Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #2791
Arien Malec

Andrew -- I'd suggest the question is a bit misplaced. For people who have sports-related goals, the answer should be sports specific.

But Crossfit has exposed that lots of people just want to get fit (where "getting fit" is defined as "feeling better, moving better, looking better"). Crossfit has also exposed that, for many such people, "getting fit" can be a gateway to actual sports performance (witness the impact that Crossfit has on masters WL, for instance). I'd further note that Crossfit has been brilliant at making the actual activity fun and engaging.

So I'd ask the question: given that I want to feel and look awesome, and have fun doing so, what's the best way for me to achieve that goal?
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #2792
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Great suggestion. My trail of thought the last few years has been that there has been too much separation between sports science and general fitness.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #2793
Shane Skowron

I like this little dig from the NY article:

Quote:
Pushing people so hard that they risk rhabdomyolysis — a condition brought on when severely damaged muscle tissue releases toxins into the bloodstream —“is a tremendous failure,” Ms. Twight said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/fa...ysicality.html
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #2794
Tamara Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
For people who have sports-related goals, the answer should be sports specific.

Crossfit has also exposed that, for many such people, "getting fit" can be a gateway to actual sports performance (witness the impact that Crossfit has on masters WL, for instance).
Well, regarding sports specific issues and goals, since this is technically a weightlifting forum and not just a CrossFit bashing forum, I would point to Arien's points above.

I decided to leave CrossFit and pursue weightlifting.

Problem. The closest weightlifting coach is 140 miles away from me.

So, what did I do? I commuted 4.5 hours round trip every week for 10 months in order to train with him. I only did that because I COULD. It's not feasible for everyone.

And, it's not feasible for me for the long term either. This is why I now own my own gym. I couldn't do what I needed to do to train at the two local CF affiliates nor was I interested in continuing to train at a CF affiliate.

So, what happens? I, as a new weightlifter and a new coach, end up with my own gym. And, I'm fine with that for a lot of reasons. It gives me the flexibility to train whenever I need to train. And, it gives the CrossFitters who are either ready to move onto something else or just generally sick of bullshit and/or $190 a month memberships another option for training. But, it's by default because in a perfect world, there would be a more experienced weightlifting coach right around the corner, and I could spend more time coaching under that person before opening my own place.

It is what it is. My goal is to grow the sport of weightlifting. My USAW club is 6 months old. I have 11 members, 6 of whom have already competed at sanctioned meets, plus a good group of people who drop in (mainly CrossFitters) without being members. If my gym didn't exist, there wouldn't be an active USAW club in Western North Carolina.

But, for some people, I guess that option would be better since I get so much shit for opening a gym without "qualifications." I've done as much as possible to become a better coach in the last year. I've gone to every seminar possible. I've gone to train with as many coaches as possible. I've competed in as many meets as possible. My lifters have competed in as many meets as possible. In any other sport, developmental coaches are welcomed. This is what has to happen in weightlifting. I mean, really? Who are we kidding? USAW has 7000 members and only 4000 or so are lifters. USA Swimming has 300000 members. We should be doing everything we can to get any CrossFitter who is remotely serious about weightlifting to get involved in the sport, even if it is just by doing a single sanctioned meet.

So, Andrew, this is something to think about from my perspective. Once people are done training like idiots or are done coaching like idiots, and they are ready to move onto something else, how do we support that? Where do they even go to train?
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #2795
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
So, Andrew, this is something to think about from my perspective. Once people are done training like idiots or are done coaching like idiots, and they are ready to move onto something else, how do we support that? Where do they even go to train?
Yeah and exactly that was mentioned in discussion, and its something that I think is missing in the States, outside there's typically multi sport athletic clubs. But I think it all comes down to information. There is very limited information out there, or at least shared. I think if there is a reservoir of quality information, quality methods, quality experience coaching, that is where they go.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #2796
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Yeah and exactly that was mentioned in discussion, and its something that I think is missing in the States, outside there's typically multi sport athletic clubs. But I think it all comes down to information. There is very limited information out there, or at least shared. I think if there is a reservoir of quality information, quality methods, quality experience coaching, that is where they go.
Andrew, the disconnect between the public and exercise science isn't unique to exercise science. It's ubiquitous to a varying extent with all forms of academia. Too bad exercise science doesn't have something like the National Institutes of Health in the U.S. though to fund, train, and employ researchers.

IMO, communicating to the public the importance and relevance of science is an essential skill to develop.

Have you thought of starting a website to disseminate information to the public? I like what Joel is doing with recruiting those knowledgeable in both the science and application of exercise/training.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #2797
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kissel View Post
Just another gem I came across...WFS

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18534215
I guess he should've focused his training on injury prevention instead of CF.

Quote:
Moreno injures hamstring: Well the gimpy hamstring of Knowshon Moreno is replacing Fred Taylor‘s troublesome groin as the bane of the fantasy football injury report. Seriously, he hurt his hamstring again? The Broncos already said they were going to play the “hot hand” at running back this season, but now it looks like Willis McGahee could be in line for more attempts … which is just wonderful. (Yes, I was being facetious.)
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/13/thre...-moreno-lloyd/
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #2798
Andrew Wilson
Banned

And there it is, hamstring injuries, usually stem from hip flexor flexibility and firing collaboration right?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2799
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Have you thought of starting a website to disseminate information to the public? I like what Joel is doing with recruiting those knowledgeable in both the science and application of exercise/training.
I think Mel though pretty much had it covered http://groups.google.com/group/siff-archive/topics. Its amazing these go as far back to 2000, and are still relevant today.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #2800
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
I think Mel though pretty much had it covered http://groups.google.com/group/siff-archive/topics. Its amazing these go as far back to 2000, and are still relevant today.
The only people who read that stuff are exercise science junkies or exercise science wannabes.

I bet Siff's weekend camps were great for disseminating solid info, but I was too young to have known about it back then.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote