Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Bee Brian

Default How often does a weightlifter need to prioritize sheer strength-development?

I'm curious about this. The thing is, all weightlifters of all levels are NOT neglecting their squats and pulls. Some of them do squats BEFORE the classic lifts to prioritize their lower-body strength. Although many lifters would say that this is unoptimal for training, it has been established that doing a heavy strength exercise before the power-exercises will greatly benefit strength gains.

Either way, I am noticing that about 95% of weightlifters train strength and speed at the same time.

But are there instances where a weightlifter really, desperately need to get their squat numbers up to the point where they HAVE TO sacrifice some of their speed-based workouts? (examples: cutting back on snatches, replacing cleans with clean-pulls, doing squats before snatches, etc.)

If so, how often does this happen?

Thanks in advance.
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Brian View Post

But are there instances where a weightlifter really, desperately need to get their squat numbers up to the point where they HAVE TO sacrifice some of their speed-based workouts? (examples: cutting back on snatches, replacing cleans with clean-pulls, doing squats before snatches, etc.)

If so, how often does this happen?

Thanks in advance.
"Why would one HAVE TO get their squat numbers up if they are a WEIGHTLIFTER?" is the underlying question. They might need to, they might not...
You might want to read this from Pendlay.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
"Why would one HAVE TO get their squat numbers up if they are a WEIGHTLIFTER?" is the underlying question. They might need to, they might not...
You might want to read this from Pendlay.
LOL! I've read that three times already.

What I am trying to say is, certain powerlifters who have weak triceps prioritize things like top-end bench presses at the expense of doing chest and shoulder exercises first.

Do weightlifters ever need to prioritize their squats and pulls over their cleans and snatches?
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote