Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Jeff Bonn

Default Couch to Platform

As much as I'd like to claim otherwise I've been out of training for anything for a while, effectively 1year+, and I've decided to participate in an O-lifting meet in May.

My goals: 1) Don't get injured. 2) Show up and participate. Post competition I want to continue to improve my o-lifting.

I'm about 110kg body weight (6'3") and the lowest weights lifted at this meet (at the 105+kg class) were well in excess of anything I've done ever.

Given my (transient) state of weak fatassitude does this seem like extreme folly?

Assuming not I've got some training approach questions (bear with me I'm building up to some questions).

Limitations I see:
  • T-Spine mobility: elbows drop in the front squat and OHS feels unbalanced
  • Shoulder mobility: dislocates make my pecs squawk pretty loudly
  • Shoulder stability: I've had some subluxation (room to move) in the shoulder so I feel I really need to work on my OH stability
  • Clean Receiving Pos: I tend to receive with the feet too wide and feel the knees roll inward some. I think this is compensation for lack of mobility as it makes it easier to get lower. Haven't felt comfortable trying to snatch at depth so just power snatched some light weight.
  • Hip mobility: Loss of lumbar curve in deep squats

Ok with that preamble here are some questions.
  • Should I be going at the lifts or doing more accesory work? (SNA & C&J or squats and deadlifts)
  • Since I'm working with light weights (currently ~105lb in the C&J) full or even partial depth snatches or C&J's feel very unnatural as opposed to power lifts. I've read that newbies should not power and should just do full depth lifts, which is correct?
  • Any additional thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Matt Morris

a few questions...
1) where are you (and is there a coach nearby)?
2) how old are you?
3) what is your training background (have you done the lifts before?)
4) how much time do you have to devote to this?
5) how is your recovery and nutrition?

best of luck!
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Jeff Bonn

Matt,

1) There is coaching available, in fact the gym where the event is being held is sending Sarah Robles to the olympics in London. That said my schedule and budget don't leave much room at the moment, though I do hope to see that improve in the next few months.

2) I'm 32

3) I've done some Crossfit but it got too expensive and didn't keep up with it on my own. I've never been an "athlete" other than some highschool track and field.

4) I've probably got 4 or 5 hours a week to train.

5) I make time most every night to roll and stretch and try to get 8-9 hours a night. I strive to eat paleo but I'm not as compliant as I'd like to be.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 03-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Jeff Bonn

Progress so far. I've got a lot to work on, but I think I know what those things are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmyhsbGCmHo
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Blair Lowe

How much work have ya done from the knee or hang?

Need to set your back more from the start. Too round.

Grip looks narrow in snatch, I'm not sure on that.

I split jerk and always have so push jerk is some tin I find weird. More knowledgeable people know better than I on that.
Bar seems too far away in the positions of the lift.

I lifted in shorts today, but I really wish my sweats had been dry. Won't have that problem on Wednesday. I don't have long socks.

Are those lifting shoes? I finally bought a pai since they are required to compete. I figure a singlet will be much cheaper and I might as well make the investment now and throw down the cash while I have extra dough.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Matt Morris

Jeff,
Sorry its been a while since I got back to you. You're clearly stronger than the loads your lifting, that's a good thing for starters. Next, I think it looks like you have a good "punch" on your lock outs on both your snatch and Jerk.

Do you have a competition that you're looking to compete in, or just interested in getting to one eventually? If you have a bunch of time, then I would take it pretty slow. Start with focusing on getting your back really tight in the start position, and keeping your back angle the same as you begin your pull. Fixing these things will improve your lifts quite a bit by improving your power transfer and bar path.

In addition to that, spend time foam rolling your thoracic spine and do front squats to improve your rack position by ACTIVELY forcing your elbows up and keeping your chest nice and high.

Post video of said front squat, btw...

Next get weightlifting shoes, you might not need to wear a singlet at a meet, so find that out before you buy one. Try to drop in on classes at the local weightlifting club if you can, partly for the coaching, and partly for the access to the better bar and bumpers...lifting is quite different with those.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Jeff Bonn

Thanks Matt and Blair for the responses.

Those are not lifting shoes, but I toss my orthotics (hard thick plastic) in them when I lift which raises the heel and makes them a little "harder".

I hope to compete in an event (Grand Canyon State Games) here in May. To that I end I just want to show up and lift something. I don't care if I'm lifting with the 12 year olds.

I attempted to lift again yesterday and had the idea that I would go out and warm up to snatch 115lb and really try to get my recieving position much lower. I never made it to 115lb. I missed at 85lb (after some ugliness at 65lb) and the bar collided with my leg just above the ankle on our collective way to the floor. The small diameter iron plates don't leave much room for body parts. Fortunately nothing more than some minor bruising on the outside.

My brain cavity was a bit more shaken however. I decided that my bottom position was just a mess and needed some focused work so I spent the rest of my time doing slow, deliberate, and light (45lb) OHS, Fsquats, and presses.

I found a group at a local crossfit affiliate that are going to train for the above mentioned event starting next week. I worked a deal to train in trade for some of my time so it's in the budget!

In prep for that I decided to focus on light weight moderate rep OHS, front squats, and presses daily for the rest of the week. My intention is to reinforce some good bottom position behaviour and help get the t-spine straightened out some. I'll post some video of that later this week.

thanks again!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Matt Morris

Sounds like a good plan. Its a good idea to learn how to bail on a lift...just get away from the bar. Glad you're ok.

I would add a full squat (either OHS for snatch or front squat for clean) with each rep. No matter where you catch it, ride it down to finish each lift.

Cheers!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bonn View Post
Thanks Matt and Blair for the responses.

Those are not lifting shoes, but I toss my orthotics (hard thick plastic) in them when I lift which raises the heel and makes them a little "harder".

I hope to compete in an event (Grand Canyon State Games) here in May. To that I end I just want to show up and lift something. I don't care if I'm lifting with the 12 year olds.

I attempted to lift again yesterday and had the idea that I would go out and warm up to snatch 115lb and really try to get my recieving position much lower. I never made it to 115lb. I missed at 85lb (after some ugliness at 65lb) and the bar collided with my leg just above the ankle on our collective way to the floor. The small diameter iron plates don't leave much room for body parts. Fortunately nothing more than some minor bruising on the outside.

My brain cavity was a bit more shaken however. I decided that my bottom position was just a mess and needed some focused work so I spent the rest of my time doing slow, deliberate, and light (45lb) OHS, Fsquats, and presses.

I found a group at a local crossfit affiliate that are going to train for the above mentioned event starting next week. I worked a deal to train in trade for some of my time so it's in the budget!

In prep for that I decided to focus on light weight moderate rep OHS, front squats, and presses daily for the rest of the week. My intention is to reinforce some good bottom position behaviour and help get the t-spine straightened out some. I'll post some video of that later this week.

thanks again!
Were you the guy that stopped by East Valley Crossfit??
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Jeff Bonn

No, I'm actually working out of Gilbert Crossfit.

If you are in the valley I run a startup magazine centered around functional fitness.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Valley...86002684774468

Please check out our first two issues:
http://www.valleyfunctionalfitness.c.../VFFIssue1.pdf
http://www.valleyfunctionalfitness.c.../VFFIssue2.pdf

We're looking for contributors and advertisers (ad rates are low right now, only $25 for a half page ad) if you're interested.

Thanks,
Jeff
ValleyFunctionalFitness@gmail.com