Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
Yael Grauer

Went to the intermediate class today and we worked on three Z-guard pass variations.

So my coach really doesn't want me to do advanced classes yet. I kind of get it because they just added intermediate, and I think he wants me to go through the curriculum the way it is intended, which is fundamentals for up to 3 stripes, intermediate until 4 stripes or blue, then advanced. Our blue and purple belts are excited about intermediate, and it's not exactly 101 material, and even though I want to roll more I trust my coach. And he wants me to do both (2) intermediate classes, 1 open mat and 2 fundamental classes. I told him I only wanted to do 1 fundamental class, and he said that was fine.

So my schedule looks like this:

Mon: Intermediate
Tues: Weights 1
Wed: Intermediate
Thurs: Fundamentals, Weights 2
Fri: Weights 3
Sat: open mat
Sun: off
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
Yael Grauer

So I had to get my hair cut at this place right by the co-op and by my gym, and my haircut was at 1... then I was going to get a bite to eat at the co-op and do some work on my laptop, and then go to the gym. But man, my hair guy decided he wanted to spend an extra hour straightening my hair... plus I decided I don't want read hair anymore so he dyed back to a color that would match my natural hair color so I won't have to come in once my roots grow back. So I was at the hair place for like 2.5 hours. So then I got lunch at the co-op and went to the box gym and the drove home and then immediately had to get my gi on to go to fundamentals.

Workout #1:

warmup--2 minute row

3 X 9 triangle lunges per side. So I wasn't sure whether each set of triangle lunges (1 forward, one at an angle and one lateral) counted as just 1, but assumed it did. So that's like 3 sets of 54 lunges. I did 15, 10 and 10 lbs.

3 X 12 single-leg db deadlift per side--again this is 216 total lifts, so I did 15, 10 and 15 lbs.

2 X AMRAP pistol squats. I did 4 but they were only partial; I didn't get all the way down and had assistance available if necessary

3 X AMRAP ab rollout on a Swiss ball; I did about 10 per time

3 X AMRAP plank, I did 77 seconds, 77 with 5 lbs and 46 with 10 lbs. I feel weird putting weight on my back, but anything over 60 seconds means I need more, I think.

So then I went to fundamentals in BJJ, and we worked on 2 different takedowns off a defended single leg and three different escape variations from side control.

It was a good class but I think I need to be honest with myself about jiu-jitsu and stop treating it as a real workout, because it's really not. It's sort of like jogging for ten minutes and then doing yoga for 40 minutes, and then some body-weight work for another 10. I mean, I'm learning a lot but I don't think that running in circles around the mat, doing a few shrimping and cartwheel drills, doing 30 takedowns or throws and then drilling some techniques (with a lot of trial and error) and maybe 5-10 minutes of positional drills counts as a workout. So I guess that means I need to do more metcon in addition to weights outside of the gym, and just chalk BJJ up to a hobby for now.

In other news, I really need to make myself eat more.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
Yael Grauer

As expected, my hammies are hammered and I'm in no shape to go to the gym after the 500 zillion lunges I did yesterday. So taking today off.

Tomorrow I have open mat in the AM and have to work in the evening, so workout #3 will have to be in the afternoon or on Sunday. Though actually now that I look at it, workout 3 is all dumbbell exercises anyway (db snatch, vert. thruster, iron cross, renegade rows, T-pushups), so I could do it in my basement. Except the t-pushups would be hard with the type of dbs I have.

I'm leaving town for 8 days next Wednesday for the ASJA conference, and trying to decide what to do about week 2 workouts.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #34
Yael Grauer

Went to open mat this morning, and I got a ton of rolls. Probably about 10 total with 8 different guys. Good times.

I'm still annoyed with my game because my guard and half guard passes and side control are good, knee on belly is solid, I have a decent mount, and I have a good armdrag to back take... but my guard and escapes from bottom still suck.

People keep telling me to fake x-chokes and go for armbars, but I hate trying to go for armbars from guard; I just want to sweep and get on top rather than risk getting stack-passed. It's a conversation I'm tired of having with tall people. I've been wanting to model my game after Emily Kwok's, and I don't think her go-to move is to go for armbars and get stack-passed. LOL.

I've been playing almost all butterfly guard and working my butterfly sweep, along with some sweeps from when people stand, but people are onto it so I need to look at other options, too. It's just annoying to feel like I'm not developing my game holistically, though.

Anyway, my legs are still wrecked so I'll lift weights tomorrow or Monday. Leaving town Wed. and just been struggling to get things taken care of before I go.

I'm doing way better on making myself eat more, and trying hard to not skip breakfast. My biggest issue right now is that I have to stay up too late to edit for Sherdog on weekends, and my circadian clock is all sorts of messed up. Some days I sleep 10 hours, some days 4, and my bedtime ranges from 10pm to, like, 5am, so I get up anytime between like 8 and noon. It is bad.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #35
Yael Grauer

Was hoping to get to both the gym and BJJ today, but didn't get to either because I spent all morning and the better part of the evening redoing something completely at the last minute for a client at a non-profit, only pausing to get other work done. If they would've told me what they wanted ahead of time... yeah, they're getting their money's worth. Will hit the box gym tomorrow. I definitely need to figure out ways to work off some steam during the day. Maybe go on some hikes and leave my phone behind... but it's hard b/c what people think is nice weather around here I still think is cold.

