Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #91
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
She didn't read what you wrote she said the same sort of things to me. She felt like everyone tried to coach her and that being significantly smaller made things disproportionately harder. She also felt like our instructor was constantly telling her to focus on the basics.
Interesting. Well, tell her to check out Emily Kwok's DVD.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #92
Yael Grauer

Eggs and avocado and bacon for breakfast. Leftover chicken with some mixed greens and a nice dressing for lunch. Shrimp and a side of broccoli for dinner. I did have a hot chocolate this AM, though, and I'm totally going to make some of this Paleo apple crumble while I do 5 zillion dishes this PM. http://www.myaimistrue.com/2010/09/apple-crumble/

Tomorrow we get to try our new grassfed beef, which is super exciting.

I did not go to intermediate today because I didn't feel like it. And actually part of it was that I was actually super hungry, and I think it might be because I got up earlier today and ate breakfast at 8 or so instead of at 10:30, and I'm trying to encourage my new keeping normal people hours habit.

Instead I did a super intro Jungle Gym workout at home, which was probably a bit too easy, but I threw in 25 wall balls at the end and some other stuff.

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my hand. I thought I jammed my finger last November or so but I think I maybe broke it because it's still jammed. And it's amazing how one digit can screw up your whole entire arm and shoulder and stuff. So the TRX thing was also to see where my mobility is at a bit. We'll see what I do tomorrow. I mean we have weights, dumbbells up to 50 lbs in my basement but without a bench or anything they're kind of hard to use. Maybe I'll do some harder TRX stuff tomorrow and actually use the weights for body rows or something, I dunno. I could get another 4 weeks at the gym but it seems silly when I'll have tons of hard BJJ I can do starting in 2 weeks... I do have some jumping practice I want to do, too...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #93
Yael Grauer

I did a workout based on the intermediate Jungle Gym workout, except I didn't say awesome every three seconds, and some of those exercises didn't work for me. The bands are actually tricky to adjust, and we have the thing tied to a beam in the basement, not in a doorway or on a pole or anything, so I couldn't do everything. I actually didn't feel like I got much of a workout at all, so I threw in 25 kettlebell swings at the end. At least i know I got more of a workout than I would've during our fundamental class tonight. My hand feels a teeny bit better, too.

I have open mat on Saturday and next Thursday Gabriel Goulart is going to be teaching so I'll get to do the advanced classes, so I should quit whining, lol. Plus I get to go to a MovNat in two weeks which I'm super excited about. I sort of quit practicing the climbing thing, though.

Food was solid. Eggs and bacon again, then we finally dipped into our new grassfed beef supply with a nice steak along with some roasted broccoli. I skipped lunch because I was working on a bunch of stuff so I may eat something else; not sure if I'll have time though.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #94
Yael Grauer

No workout yesterday and I didn't really eat much...a taco salad with some of our grassfed beef for breakfast/lunch, a paleo Perfect Foods Bar we found, some almonds, and then made eggs and bacon for dinner. I had a half a chocolate bar on Friday (other half on Thursday night), 73% dark. I was so busy working all day and then covering the fights in the PM. It's a lot of juggling writing for so many sites about one event. I was going to cook up some pork tenderloin but decided to marinate it overnight; that shit is too expensive to half-ass.

I also didn't get my carefully written advanced TRX...er, Jungle Gym workout done, and I slept through BJJ because I was up so late working on my column and recaps and such.

The good news is that I'm leaning out a little bit more lately. I'm still ~6 or 7 lbs. higher than I like to hover around (I like to stay only 3 lbs. above my competition weight), but I'm surprised I'm losing weight/improving body comp at all since I've been so lazy with my workouts. I guess my food's been decent, despite the inadvertent intermittent fasting.

Hoping for a relaxing weekend...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #95
Yael Grauer

Bacon, eggs and avocado for breakfast/lunch. Some pork tenderloin--so delicious--along with spinach cooked with garlic for a very early dinner. Yesterday was Northern Spark, so I was literally out all night long. We went to see Snow White (and shared a medium popcorn, though I don't think I ate half), went to see raptors (Todd got a soda to share w/ me because it was midnight by then, but I can't drink soda anymore) and then after a series of art installations, he went to bed and I went to an all-night magazine writing and print-making event. Over the course of the event (and I was there til 5:30AM), I had a cold chai, a cookie and a brownie... but I'm sure the all-night bender was worse for me than the food. Good psychologically, though.

Today I'm back to strict compliance and doing my TRX workout.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #96
Yael Grauer

So after staying out all night... "breakfast" was Robb's Paleo sausage with gravy and biscuits recipe, and dinner was PaleoDish's 3-meat chili.

I did a bunch of weeding, and it cracks me up to call it a workout, but I guess it's the same as walking. And then I tried to do the advanced TRX workout. So weird. The stuff I could do was easy and the stuff I couldn't do I really couldn't do at all. I guess a lot of bodyweight workouts are like that... but I kind of don't feel like there's a really effective progression. I'll figure out what I want to do about joining a gym or not after the MovNat thing I'm going to, and after seeing how intense our jits classes are once that guest coach comes in and I can do the harder classes.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #97
Yael Grauer

So I took a few days off the gym to do things I normally don't do because I am training. This mostly involved me wearing a name tag, not eating any of the food around, and talking to women who are older, have more established business, and are really out of shape. They are nice though. I went to some publishing networking event at some cafe on Monday and I went to a Professional Editors Network meeting, where someone was raving about how she made her cupcakes with soy milk and vegan margarine and I immediately threw it in the trash. Wheat is one thing but margarine and soy are another. And tomorrow I may even skip the first day of Goulart being here because I want to go to a magazine launch party, and because it's gonna be so crowded, but I will hit open mat on Friday and/or Saturday. And then next week I'm out of town for 3 days and then have my MovNat thing. Meh. He'll be here for 3 months anyway.

I did manage to get through BJJ today, though, it was the intermediate class and I actually got a good workout. Hard-ish warmup, and since I'm tired of our class being segregated, I immediately made a b-line to the guy I want to work with. He is badass and got a silver at World's, and when he coaches me he says one-sentence things that are actually helpful instead of giving long-winded explanations that aren't worth the time it takes me to understand them. Plus I like being held to high standards. Er, not to say the women don't hold us to high standards... But I don't want to work with the same 3 people each class. And one of those girls who's actually really good is always chewing gum and it's so gross to hear her chomping in my ears when we drill... and the one girl who's actually really damn good is super bossy... I don't know, maybe I'm sexist, I'd just rather work in with the guys. Though actually there were two girls I really liked to work with but they both left the gym.

Anyway, so I worked with him on this one takedown which was an armdrag where you sort of sit down and then transition to a single, and then we worked on two different butterfly guard passes, one of them you grab around their back like a guillotine defense and then smash the leg with your leg and post your other leg up, then grab their ankle, backstep off to the side, switch your ankle grab to a gi grab at their leg, push it over, and then control their leg with your knee before letting go. The other is like a weave through leg grab and you punch that leg out and go straight to side. I had trouble with that prob. bc the guy was so big but when he asked if he could get the gum-chomping girl over I said no... Let's not automatically defer to segregation, please... maybe my angle was just off... plus there's no guarantee that the next girl I compete with is going to be 30 lbs. lighter than me and 4" shorter anyway.

Anyway, after that, we did 5 minutes of butterfly guard passes and 5 minutes of butterfly guard defense, and I got paired with this one really young girl. She is annoying to work with but it wasn't too bad. I mean she's actually pretty good technically but she has the work ethic of the 15 year old she is, which is totally understandable. I just have issues right now. But it's nice to work my offense sometimes, and she did manage to pass my guard once in the 5 minute round, and it was a good workout. I actually like her okay, but I want to work with people who are really serious, I guess. Plus she keeps leaving the door open in the locker room when there's still people changing.

I read this article about how people get pissed off when they try to control their food or exercise willpower, and maybe that's what's going on? I honestly don't know what to do about my anger right now other than sequestering myself from people.

Anyway, other than that I got an Alexander technique session from someone for an article I'm doing. She was weird and freaked out when I told her I dislocated a kneecap once and assumed I no longer did any kind of training and wasn't sure how to proceed, which is so funny to me, people who touch people for a living and don't understand basic things... but she did tell me I had good hip movement, so I guess BJJ is good for something other than costing me $150+/month and pissing me off a lot.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #98
Yael Grauer

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ods-come-from/
Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #99
Yael Grauer

Maybe like an hour of open mat. I got about 4 7-minute rounds in; 2 rounds each with 2 guys. One's a good blue belt and he's figured out how to kill all of my hooks, so I need to step up my game. But I got mount a couple times, so it works. And the other was a purple belt from another gym who was really sneaky. Had fun, though. I did a ton of drilling on my own. I need to start doing that when people aren't rolling with me for whatever reason so at least I get a workout and some practice in.

I still need to hit the reset button on my life, though... I feel like it's so hard to eat anything in the summer and I just want to drink chai or eat fruit. This happened a lot in Tucson, too. Hard to get motivated to eat real food, though my boyfriend's been trying his best to make sure I eat, but it's not really his responsibility, either. I think I just need lots and lots and lots and lots of water, maybe even use fruit to flavor it, and start cooking things like cold soup, and find a way to eat food without beef even though we have a freezer full of beef, maybe defer to chicken or fish or shrimp now and again.

I'm not really sure where I got off track... I think it's from not being able to compete, which means that it doesn't matter how much I train or what I weigh, and just being burnt out in general in all aspects of my life which I feel I don't have as much control over as I would like. Things just aren't fun when I feel completely powerless, but I think I really just need to change the way I think about things. So I'm going on a little spa trip with my boyfriend's mom and sister though, so hopefully that will help me recharge a bit. And I'm hoping MovNat helps me think about physical activity as play again, instead of this thing I have to do to get rank so it'll suck less. Also, psyched that Gabriel's teaching for a few months. I got to meet him today and we didn't get to roll but he was nice. Maybe tomorrow morning.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #100
Yael Grauer

I was at the gym for a good 2, 2.5 hours. I think I got 8 or 9 rolls in, but we were doing 6 or 7 minute rounds. I'm working on a new butterfly pass we learned, and also just focusing a lot on grips and hooks, and working on my own butterfly guard...and basic things from bad positions, like frames (especially framing on the head)

It was absolutely packed, with Gabriel in town, so I rolled with higher belts so I wouldn't have to move every 3 seconds (we move based on rank). So I totally want to roll with him but I know some black belts get weird when you ask them, so I just would stand near him and make eye contact but it didn't work. LOL. Good thing he's here for 2,3 months.

My coach said he would roll with me, which is cool, I was waiting for him to approach me for 6.5 months now. But he has noticed people not rolling with me and always tries to partner me with someone. It's cool, but it's also kind of sad, like when I ask someone I think the world of to roll and they say no but then roll with me because he makes them, lol. And then one guy told me he didn't want to start standing because it was no-win for him; if he gets taken down, he got taken down by a girl, but if he takes me down, he was supposed to anyway. So I asked him why he would even roll with me then, with that attitude. I mean, if I tap him, he tapped to a girl, but if he taps me, he was supposed to anyway. He said I was okay to roll with because I had good technique, which I guess is a compliment, but I just think that's such a backwards way of looking at things. Why roll with anyone lower rank? Isn't that no-win, then? And then nobody higher rank should roll with you, because it'd be no-win for them. It's dumb.

Another issue I'm dealing with is when I roll with higher ranked people and not wanting to expend tons of energy when I'm in positions I don't know as well. One guy was telling me I need to be more aggressive today, and I am aggressive when I know what I'm doing, but I try to be patient when I'm not instead of flailing and wasting energy. So he said I need to rethink that approach. I'm not sure I agree. I actually like this person but could do without the lecture.

Trying to decide whether to compete in Chicago on August 18th. Most of next week I'm traveling or doing MovNat, but that gives me a good 7, 8 weeks to prep for it, and I'll be allowed in the 7:15 class while Gabriel's teaching...

Food is still too much coffee drinks, but my meals are good.