Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Matt Morris

Default Duke Study

Hi all,

A Duke University Medical School Study has been in the news lately and I just finished reading the actual study.

It states that obese people who workout out aerobically at 75% of their perceived capacity lost more visceral and liver fat than those who did resistance training 3 x per week on non consecutive days.

The resistance training described in the study is as 8 exercises performed on Cybex stationary exercise equipment performing 3 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise. Weight was increased by 5 lbs every time a set of 12 was successfully completed w/ perfect form.

The study was conducted for 8 months with a short ramp up period to acclimate participants to the program.

My questions:
1) Would a different resistance training program (gymnastics based, Powerlifting based, Weightlifting based, etc) be able to produce the same results as the aerobic training used in the study (that was a combination of running, elliptical machine and hand cycle).

2) Is this study meaningful at all, given that it did not touch on diet?

I just sent this topic to Robb and Greg via the Paleo Solution Podcast and I'm crossing my fingers it makes its way into their eloquent and diplomatic comments.

Cheers!
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Morris View Post
Hi all,

A Duke University Medical School Study has been in the news lately and I just finished reading the actual study.

It states that obese people who workout out aerobically at 75% of their perceived capacity lost more visceral and liver fat than those who did resistance training 3 x per week on non consecutive days.

The resistance training described in the study is as 8 exercises performed on Cybex stationary exercise equipment performing 3 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise. Weight was increased by 5 lbs every time a set of 12 was successfully completed w/ perfect form.

The study was conducted for 8 months with a short ramp up period to acclimate participants to the program.

My questions:
1) Would a different resistance training program (gymnastics based, Powerlifting based, Weightlifting based, etc) be able to produce the same results as the aerobic training used in the study (that was a combination of running, elliptical machine and hand cycle).

2) Is this study meaningful at all, given that it did not touch on diet?

I just sent this topic to Robb and Greg via the Paleo Solution Podcast and I'm crossing my fingers it makes its way into their eloquent and diplomatic comments.

Cheers!
1) No

2) No
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote