Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #2421
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Sack View Post
I'm just waiting for all the out-of-business liquidation sales. Then I can buy a GHD and use it correctly.

Here's a funny article by Glenn Pendlay about those CF shirts. I might pick up that Crossfit Salem one...

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/20...will-kill-you/
Quote:
I have been annoyed at many Crossfit shirts. This started when I watched a guy at a local weightlifting meet warm up next to Donny Shankle wearing a “Crossfit: your workout is our warmup” shirt. Donny was warming up to open his snatch at 160kg, this guy was opening at 60kg and was struggling with 50kg in the warmup room. I remember thinking that this guy couldn’t even do Donny’s warmup, not even 1/4 of it, let alone his workout. Who did he think he was? For some reason this stuck with me and every time I saw one of those shirts my blood pressure went up a couple of points. Shirts like “Smoke you like cheap crack”, fed into this. I mean really, smoke everyone who reads the shirt? Smoke them at what? The clean and jerk? The 2 mile run? Open water swim? Smoke everyone at every possible athletic event? Then the endless shirts playing up the fact that the wearer, or crossfitters in general, hurt more than anyone else, collapse at the end of the workout more than anyone else, throw up more than anyone else, or even sweat more than anyone else.

I'm seriously laughing my ass off
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #2422
Matt Thomas

yeah it was funny until he compared CFers to kenyan runners and said I guess I see where they're coming from and that the shirts weren't so bad.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #2423
Tamara Reynolds

I own the CrossFit Salem shirt. It is amazing. The rainbow pegasus has sparkles on it. I hit a press PR while I was wearing it last week. Highly recommended.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #2424
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
yeah it was funny until he compared CFers to kenyan runners and said I guess I see where they're coming from and that the shirts weren't so bad.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #2425
Matt Thomas

Ah. I just misunderstood because of his accent I guess...

My favorite was Donnie's comment.

"Lord, family, prayers, blah blah.

But the shirt with the hot asians riding wolves gets my dick hard."

classic.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #2426
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Yeah that accent is challenging to read at times. I have to turn to google translate every now and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post

My favorite was Donnie's comment.

"Lord, family, prayers, blah blah.

But the shirt with the hot asians riding wolves gets my dick hard."

classic.
hahahahahaha!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #2427
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Just ran into this interesting rhabdo case. This lad ruptured his achilles, has surgery, and a few days later a blood clot happens, and he develops rhabdomyolysis. Not sure how he ruptured his achilles, I doubt it was from crossfit, but that is crazy.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #2428
Andrew Wilson
Banned

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.co...arly-treatment
Quote:
In rare cases, people unused to exercise -- or even well-trained athletes participating in a grueling endurance event -- can experience rhabdomyolysis, a serious syndrome that results when muscle fibers break down and are released into the bloodstream. In these cases, rhabdomyolysis is caused by extreme muscle strain.

But rhabdomyolysis also can be caused by alcohol, cocaine or amphetamine use; a crush injury; corticoseteroid or statin medications; from lying still for a prolonged period of time while unconscious; third-degree burns; heat stroke or high body temperature; seizures; metabolic disorders; muscle diseases; or serious viral or bacterial infections that release toxins into the bloodstream. Once someone has had rhabdomyolysis, their risk for developing the condition again increases.

This is a serious condition that can result in kidney failure or, in rare cases, death, so it's important to know the symptoms. It is important to note that the symptoms can occur in one specific region of the body or affect the whole body.

Rhabdomyolysis symptoms include muscle weakness, nausea or vomiting, just "not feeling right," difficulty moving arms or legs, fever, confusion, dehydration that can result in dark-colored urine and falling unconscious.

If you are suffering the above symptoms, it is important you receive immediate medical attention because there are a variety of medical complications possible.

In some cases, potassium blood levels are elevated, which can lead to an irregular heartbeat or cardiac arrest. If not treated soon enough, you could experience liver damage or kidney failure. You also could suffer from "compartment syndrome" in which the nerves, blood vessels and muscles are compressed, causing lasting tissue and blood flow damage.

Early medical treatment is crucial. If you do have rhabdomyolysis, you will be admitted to the hospital. You most likely will receive intravenous fluids to prevent kidney damage, and in some cases, you might need to be admitted to the intensive care unit. If your kidneys do fail, you might need dialysis. Serious cases of compartment syndrome require surgery as well.

Dr. Randal F. Wojciehoski, also known as Dr. Wojo, is an emergency medicine physician at Ministry Saint Michael's Hospital.
So my hunch was right. These Crossfitters not getting hospital treatment for "butt-arms" will have long term, permanent damage.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #2429
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
Looks like ad copy for Inov-8 and Lululemon to me!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #2430
Corey Kissel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.co...arly-treatment

So my hunch was right. These Crossfitters not getting hospital treatment for "butt-arms" will have long term, permanent damage.
Ahh man, I mean we all knew that it was likely to cause long-term damage treated or left untreated (It "intuited" well) but to see it actually verified in that article is painful to read...I wonder if the chronic damage will be more severe from a case that wasn't as severe that didn't receive treatment in comparison to a more severe case that did receive the appropriate interventions.
Corey Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote