Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Anton Emery

Cool, wish I had time to train that much. With the day job and wanting to do other things too I have been rolling 2-3x a week and doing strength work twice a week. The grappling is usually some form of judo or jits class. For strength work its just been the two day a week 5 3 1 template. Squats and bench on one day, Deadlifts and Press on another. Ill also throw in some assistance work in the form of chins and dips usually after the main lifts. I do these workouts before jits class, that way I dont have to go somewhere after work every night of the week. The lifting does not seem to affect jits afterwards, though sometimes a heavy deadlift session is taxing, so I will move it to a non grappling day.

Its not the most exciting program but it keeps me steadily building strength, perhaps a bit of muscle mass, and leaves me plenty of time for grappling.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
Yael Grauer

I am actually thinking of doing 4 days a week instead of 6. We are going to be doing intermediate classes, so I want to double up on beginner and intermediate 2X/week, and 2X of advanced and/or open mat is probably enough. Save me 2 hours of driving, allow me to cook dinner during the week, etc.

I want to figure out what to do during the 3 other days; one or two strength days I'm thinking.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Derek Simonds

I am really late to the party. I really like Chad Smiths Juggernaut program. I am slowly working my way back into that program and will use it to prepare for my next tournament.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Anton Emery

I am going to switch gears and emphasize more conditioning for 8 weeks or so. Ill probably keep in one strength day a week but I never feel strength is my shortcoming when rolling. I just get tired and gas. I need more mat time and some extra conditioning/strength endurance work when I can.

I was doing two day a week Wendler 5 3 1 before jits practice. It was going well but I am sort of burned out on low rep heavy lifting at the moment. It will be nice to do some higher rep stuff plus conditioning work.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Yael Grauer

So I feel like it's hard for me to follow programs outside of BJJ because BJJ is so dictated-to-me, like my coach tells me what warmups to do, what drills to do, who to work with and for how long, etc. Also, since I'm doing so many technique classes and not allowed in advanced yet, I'm not going to compete anytime soon.

For the next month or so I'm just going to mess around with lifts when I feel like it, I guess, and trying to meet some overall strength goals. But I don't want to do too high of weights and kill my legs or anything... Cressey had a good post recently which I linked to on lower body lifts to do in-season which I may look at.