Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #2781
Ben Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Bryan -- here's the short version:

1) Crossfit as a workout approach (meaning: mainsite and variants) creates an unnecessary amount of serious injury risk for the fitness benefit it creates
2) There are much better workout approaches for the target populations of
a) People just trying to get fit and
b) LEO
3) Crossfit as an organization is vile and engages is vicious character assassination (Dan John, Robb, Greg, Mark Twight, etc, etc.).
Excellent summary. If someone thinks this thread is overkill, fine. But to disagree with the conclusions above is a little weird.
Ben Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #2782
Clay Montero

Without them changing the 'structure' (lol) of their programming, I wonder how much the criticism of CrossFit would die down if they began to consistently include some warnings on the the mainpage for the riskier of their workouts.

A warning about not doing high-rep GHD unless it's something that you've progressed toward over time.

A warning about not doing jumping pull-ups or negatives for workouts that call for large numbers of them.

A warning about not doing large numbers of kipping pull-ups until you're strong enough to do X deadhangs.

etc.

Assuming they keep their workouts the same, are there any other warnings that you think they could post to reduce the risk of trainees having a SLAP tear or rupturing an achilles tendon?

(aside from the obvious jokes of "warning: don't do this workout")
Clay Montero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #2783
Shane Skowron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Montero View Post
Assuming they keep their workouts the same, are there any other warnings that you think they could post to reduce the risk of trainees having a SLAP tear or rupturing an achilles tendon?
Don't make your workouts competitive events. Don't go all-out on every workout.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #2784
Andrew Wilson
Banned

They have done the top two on a couple of occasions, not openly on the mainsite like you've mentioned, but occasionally someone like Bingo, or on an affiliate blog they'll post a warning. But somewhat they're just putting the cart before the horse, like you'll see an affiliate post a warning about GHDs on a GHD wod day, but someone legit would already have know who can do this, who can not to that, and a warning wouldn't be necessary being they're already be a plan in place. They've been warning about rhabdo for a very long time, and look where that is going hahaha. I think at this point they're just not fixable though, they've had their opportunities on a number of occasions to really progress and make positive adjustments, they didn't take it, I think at this point we should just sit back, drink beer, let them shoot themselves in the foot, and just enjoy the show.
And try to salvage as many people as possible away from it, should slip that in too.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #2785
David Hardy

This thread also contains some genuinely useful training advice and information about a number of different athletic pursuits, and is worth the while even without the lulz inducing crossfit stuff. This morning I knocked nearly 45 minutes off my marathon PB using a very straightforward program I found via one of Andrew's many links (granted my previous PB was pretty crap, but nevermind).
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #2786
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Amazing! Congratulations!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #2787
Corey Kissel

Can't say thanks enough for your continuing work Andrew! Still check on this forum on a regular basis. Your continued work goes beyond what I'm sure is publicly recognized here. Keep up the unparalleled efforts!!

Thanks for everything.
Corey Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #2788
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
Can't say thanks enough for your continuing work Andrew! Still check on this forum on a regular basis. Your continued work goes beyond what I'm sure is publicly recognized here. Keep up the unparalleled efforts!!

Thanks for everything.
Sssshhhh. Don't say that in public. That makes Bryan Kemper upset that there are people who agree with Andrew outside of this forum.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #2789
michael campi

Default Jake's Post

As regards Jake's post and having an "avatar of a black, naked, oiled body builder in a pink speedo.
One can not be naked and in a pink speedo at the same time.
I am going to have to insist on these things being corrected prior to being posted. It will not do to have people think of us as illiterate slobs.
michael campi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #2790
Andrew Wilson
Banned

So last night, I had a really good discussion with a few good friends of mine that are top quality coaches, and we had talked about this massive GPP movement, that there is tremendous desire in clients and coaches to really be this all around athlete, or gain all around fitness. We all know at this point with the last 280 pages of overkill that its not really being appropriately handled, that again, there's damage going on, and very little quality guidance and programming. But now that we have a pretty strong and consistant following on this thread, I want to move this discussion to you all.

As people obviously interested in fitness and athletic training, what are the problems that you all are pursuing to answer that you have not found yet?
What goals are you all pursuing?
And what information do you wish you had your hands on that you do not have?

That could either 1) achieve your goals at a higher quality and efficiency, or 2) achieve your goals and improve the quality of your coaching