Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Marcus Herou

Default Keep the ass down!

I am pretty posteriour chain dominant (DL 232,5 vs BS 160) so I think that is the reason why I tend to raise my ass in the first pull but I might be wrong.

In combination with soft arms in the lockout this is really starting to piss me off since the weight is "light" physically.

My max is 95kg but I miss 90kg so often.

Recent 93kg miss (4 misses in a row):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stc8liMsK_0

A few months ago 96-100-100-100-96 before I realised that the ass raising was a big issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78tC365BAg

This is 90kg in a Hang Power Snatch. I am sorry to say that I am doing it differently since I am swinging with straight arms but the point is that I really should be able to _always_ nail 90kg in a full snatch since it is physically so easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hrW9jNOUs

Q1: How can I work long term towards holding my ass down ?

Q2: How do one reduce the soft arm problem in the lockout ?

Thanks in advance
Marcus Herou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Arien Malec

I've had the same problems. For Q1, I'd recommend pausing at the knee (patellar tendon) and fixing my position, and working the same position down from the top, until the right position at the knee, and the movement from the floor to the knee are fixed in body memory.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Bryan Boorstein

I'm sure the experts will have more to say, so take this with a grain of salt... but here are my thoughts:

1. You are losing lumbar (shoulders caving over) as well as ass flying up. All of this is what is causing the bar to swing out and around making the catch difficult. Make sure you lock your back in place before the start. I like to think of the analogy of trying pinch a pencil between my shoulder blades and trying to maintain that pencil the entire time. If the back rounds over, the pencil will slip out...

2. "soft" lockout - be aggressive. As soon as you finish the 2nd pull, you need to be driving yourself under the bar and applying constant pressure upwards against the bar. Think "punch up" and lock your elbows immediately. Snatch Balance should also help your confidence with this. The catch will also be easier once the bar path isn't as rounded, as you will have more control.

3. It may help to practice halting snatch-grip deadlifts at different points. For example, to help with this issue, I had my clients today doing these with a 3 sec pause below the knee and then above the knee at the mid hang. The idea here is to make sure that your body is hitting the correct positions at each stop. Where is your butt? Where is your chest? Do you have tension in your hamstrings? Is the tension shifting from the front/middle of the foot towards the heel as you drive the knees back? Stopping at these points and assessing your positioning will allow you to determine where the movement is breaking down and then reinforce good habits and muscle memory.

As I said, I am no expert... just try to learn as much as I can and help when I can.

These things mentioned above have helped my clients who have the same issues. I work with crossfitters, but I'm sure the o-lifting community will have a more explicit approach. I'm curious to hear the feedback of the others, and see if I'm offering sound advice.

Bryan
Bryan Boorstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

Bryan had some good observations.

Here are a few tips.

You need to get in your start position and pause for a second. Make sure you...
-have your weight back on your heels, not the balls of your feet.
-have your knees flaired so that your hips can sit in a bit more- get that butt down a tad.
- get your chest up/shoulders back- part of the problem is you are looking down at the floor, you want to look straight ahead. Arch that lower back.
- you are shooting your butt up right away which is changing your back angle so that you are completely over the bar, and your legs are straightening, which is causing the bar to full you forward, which is causing you bar to swing around. See attached picture with your position compared to the other picture. Your legs are nearly straight, your back is a tad rounded, and your shoulders are facing the floor, rather than being back.

When leaving the ground you want to try to drive through the heels and lead with the chest. This will help keep that back angle the same off the floor, as well as keep that bar close.

So there are a lot of technical things going on that will likely be corrected if you adjust a couple things, so my immediate advice would be to REALLY REALLY REALLY focus on (then you can work on this and post a new video):
Getting a good start position (also see pictures I will post in follow up post below), with your weight on your heels, shoulders back, looking straight ahead, nice set back.
Leaving the ground by driving through your heals, pushing through the floor, and leading with your chest not butt. Keep that bar nice and close... it should move right up along your thighs up to your hips before pulling under the bar.

Screen shot 2011-11-30 at 11.13.42 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2011-11-30 at 11.20.58 AM.jpg

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

Start position comparisons.

You have longer legs then the athlete shown in this picture, so your start position will not be exactly the same, but I wanted you to see how her butt was down because her hips are sitting in, her back is nicely set, and her shoulders are back and she is looking straight forward.

Screen shot 2011-11-30 at 11.24.50 AM.jpg

start.jpg

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Marcus Herou

Thanks so much for your tips! Most appreciated. Segment DL:s gonna go right into the programming.

This shit especially happens when the weight gets "heavy" and when I want to be aggressive. I am aggressive from the floor which is an issue.

Gonna consume your advice and reprogram.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Marcus Herou
This message has been deleted by Marcus Herou.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Marcus Herou
This message has been deleted by Marcus Herou.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Marcus Herou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Anaya Everett View Post
Bryan had some good observations.

Here are a few tips.

You need to get in your start position and pause for a second. Make sure you...
-have your weight back on your heels, not the balls of your feet.
-have your knees flaired so that your hips can sit in a bit more- get that butt down a tad.
- get your chest up/shoulders back- part of the problem is you are looking down at the floor, you want to look straight ahead. Arch that lower back.
- you are shooting your butt up right away which is changing your back angle so that you are completely over the bar, and your legs are straightening, which is causing the bar to full you forward, which is causing you bar to swing around. See attached picture with your position compared to the other picture. Your legs are nearly straight, your back is a tad rounded, and your shoulders are facing the floor, rather than being back.

When leaving the ground you want to try to drive through the heels and lead with the chest. This will help keep that back angle the same off the floor, as well as keep that bar close.

So there are a lot of technical things going on that will likely be corrected if you adjust a couple things, so my immediate advice would be to REALLY REALLY REALLY focus on (then you can work on this and post a new video):
Getting a good start position (also see pictures I will post in follow up post below), with your weight on your heels, shoulders back, looking straight ahead, nice set back.
Leaving the ground by driving through your heals, pushing through the floor, and leading with your chest not butt. Keep that bar nice and close... it should move right up along your thighs up to your hips before pulling under the bar.

Attachment 431

Attachment 432
I could not help myself. Needed to start working it asap.

Something like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xr8jGP1AYQ
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

Those are MUCH better positions. HOWEVER. Don't keep your feet stuck to the ground. In order to reach full extension you need to get up! Like if you were going to do a vertical jump... you wouldn't keep your feet on the floor, you would get ankle extension! Practice a couple vertical jumps... your ankles will automatically extend! Also, at he top of your pull you are throwing your head back so forcefully and so much that it is taking away from the beautiful extension you are looking to accomplish!! Keep your focus straight ahead throughout the whole lift and do NOT throw your head back. I can't even see you behind those plates!

110321-audraPull.jpg

Screen shot 2011-12-05 at 1.08.11 PM.jpg

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Marcus Herou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Anaya Everett View Post
Those are MUCH better positions. HOWEVER. Don't keep your feet stuck to the ground. In order to reach full extension you need to get up! Like if you were going to do a vertical jump... you wouldn't keep your feet on the floor, you would get ankle extension! Practice a couple vertical jumps... your ankles will automatically extend! Also, at he top of your pull you are throwing your head back so forcefully and so much that it is taking away from the beautiful extension you are looking to accomplish!! Keep your focus straight ahead throughout the whole lift and do NOT throw your head back. I can't even see you behind those plates!

Attachment 437

Attachment 438
Thanks Aimee. I am working with the first pull with various intensity and volume five days a week now.

This weight was too tough, I just wanted to see if I could keep the positions with a 100kg. The neck throw is nothing I normally do, but I needed to do something or the weight would have been stuck in the pocket I will do the segment pulls at about 70-80kg instead and Halting DLs to knee at about 100-110kg.

I have widened my stance since this lift and suddenly I do not feel so damn uncomfortable in the start. I have my feet slightly wider than shoulder width and feet turned out.

Yesterdays Max session, still missing 95kg but I could maintain the back which was the main purpose of the session. I need to squat a little more I think and maybe retract the shoulder blades just a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL3e_81Qu7M