Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #31
James Evans

Default Dan John on Litvinov

Steve has been spreading the love as I hoped he would and to be honest he knows far more on the subject than I think I ever will, unquestionably when it comes to the preparation of tight five forwards.

The main thing is to listen up, suck up and do what he tells you.

One thing I thought might be of interest is Dan's article on Litvinov. This method of training has been refered to a few times.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=983219

This is a fantastic read.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #32
Steve Shafley

Yeah, that whole deal with Dan's stuff is an ideal kind of exercise modality for rugby players. Lift + Sled Run, etc...very good stuff.

There's a whole lot that I wish I would have understood better back when I was playing, but it all boils down to using high effort, high 'intensity', lower duration conditioning modalities for the sport coupled with smart weight training. The Livitinov stuff encompasses both, really.

Looking back, I had the weight training part down pretty well, and was heading more and more towards the other stuff. I would say I wasted a lot of training time with moderate distance running to "get in shape" when I could have used it doing hill sprints, running high speed ball drills, and stuff like that.

Thanks for the compliments, James. Right back at you. Your perspectives have given me a lot of things to think about.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #33
Will Heffernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Yeah, that whole deal with Dan's stuff is an ideal kind of exercise modality for rugby players. Lift + Sled Run, etc...very good stuff.
I thought Poliquin invented that? Maybe not...thank the Lord for Dan John...quite literally...as I think Dan has been on the Lords payroll for years now.
Quote:
There's a whole lot that I wish I would have understood better back when I was playing, but it all boils down to using high effort, high 'intensity', lower duration conditioning modalities for the sport coupled with smart weight training. The Livitinov stuff encompasses both, really.
It isn't too late to make a comeback Shaf? I thought I saw somewhere else on here that you someone wrote you a program that'll have you doing 30 chins in 6 weeks or something like that...once you get that boxed off...throw yourself into pre season work and you'll be good to go.
Quote:
Looking back, I had the weight training part down pretty well, and was heading more and more towards the other stuff. I would say I wasted a lot of training time with moderate distance running to "get in shape" when I could have used it doing hill sprints, running high speed ball drills, and stuff like that.
If only you hadn't of wasted your time 'getting in shape'.
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, James. Right back at you. Your perspectives have given me a lot of things to think about.
I think you are the best as well Shaf.
Will Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #34
Steve Shafley

Hey, Will. Welcome to the PMenu.

Maybe a quick intro would let other folks know who you are and where you are coming from, before really tucking in.

I met Will in Utah when I visited Dan John.

Will does work pretty extensively with rugby, soccer, and gaelic football players, if I recall things correctly. Professionally.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #35
Robb Wolf

Will-
If you know Dan, Shaf and the rest of those folks you are obviously an unsavory character. Welcome, you are among friends.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #36
Steve Shafley

BLACK THURSDAY.

Unsavory.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #37
Randy Little

Default update

Ok gang, I thought I would post a quick update on progress so far.

The squats I have been rotating have been an overhead and a single leg, and the overheads are Killers. I have never done them before, and they just wipe me out totally, I started with the bar and was falling out all over the place. But today I did 3*6 with about 65 lbs on the,m and it worked out well. What is amazing is the concentration required, you cannot lean any direction at all or guess what, the bar is on the floor. The Single Legs are worthwhile, my legs feel very good right now.

I have been doing hang cleans as an explosive move, what a great lift. And the Rows have solidified my back. The good mornings are coming along, and I have been working on the Tivalis exercises for my ankles and I have been doing double leg calf lifts with little weight as a stretching movement.

I have not been running at all because of a stress fracutre in my ankle, but that will end next week and I will start working on some hill sprints and touch rugby.
Randy Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #38
James Evans

Default Good Web Resource

Some good stuff here:

http://www.getstrength.com/articles.asp

Canterbury Crusaders have been the dominant side in the Super 12 (and now Super 14) competition. The final was contested by two South African sides this year though.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #39
Randy Little

Default update

Everything is going fine, I am going to start the running portion of the workouts this week.

James,

Check out the quote below, I think you will like it..

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Randy Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #40
Steve Shafley

Just a quick note. I've done a 180 and come right back to thinking that maintaining an aerobic base is necessary for a rugby player, even in the off season.

I'm discussing rugby training with a few folks and this thread came up.