Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default AFG Team Strongman event ideas

I've volunteered to help set up a Team Strongman event for the servicemembers here during the Labor day weekend. I'm not a strongman and have never competed but after seeing the way the powerlifting competition was done here I thought it best if I took charge of this myself.

I'm currently in the brainstorming phase, the general intent is to have it span the Labor day weekend Fr-Sun with teams of 6 or 8. I'm leaning towards 6 myself

Here are my ideas so far feel:

Friday:
Humvee push:
Idea - team of 6, 3 sit inside while being pushed one way then switch after hitting distance marker
Criteria - For a set distance, time is the score

Weighted pullup:
Idea - Each individual on a team gets 3 tries with weight on a dip belt for a 1 rep maximum
Criteria - chin over the bar, Total weight for team is score

OH anyhow (press, push press, jerk)
Idea - Each team member gets 1 minute to get a bar overhead as many times as possible - Males 155#'s, females 65 #'s
Criteria - bar must come down and full extension to count - Total # of reps per team would be score

Saturday:
Medley Day, events are all completed back to back by all individuals in team individuals must complete 1 event before progressing to next
Farmers walk - 80# DB's for males, 40#DB's for females - Set distance
Tire flip - heavier tire for males, lighter tire for females - set distance
Stone carry - find big ass rock - set distance
Criteria - Total time would be the score for each team

Sunday:
Stone toss - Total distance tossed per team would be the score
400m Relay - Total time per team would be the score

Team Tug of war - Based on scores from all other events would be the basis of the bracket for the team tug of war

Total winner calculation:
This is the part I'm not sure how to do, would it be an average of the placings from all the events? How would this be done? Team X placed

What do you actually experienced strongmen think about these ideas? I'm trying to set it up so that it's challenging for most servicemembers but that it's not completely undoable either. Or should I lower the standards more to have a better entry rate? It's really just a morale boosting event while we are over here type of thing.

Any ideas or criticisms are welcome.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

I forgot to add nothing that is overly hard to do/setup. Limited in resources here as it is and less than a month to get everything coordinated...etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Kevin Shaughnessy
This message has been deleted by Kevin Shaughnessy.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
James Evans

For each event by team:

1st 10 points

2nd 8 points

3rd 6 points

4th 4 points

5th 2 points

6th 1 point

In an event, for example weighted pullups, total the best lift for each team member: 50kg + 35kg + 16kg and rank each team accordingly. For the team overheads, total reps. Any kind of race is easy to do 1st/2nd/3rd.

Anything more complicated (or bizarrely democratic) will be become murky like some alternative electoral system. 1st/2nd/3rd/DNF is the way forward.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

The weighted pull-up and 400m are kind of more Crossfit than strongman. I'd replace the pull-up with a deadlift or something, maybe an 18'' for reps since then you can really load up the weight (like 300# for the women). The 400m I'd drop entirely.

What kind of stone are you planning on tossing?

Also those farmer's walks are seriously light. At my last contest the women were doing 110#/hand with handles and we were flying (I actually tripped because I was taking such huge steps I hit the plate in front of me!).

You'll probably find using three people to push a Humvee will make it too light as well. A strongwoman contest at my gym last year had each woman pull a jeep 90' for time from a seated position. A 50-year-old lady was able to do it. Maybe have two people push? Or one person at a time, taking turns?

My recommendation is you test out these events before putting them in the contest.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Thanks, it's not so much a strongman thing anymore...as the good idea fairy has gotten along I'm lucky I can keep 3 events as is. The rest is a variety of things, like they wanted a team sport, so they added volleyball.

The humvee push needs to be tested, an up armor is about 6 tons, so not sure on a good distance on that with 4 people.

Tug of war, easy stuff.

Farmers walks were upped to 100 lbs and 50lbs for females and they will just be dumbbells, the farmers walk are part of of what I'm calling the strongman relay, it's rope climb, tire flip and farmers walk. 3 at the start point and 3 at the other end, they tag off as they finish a trip through.