Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #311
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday June 3rd

Bench Press - Paused
150x8x4

2 min rest between sets.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #312
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday June 4th

Dumbbell Row
20x20
40x10
60x8
80x5
90x3
118x2x5
118x10 R L

28 pounds and I`m still in the double digits.

Squat
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
280x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMEkrsX90U. Wore my resistance tube and I believe I`ll continue to on intensity day. Knees still came in a bit, but not as much as last time.

Bench Press - Paused
157.5x10x3

No warm up because I`m a lazy bastard and I figured the rows got my elbows warm enough. 2 min rest between sets.

Deadlift
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
330x3
390x5

So really 385. And tough. I dont think I`ll be jumping 20 more pounds in 2 weeks so I`ll start the 5 pound jumps. This sucks because I`ve been telling people I can do 405x5 and now I guess I`m just a liar. Hopefully not. This also tells me that the time I spent doing good mornings and RDLs wasn`t quite as fruitfull as I had thought. Considering I did 355x8 before stopping, and assuming that a 10 pound jump meant a loss of one rep, I might have only added 5-10 pounds in 5 months. Thats not so good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhCFPjJw2zE - watch how slow those reps are.

Wide Stance Box Squat
165x10 (11?)

I guess I`m pretty spent because 165 felt damn heavy once I unracked it.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #313
Kevin Shaughnessy

Monday June 6th

Bench Press - Paused
Warm Ups
137x6x6

3 min rest between sets. 7 pound jump.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #314
Kevin Shaughnessy

Tuesday June 7th

Hang Power Clean
95x5
115x5
135x3
155x2
172.5x8x2

Easy. I've found its easier for me to maintain good form if I just keep my feet on the ground, extend the ankles hard and squat straight down, rather than actually jump.

Squat
45x10
95x10
135x5
185x5
205x3
255x2x5

Its been one week since I aggravated my lower back volume squatting. I still had some pain but I thought I would be okay, and I was for one set. The second set however reaggravated the injury pretty decently and I decided that it was too serious to continue, although its not like I haven't had this kind of pain a 20 times before in the past year though, so its not serious serious. I got both sets on video and I'm analyzing them for what went wrong. This most obvious error was going too deep. This seems to place much, much greater stress on the spine then a slightly below parallel squat. Another issue is the deadlift. This injury would have healed if not for saturdays deadlifting, I'm sure of it, and frankly my lower back felt like shit that night after DLing. And is it any coincidence that since I've begun deadlifting again, my back has been hurting the majority of the time? I dont think so. I think I'll either pull sumo, or apply more of a conjugate approach deadlifting rarely, or both. I won't be doing conventional deadlifts again anytime soon anyways. Maybe its best to save it for meet

Injury vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nG3mUgFyi0

Wide Stance Box Squat
175x10

No harder then 135x10 was. Ya know, I think I would be really happy if these overshot my close stance squatting. The mechanics of it just seem friendlier to the body, what with the upright torso and minimal knee travel. The only problem would be hip strain, but I could just wear briefs. -edit- Problem: I'm squatting to a 15" box and that has me above parallel by a couple inches. Fawk. Time to buy some plywood.

Wide Stance Squat
175x10

Down to a 13 inch box. Maybe half an inch above parallel, but this shit is hard on the adductors so I'm not to upset. I think I'll just continue squatting to the 15 inch box. Easier on the addies and this is just an assistance exercise for now.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #315
Eduardo Chile

You're right about your squats with your knees caving it. You may find it easier to keep your knees out if you go a little bit wider a couple of inches. But your squats look pretty good.

On your deadlifts, it seems you might be able to get your hips a little lower on some of the reps, especially the last one. This may help with your lockout speed.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #316
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
You're right about your squats with your knees caving it. You may find it easier to keep your knees out if you go a little bit wider a couple of inches. But your squats look pretty good.

On your deadlifts, it seems you might be able to get your hips a little lower on some of the reps, especially the last one. This may help with your lockout speed.
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried going wider while squatting but I find that the wider I go, the weaker I am.

Wednesday June 8th

Bench Press - Paused
145x7x5

Pretty easy.

Weight Chin Ups
12.5x5
10x3
30x1

Went up without a death struggle, and elbows feel less painfull this time around. They still hurt, but not as much.

CoC #1 L, #1.5 R Static Holds
17 15 9
13 9
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #317
Eduardo Chile

I think you will find that to be the case with any change you make since strength is very specific to ypur motor pattern. You can't look at it like that. You have to see it as long term progress and going a bit wider may get you there faster 3 months from now. Just my two cents.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #318
Kevin Shaughnessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
I think you will find that to be the case with any change you make since strength is very specific to ypur motor pattern. You can't look at it like that. You have to see it as long term progress and going a bit wider may get you there faster 3 months from now. Just my two cents.
Noted. I would probably have gone this route if my squat numbers weren't so low. I could handle a temporary drop if I was approaching 400.

Thursday June 9th

Front Squat
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x3
175x2
205x3x3
Wide Stance Box Squat 185x10

Something magical has been happening the last two squat workouts. My knees have been staying out without my having to really try, or even think about it. I think the wide stance squats are doing their work. Wide stance squats were hard today though, I dont know if it was the extra volume on tuesday or just that I'm hitting a wall with 10 pound jumps, but I'll try one more 10 pound jump.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #319
Kevin Shaughnessy

Friday June 10th

Bench Press - Paused
157x8x4

3 min rest, not really all that easy.

CoC #1.5, #2
#2 3x2 R
#1.5 1x4 1x1 L
Old 06-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #320
Kevin Shaughnessy

Saturday June 11th

Dumbbell Row
20x20
40x12
60x8
80x6
95x3
120x12 R
120x11 L

Weight felt real light today, very happy with this PR. Attempted 12 reps with my L hand but the 11th didn't really touch so I'm not counting it. Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQSIByzuhlI

Squats
45x10
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
255x2
290x5

Those wide stance squats are really working, I felt so much stronger in regards to keeping my knees out. 255 went up so easy that I figured a 10 pound jump would be doable. 2 more weeks and I'm into PR zone. I have a good feeling about the next couple of months. I'm also sold on the idea of taking a deload on volume day every 4 weeks, as I'm fairly certain thats whats responsible for this bigger jump. Used the box today (lowered down to touch below parallel box). The internet form warriors of the world will continue to hate I'm sure, but if it keeps me injury free I'm happy.

Wide Stance Box Squat
195x10

More 10 pound jumps should be doable.

Bench Press - Paused
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
165x10x3

3 min rest for the first 5 sets, then down to 2 min for the rest.

Power Clean
200x1

Noice. I thought that since I wasn't deadlifting I might as well try for a max power clean. Tried to get 210 (BW) twice but it wouldn't rack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md9FsTvtAxY