On a happy note, really looking forward to my trip.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #36
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
but it's hard b/c what people think is nice weather around here I still think is cold.
For real! I woke up this morning and it was 49 in FL!!! That is freezing.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #37
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
For real! I woke up this morning and it was 49 in FL!!! That is freezing.
It's 52 here right now, though supposed to get in the 70s. I still have that desert blood, though!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
Yael Grauer

So I'm busy finishing last minute rewrites/requests and picking up a few things for the conference I'm going to in New York. Unfortunately ran out of time to go to the gym, but I think it's okay... I'm going to be out of town for the next week anyway, and don't exactly feel like dealing with being super sore (as is likely to be the case since I'm still working my way back into lifting) while navigating public transportation with luggage from the airport to my friend's place in Queens.

I did take about a 45-minute walk around the lake, though, which was nice.

I am really trying to figure out what my one goal is. My goal used to be completely grappling-related, like I want to get in better shape to improve my grappling, and then it'd be based around whatever I felt I needed to work on. Or I just focused on getting stronger for the year I took off from grappling. But now I'm thinking if I only do open mat once a week and have to take more basic classes before then, getting in shape to grapple isn't really practical--and I wouldn't know whether I met my goals anyway. So I have really been wrestling with this... Once I finish the 10 more sessions for the program I picked, which seems mostly strength-based, what is it I want to do?

I definitely want grappling to be a priority, but I think at this point it's more of a hobby than a workout since I have to do these technique-heavy classes. I think this may be a good thing for me in the long run, and I trust my coach, but it's annoying now.

I was looking at Nate Green's workout generator and was so confused...

His goals were:

1. I want to be healthy and fit (a blend of resistance and cardio designed for people who want to maintain a healthy, but not overly intense, workout routine.)

I think I might be bored with this one.

2. I want to be stronger. (Emphasizes big lifts for increased muscle mass, higher muscle tension, and improved intermuscular coordination.)

I like focusing on strength, but then I wonder, bigger and stronger for what? I'm not planning on competing in anything but grappling, and don't roll enough to compete in grappling... strength has always felt like a means to an end for me, but I don't really have a short/mid-term end right now.

3. I want to get toned and trim (women) (a mix of cardio and resistance training specifically designed to help you get toned and trim without getting bulky).

Ugh, who cares about being bulky? This sounds like #1, but they probably throw in "girly" exercises on Swiss balls to make people feel like they are doing something different. Anyway, it's always nice to have something physical to show for one's efforts, but I figure if you take care of the inside (as Krista Scott-Dixon always says) then the outside will take care of itself. And it's mostly diet, anyway.

4. I want an optimal body (men). Not applicable.

5. I want to gain muscle mass (optimized for maximum hypertrophy. If you want to look like a beast, this is your program). Not applicable.

6. I want to be healthy and fit (50+). Not applicable.

7. I want rapid weight loss. Meh, see #3.

8. I want to cross-train for stamina sports (swimming, soccer, wrestling.)
A conditioning program that includes high level cardio, resistance, plyometric training, flexibility, and ballistics. Develops stamina and strength, and prevent injuries.

I wanted this at first but now I'm wondering if that's what I even need, really. Is it cross-training if all my BJJ classes are drills at low effort and I only go hard one day a week?

9.I want to develop power for sports (football, baseball, etc.) N/a.

10. I want to maximize my athleticism in every aspect. Meh. Maybe. Except this seems so one-size-fits-all. "This is the broadest of all programs, providing a well balanced mix of stability, endurance, hypertrophy, strength, and power."

11. I want to cross-train for running, cycling, and long distance sports. No.

So strength, cross-training or overall athleticism? Hmm. They all seem problematic. Cross-training is pointless since I'm not "really" doing legit BJJ, overall athleticism is too broad and pure strength seems too specific. So yeah, I don't really know what I want and it sucks. LOL. I guess I just want to have fun and lift things and sprint.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
Yael Grauer

So much traveling and haven't really been training much, but I have been lugging around heavy things and doing a lot of walking, if that counts.

I did get the chance to attend two classes at Marcelo Garcia's academy in NYC, which was awesome. In the first one, we worked on a guard pass when they get the underhook, so you transition to the back step after posting the far side leg, and they trap the leg/foot half-guard-ish, and then you slide to the other side, and then have your leg posted again, and then end up in side control somehow... That probably makes no sense and I'm only remembering 90% of it, but that's how it goes. And then we worked on a double-attack from mount. Then switched to no-gi for an advanced class taught by Marcelo himself. We worked on a North-South choke and a Marcelotine and got to do a bunch of 7-minute rounds, plus takedown practice.

My food has been pretty bad since I've been traveling. Most of my choices have been Paleo, but I'm definitely not eating enough due to a combination of not wanting to spend tons of money and not having any time. I'm psyched to fly home tomorrow (Wed) but leaving again on Thurs or Fri to cover an event for Sherdog... Can't wait 'til next week when life is more normal again.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #40
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
S

My food has been pretty bad since I've been traveling. Most of my choices have been Paleo, but I'm definitely not eating enough due to a combination of not wanting to spend tons of money and not having any time..
I don't care what people say but trying to eat Paleo when you are traveling is $$$$.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote