Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Casey Lech

Question Is this dumb programming...?

I am looking for advice on my programming. I train for pure enjoyment towards obtaining an above average physique.

My diet is in check, paleo/primal/leangains IFing.
I feel good, look good and perform steadily better each session.
So, I have decided to get more serious and really start focusing on body comp. I am currently F/29/5'8"/138#.

I have been doing this each week, for the past 4 weeks: I rest 3 minutes between sets and 5 mins. between each set of movements.

Monday-
Deadlift (3 sets, 5-7 reps, reverse pyramid style.)
Front Squat (same as deads) OR Good Mornings
Weighted chins (same as deads)
Calf Raises (10x10)

Wednesday-
Bench Press (3 sets, 5-7 reps, reverse pyramid)
Close Grip Bench (3x5)
Pull Ups (bodyweight, 3 sets, max reps)
short couplet/triplet metcon @ 75-85% intensity.

Friday-
Back Squat (3 sets, 5-7 reps, reverse pyramid)
Walking Lunges (same as squat)
Push Press (same as squat)

Since I am not training sport specific, or for strength alone, my question is this:
Would it be effective to keep my training days exactly as they are laid out for the major movements, but change the rep schemes each week to vary the type of training?
For example:

Week 1, Monday may look like what I have been doing.
Whereas, week 2 I would alter the rep scheme to be 3 sets of 10 w/ 60s. rest between sets.
Week 3 may be 5x5 using a set weight across, 3 mins rest
Week 4 may be 3x5, 1-3 minutes rest.

I like the variation of Crossfit, but not the element of constant ass whoop intensity. Also, I prefer heavy barbell work over met cons. However, I understand how I could benefit from incorporating elements of metcons, smartly.
In addition, I love bodyweight movements and gymnastics work... because its fun!
So, if there is some way to keep a monotonous routine of specific movements (ex. deadlift, squat, lunge, etc..) but vary the intensity and rest periods... i would love to do it.

(I hope I am not being blind to something obvious and a program like this exists, but I train alone and have no pals to get feedback from. Therefore I brought my question here.)

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any advice or input is appreciated!
Casey Lech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Why mess with what is currently working for you?

Also, in terms of programming a push/pull system of 2 days each of push/pull (for 4 days a week) would probably be better than a more lower/upper/lower ish (at 3 days a week) kinda split you got going there.

Don't introduce a lot of fancy concepts when you're aiming to make improvements. EIther go for increases in weight, alter rest times, increase reps, increase sets, etc. -- just pick one variable to change. If you change too many you don't know what is improving substantially and that doesn't help you with learning how to program effectively. It just teaches you to throw crap against the wall and see what sticks.

I think you need to define your goals a bit better. It's OK to have aesthetic goals.... but if you have any type of performance goals, or bodyweight goals, or whatever goals you think can make your routines better than you should definitely create goals around that. THat would make it much easier to direct your routine towards something you want to do.

And of course, if you are interesting in bodyweight/gymnastics I have to plug my new book. You can check it out here:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=6415
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

Casey- The past 4 weeks you have been doing this program what has your weights been like? Do you do the same weights in each exercise each week? Do you increase a little each week? Do you just go as heavy as you can every day?

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Casey Lech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Why mess with what is currently working for you?

Also, in terms of programming a push/pull system of 2 days each of push/pull (for 4 days a week) would probably be better than a more lower/upper/lower ish (at 3 days a week) kinda split you got going there.

Don't introduce a lot of fancy concepts when you're aiming to make improvements. EIther go for increases in weight, alter rest times, increase reps, increase sets, etc. -- just pick one variable to change. If you change too many you don't know what is improving substantially and that doesn't help you with learning how to program effectively. It just teaches you to throw crap against the wall and see what sticks.

I think you need to define your goals a bit better. It's OK to have aesthetic goals.... but if you have any type of performance goals, or bodyweight goals, or whatever goals you think can make your routines better than you should definitely create goals around that. THat would make it much easier to direct your routine towards something you want to do.

And of course, if you are interesting in bodyweight/gymnastics I have to plug my new book. You can check it out here:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=6415
Steven- Thanks for your insight! I love the idea of a push/pull scenerio. I went with a basic template from the Leangains website and that is where my original programming came from. I do however need to come up with more concrete goals, i agree. But, without belonging to a team, or training for some type of competition, setting goals is harder than I imagined! I will check out your book. thanks again!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Casey Lech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Anaya Everett View Post
Casey- The past 4 weeks you have been doing this program what has your weights been like? Do you do the same weights in each exercise each week? Do you increase a little each week? Do you just go as heavy as you can every day?
Aimee-
this is what my last back squat, lunge, push press day looked like:
B.Squat- 3x5-7(reverse pyramid) I did three warm up sets and used 105# for my top workset, decreasing the weight for the next 2 sets by 10% each while upping the reps. My back squat numbers should be much higher for my height/weight ratios I think, but my legs were VERY weak just 8months ago when I couldnt even squat an empty bar for 10 consecutive reps. :/ So, I am coming along slowly! I would like to say my max squat is probably 140-50x1. I havent tested it recently.

Walking Lunge- 3x5-7 (RPS) 85#x5, 75#x6, 70#x7. These weights were the same as the previous week. I did close the gap on sets 2 and 3 by 5# though. Last weeks 3rd set was only 65#.

Push Press- 3x5-7(RPS) 85#x5, 80#x6, 75#x7 The previous week was 80#, 75#, 70#.

Overall, I try to increase the weight each week while maintaining proper form & doing each set at a steady pace. When I am able to do all 3 sets like this, I will try adding 5# to the top set the following week and dropping the 2 & 3 sets by 10%. If I struggle with the top set, I will keep the weight the same but add weight to the 2&3 sets.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

I think as Steven says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If this seems to be working for you then I would continue on. I would recommend going strong for 3-4 weeks, then taking a back off-week (where you back off significantly... down to 60ish%), then going of for another 3 weeks, testing new maxes on week 4. After this roughly 9-10 weeks, I would suggest switching it up a little and adding some new exercises... maybe power cleans or power snatches or muscle snatches. Maybe some dumbbell work. Front squats, etc.

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Casey Lech

Thanks for the advice, I will stick with it and see where things end up! I appreciate the help.