate in some lifts. Eating at maintenance and then only grudgingly adding weight this year.
- Training with high reps. They might work well for some people but I didn't find training with high reps carried over well to low reps (evidenced by 285x10 squat with a 315x1 squat a few weeks later). My gains were still good, but they could have been better. No more then 5 from now on.
- Program ADD. This past four months has seen my strength go nowhere on my main lifts, at least partly because I haven't commited to a program long enough to see gains. I'll probably stay on the texas method for this entire year, if I can.
- Letting bad form slide in the name of faster improvement. I let my knees cave since the first few months and now I have to lower the weight significantly to allow proper execution.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #272
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wednesday April 20th

Power Snatch
120x4x1

Failed on 2 attempts on a fifth rep so I called it a day. I'm just going to focus on the power clean for now.

Front Squat
45x10
95x5
115x5
145x3
180x3x3

Got my VS athletics shoes today and I like them alot. They have a tall heel but it seems to work because I was able to much more comfortably use the clean style rack. 2.5# increases from here.

Form check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXo61cAFUuA - Any comments are appreciated!

SLDL
135x5
195x5
235x5
285x5
345x5

Wore my new shoes thinking I would add some ROM to the lift. But for some reason, I had a much easier time lifting the weight then last wed. Cool. I dont think it was more quad being involved either, since the vid I took shows no more knee bend then last time (at least, maybe even less knee bend. The 2 videos are at different angles so its hard to tell).

Press
107.5x7x5

Was craving some pressing, figured it wouldn't hurt. Last set was done with 1:30 seconds rest, as is now customary.

Neck Harness
25x1x35
25x1x50
25x1x85

Something happened on the second set around 30 reps, and the reps just suddenlt felt incredibly easy and I was banging them out really quick. Maybe the harness wiggled into a sweet spot. Anyway this carried over to the last set where I set a huge rep record (previous PR was 30 reps a couple days ago.) I am going to feel this in the morning. Also, I did some light stretching beforehand and it I think it helped not feel any neck pain.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #273
Kevin Shaughnessy

Thursday April 21st

Neck Harness
35x1x20
35x1x30

Now for three days rest before I go for max reps with 35#.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #274
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday April 22nd

Hang Power Clean
95x5
115x5
135x3
150x1
160x1
165x1

I prefer cleans from the hang, less thought on technique and more on just exploding.

Squat
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
250x5

Knees out is really killing my strength. Fawk.

Press
112.5x8x4

It occured to me that I never shrug up at lockout, which may be why my shoulder is hurting.

Dumbbell Row
20x20
40x10
70x8
106x2x5
106x11 R
106x10 L

Some post. delt pain in my left shoulder. Still happy to be remaining in the double digit rep counts.

------------------------------------------------------

Got it all planned out, brahs. Texas Method non-stop, never missing a single workout, great form, smart jumps, resets when necessary to peak for next january 29-30th at the next Battle Of Montreal powerlifting meet. I'll hit up a smolov cycle for the bench and hopefully the fact that I'm not going to bench much if ever this year doesn't lower my total too badly. I'd like to hit a 500 deadlift, 400-440 squat, and 250ish bench for a 1150-1190 total at whateverthefuck bodyweight, definitely not in the 242s though, preferably I'd like to weigh no more then 220-225 by then.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #275
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday April 23rd

Press
117.5x10x3

This was not very easy, not at all like 110x10x3 last week. 5 pound jump next week.

--------------------------

Weigh 211 this morning. Have some soothing music brahs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tORtmKIjE
Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #276
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday April 25th

Hang Power Clean
95x5
115x5
135x3
145x8x2

Seventh set sucked, eighth was much improved.

Squat
95x10
135x5
185x5
230x5x5

Went up much easier today. I think/hope that I'll get some kind of neurological newbie gains with my knees out which will bring me up to my previous numbers quickly. Ditched the resistance tube for the last set and I don't think I need it anymore. Vid of set 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6xEg7cqwLo form could use improvement.

Press
45x10
65x5
85x5
102.5x6x6

Went up pretty easy but I was feeling a little drained after the squats so didn't test to see if I could get the last set with a minutes rest. Probably could have.

---------------------------------------------------------

Note to self: next squat workout, lift toes and push floor apart with feet.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #277
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
It occured to me that I never shrug up at lockout, which may be why my shoulder is hurting.
If I understand what you wrote you don't want to shrug up at the lockout on the press. That is how I hurt my shoulder pretty badly. If I understand it correctly you want to have your shoulders "packed" and your scapulas tucked in your back pocket. Those are both coaching cues that I was given by an RKC. Don't know if that helps.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #278
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
If I understand what you wrote you don't want to shrug up at the lockout on the press. That is how I hurt my shoulder pretty badly. If I understand it correctly you want to have your shoulders "packed" and your scapulas tucked in your back pocket. Those are both coaching cues that I was given by an RKC. Don't know if that helps.
Thats interesting. Mark Rippetoe is the one who teaches the shrug up at lockout, and in gymnastics I believe shrugging is the the proper way to perform a handstand. I'll do some research, thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #279
Kevin Shaughnessy

Tuesday April 26th

Wrist Extension
57x3x12

GTG Chin ups
7 sets of 6

I've started gtg chins again after a two week hiatus, which has allowed my biceps to heal up pretty well. I'll stick with it until 1 week into sets of 8 and then test my new max.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #280
Kevin Shaughnessy

Wednesday April 27th

Press
112.5x7x5

Fairly difficult, could have been worse though. Very minimal pain, seems to be clearing up on its own.

Front Squat
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x3
155x2
182.5x3x3

Much better form today thanks to two changes. The first and most helpful was going barefoot instead of wearing VS athletics. The heel is just too damned tall on those shoes. The second was not trying to hit rock-rock bottom. It appears as if to do that I had been relaxing to hit that extra mm of depth and it was part of the cause of pitching me forward.

RDL
135x5
195x5
245x5
295x5
350x5

This was pretty hard today.