Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #1821
Ryan Hoegner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I did want to ask a question about some of the stuff that has been brought up in this thread though. It has been brought up that box jumps cause a lot of achilles problems because of the rebound at the bottom. Does that make jumping rope dangerous? What about sprinting? They do similar types of things to the achilles don't they? Is it the height of the box and the number of repetitions that makes it worse? Also there were posts where tire flips and KB swings caused injuries. Why are these bad movements? Are they bad or did the person just happen to get hurt that day? What if you did KB swings to only eye level instead of overhead? Are they still bad?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I'm not trying to defend box jumps or anything. I really just want to know for my own knowledge.
Double unders don't have the impact of a 20-24" box jump. I wouldn't be too concerned. The box height certainly makes it worse if the trainee is doing the pogo stick type box jumps. Body weight and age could also be a factor.
Ryan Hoegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #1822
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #1823
Steven Gaffin

Default thoughts

Might be a little off subject but I have noticed how CrossFit is becoming more of a crazy religion.

They have devotion among their masses; you must be baptized by going though an introductory course; they follow one man, no matter what he says even if he is being a complete dick; Speaking out of doctrine is like blasphemy and apparently when you leave the cough*church cough* gym barely anyone talks to you and when they see you at the grocery store they either ignore you or want to talk about the CrossFit gym.

I asked one girl on facebook how she liked her Rhodesian Ridgeback because I was thinking of adopting one. I had known her for over a year at the CF box. She wouldn't reply. AT ALL!

At least I can workout with defected CrossFit'ers
Steven Gaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #1824
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gaffin View Post
Might be a little off subject but I have noticed how CrossFit is becoming more of a crazy religion.

They have devotion among their masses; you must be baptized by going though an introductory course; they follow one man, no matter what he says even if he is being a complete dick; Speaking out of doctrine is like blasphemy and apparently when you leave the cough*church cough* gym barely anyone talks to you and when they see you at the grocery store they either ignore you or want to talk about the CrossFit gym.

I asked one girl on facebook how she liked her Rhodesian Ridgeback because I was thinking of adopting one. I had known her for over a year at the CF box. She wouldn't reply. AT ALL!

At least I can workout with defected CrossFit'ers
lol yeah this has been discussed quite a bit in this thread, but it's a ridiculously long thread so repeats are expected.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #1825
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Check this out.

Quote:
If you do Crossfit, do you know anyone at your gym who has suffered an injury? Have you been injured? It seems the sport is producing more and more injuries – which may be true.
Quote:
John has been doing Crossfit for two years. He is 26 years old. Last December, he had a double hip replacement.
Quote:
What, if anything, do these two people have in common besides Crossfit and hip injuries?
Quote:
John reached out to a trainer at a local Crossfit gym. Serendipitously, that trainer had experienced two shoulder injuries himself and had extensive injury knowledge.
Quote:
I think Crossfit and my active lifestyle revealed the problem with my hips
Quote:
I was very optimistic. I stuck to my paleo diet and fish oil supplements.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #1826
Andrew Wilson
Banned

The
Quote:
paleo diet and fish oil supplements.
gets me everytime.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #1827
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
I had chronic pain in my left shoulder so badly that I could no longer even hang from a bar.
Quote:
I decided to have surgery last May.
Quote:
When my six week mark hit, I had full range of motion and was no longer in the pain like I had been before surgery. I got a clean bill of health and was ready to get back to my CrossFit routine. At first I felt great, but after a month my shoulder began to progressively decline.
Quote:
I was taking the recommended daily fish oil capsules from an alternative brand (at the price of what I could have purchased a whole new wardrobe with), and still was not feeling an ounce better.
Quote:
I went back to my doctor, and he recommended I go under the knife again.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #1828
Ken Urakawa

Just pointing out that these are essentially 'testimonials' from a company that is attempting to sell fish oil supplements at the Games. Not surprising that their product will rescue you from the brink of death and/or decrepitude.
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #1829
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Crossfit Rhabdo 209
Crossfit Rhabdo 210
Crossfit Rhabdo 211
Crossfit Rhabdo 212

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #1830
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Hmmm, avascular necrosis is an interesting injury.

Typically, exercise is good for the hip joint because movement forces synovial fluid around the hip joint which provides nutrients to he cartilage and whatnot.

Clearly, the hip pain was an indication that something is wrong. Would it have fix if he stopped heavily exercising? Possible.. I don't think you could say one way or the other that it was something there that was caused by CF. But we do know that it was exacerbated by CF.

Any time you chronically inflame an area without allowing it to heal you're opening yourself up to some bad bad bad bad injuries.

The funny thing is that hip replacements even on heavy exercise and good technology now will last probably 7-10 years perhaps? So I guess if he thinks that it's a good thing CF revealed his poor hips he will also be glad to know that he will likely have double hip replacements every 10 years for the rest of his life (and the associative rehab that goes along with that).

To be honest, I don't think I would ever recommend that :\