Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 04-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far:

To give you an idea of where my running ability is at:

50m- ~8 sec
100m - ~15 sec
400m - 1:25-1:30
1 mile - 7-7:30 but for me that's pushing it, I have done faster in the past but going sub 7 in the past usually triggers an asthma attack. (that was a while ago though so I'm not sure if it still does that).
2 miles - 14:30-15:00
5k - 28:00-29:00

So I'm not the fastest, and once my distance starts to go up my pace starts to increase also. I also don't have a huge background in running meaning I was a slow fat child and didn't do any sports! Russ Greene and I talked about this on how people who have already put the roadwork in the past will have an easier time maintaining their speed without running a lot. Since I have not much of a background other than when I first enlisted in 2003 and the occasional 2 mile PT test.

What else can I focus on while trying to bring my running pace/capability up in the next 4+ months? I don't want to halt lifting and go to straight metcon's and running. I know Greg advocates working on one thing at a time, i.e. dropping metcons to work on strength. So does it work the other way around also? Drop all strength work and focus primarily on met-cons and running and maybe some rowing?

BW right now is 183, BF is around 10%, IF'ing with calories at maintenance level.

My sorta max numbers:
Lifts

Deadlift - 360 (Missed 380, but I think I could have gotten 370)
high bar squat - 275
low bar squat - 315
front squat - 265
overhead squat - 175
power snatch - 135 x 2 (technique needs work, having a problem dropping into the hole)
clean - 195 x 1
bench press - 250 x 1
overhead press - 165 x 1
push press - 170 x 4
bent over rows - 235 x 4

Bodyweight stuff:

Dips - BW x 30+
ring dips - BW x 17
pullups - 12 dead hang, 15 kipping
pushups - 35+
ring pushups - 10

Row - 500m - PR of 1:31
Row - 2000m - PR of 7:31

Conditioning - I've been better than now, pretty much coming off a strength kick for the last 6 months.

Last edited by Allen Yeh; 04-20-2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: "Me fail english? That's unpossible!" - Bart Simpson
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #12
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodrich View Post
I didn't have to do BOLC but I'm guessing they're looking for about an 8:00 min/mile pace while in formation, probably singing cadence. 7:00 min/miles would probably put you in the top 15% of your peers. In my experience, crossfit style METCON transfers much better to battlefield tasks than distance running, so I wouldn't sweat the running too much unless you are really slow (like 9+min/mile). If you're already doing alot of METCON, I wouldn't add more than 1 day a week of distance running. I'd focus mostly on fartlek and or intervals with the occaisional steady long run to get used to holding a pace for distance. Alot of it is just mental, learning to let your mind "go to your happy place" while your body pounds out the miles.

Edit; What Branch are you going into? If its infantry you might want to do a little more running than I suggested above to prep for Ranger.
Yes, I forgot to add, these are most likely company runs which makes the accordion/yo-yo effect a bitch. That's how I sprained my ankle in BCT, I was so busy trying not to run into the guy in front of me I missed the gigantic pothole slightly to my right (ankle blew up to grapefruit size).

I can do a 7:00 mile....once! It's the stringing them together that worries me, so I guess being able to run a 35 minute/5 miles should be my long term goal. That running happy place has thus far eluded me, I guess I have to do some attitude adjustment fine tuning or something, I always hear from runners about the runners high or just getting into a zone which I don't feel like I've ever achieved even in BCT/AIT. To be honest a lot of the times I'm just thinking "ok, only X meters left."

I'm an MP now, so my first choice is MP and 2nd choice is Signal. BOLC II is 7 weeks at either Benning or Sill, and its 75% in the field, it's suppose to make officers more Army centric than branch centric, like what they are doing for the NCOA's i.e. changing PLDC to WLC. I'm all for that part, just need to get my running up to par so I'm not lagging behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Alan,

I'll put something together for you.
Thanks James, I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
The ciruits I posted some time ago helped me big time to kick-start running when I was into long distances running.
Where did you post these, your log? You don't mean that 400 x 100m thing right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
I woudl bet you would benefit from really focusing on running technique drills to improve your form~ala Pose method or Chi Running or whatever the buzz method of the day is for learning efficient running.
I've already tried to transition to more effecient running, I just need to be able to keep it up over the long haul because after a mile or so my old habits still creep in there. Pre-2005 running caused really bad shin splints...etc and a lot of the Crossfit people were recommending Pose method and that has made a huge difference in terms of injury prevention and I no longer wear my motion-control/stability shoes that weighed nearly a pound each. I think that running more effeciently and not wearing those kinds of shoes has actually started to bring my arch back since I had very flat feet and they are still flat but not as much now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Whiting View Post

I would do this:

Day One: Tempo Run
Day Two: Metcon and or Strength
Day Three: Intervals/Hill Reps
Day Four: Metcon and or Strength
Day five:LSD
Weekend off

I wouldn't go too mental with LB/TB ME work during your prep for this.
Tempo run? I've heard the term before but not quite sure what's involved?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Mike ODonnell

To build up speed, you need to practice speed....a friend of mine who is ex Canada Pro-Tri would take me out and do repeats of 400s, 800s, and miles....just break them up in different days. I agree one day should be your long distance day...and work up to the 5 miles....week one 3 miles, week 2 3.5 miles....etc...etc....making sure your tempo/time is where you want it to be. Buy a good stop watch and use a track if you can to know lap times...or have mile markers on your run.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #14
Josh Whiting

I'm really talking about a tempo run in the distance running sense. A hard, but not all out, effort. You can do this for time or distance. I suppose if you think about the fastest you can cover a distance you should aim for about 80% of that. You should be working hard and but able to stay relaxed(ish) and concentrate on good running form. I wouldn't go for more than 30 minutes.

You could always replace this with longer repeats say from a mile upwards.

The concertina effect is a bitch, but easily remedied by getting to the front and staying there!

I'm sure you will be able to become a strong runner by the time you get there.
Josh Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Chris Goodrich

Based on your stats I wouldn't be worried about passing BOLC. I saw plenty of guys with slower runs pass IOBC. You're probably about mid-pack of new officers. The only thing that would concern me is the asthma attacks you mentioned. In that environment, falling out of a formation run is generally percieved as a sign of lack of motivation unless there is an obvious injury (i.e. bone protruding through skin). Even a legit asthma attack might be misinterpreted by your TAC. I don't know much about asthma, but I'd make sure you have an inhaler and talk to your cadre when you arrive.
As far as training plans, I think you could make significant progress by using METCONs with a sprint focus and doing one long run per week. This would allow you to at least maintain your strength if not continue to improve. If you really want to excel at the running events, you will need a more running centric program, but this will hurt your strength more. In my experience, crossfit has prepared me much better for combat than endurance running (I was up to 20-30 miles a week pre-CF). The Army is slowly learning this as well, but there are still a lot of leaders out there who think push-ups, sit-ups, and distance running are the pinnacle of fitness training. Depending on your personal goals it may be worth focusing on running in the short term until you are able to max the APFT, but for the long term I would highly recommend using crossfit-style workouts for your METCON instead of distance running.
Chris Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Motion MacIvor

Allen,
I hate running too. I've tried to like it but it's no use. The one piece of advice that everybody forgot is that you're legs will get destroyed if you just start running without a bit of build up. I suggest that you start with baby steps. Every day for the about two weeks start your say with ultra easy intervals of 1 minute jogging followed by 1 minute of fast walking repeat 10 times. reduce your walking time and increase your run time systematicaly until you can jog for twenty minutes straight. Then start a more serious program. Jumping into quick will just result in injury. I know it sucks to go so slow but it's pretty much necesary.
hope that helps
Motion MacIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #17
Rick Deckart
Banned

Allen, I talked about this circuit:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=504

But keep in mind you should be at least an okay runner and should have an idea what your 5k pace it. It is also not an replacement to running but a nifty way to increase the lactate threshold which is one of the big factors in long distance running. One does this for a short time and switches to more running based training afterwards, like interval work, hill running etc.

It does help but is brutal if done honestly. