Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
Troy Kerr

Right now I can manage 2 rto dips. Would an rot support take the place of l-sits due to the similar shoulder position?
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
Troy Kerr

I have not trained bulgarian dips in my routine exclusively yet. I would assume it would be smart to train these before moving onto rto dips?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

RTO support should eventually be propagated to RTO L-sit. I do not think you need to eliminate L-sit progressions in the meantime though.

I do not believe bulgarian dips are useful in that context but you can progress through that progression if you want. The alternative is parallel ring dips then progress to RTO as you improve.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
Blair Lowe

Sounds like your ring dip strength is around where mine is, Troy. I've tinkered with the idea of doing wide arm dips on the parallel bars or russian dips. I also set up two blocks and do a dip that starts learning forward towards something like a bent arm elbow lever, wanna be bent arm maltese.

Leave the bulgarian dips till you can do parallel ring dips. RTO dips after you can do Bulgarians.

Right now, I just set up a new program where I work rope pullups and ring dips on Tu and F. M&Th I work a basic ring series involving muscle-up then negative muscle-up 3x3 to go along with body lever, block maltese and HS to shoulderstand on rings (it honestly doesn't work very well going from shoulderstand to invert hang).

I had been meaning to do levers and ring support work 4d/week but now I'm leaving to just Tu/F due to the 5 sets of body lever, block maltese, and ring HS to shoulderstand (which I'm gonna replace with press HS).

I think this should work well for me. I had intended to do ring dips instead of hands turned out dips on blocks but I was too tired to support on rings. And yes, sleep and eating are pretty shitty for awhile to be coming up
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Troy Kerr

So far my push pull days are looking like this:
HS statics alt./ between stomach to wall freestanding, and bent arm straddle presses to hs.
L-sit: 3-5 sets of 5 second holds. Some days I feel good with these and others they're tough. I will monitor the progress.
Push Day;
Tuck planche; 6x8 second holds
RTO support hold: 6x10 seconds
PPPU on rings: 3x3

Pull: Adv. Tuck Front Lever: 6x8 seoncd hold OR Half Tuck Negatives
Straight arm Front Pulls: 3x2 or Front lever pullups
Muscle up transitions or 1 arm rows 3x8

I have yet to tinker with the pulling day at all yet so some of the numbers are skewed. I will rotate the PPPU's with the bar dips as well. I was messing around on the parallettes today and did a tuck HS roll to a bent arms straddle planche, and was able to get a decent press. Could be a fluke since I had some extra energy today. Just though it was of decent note.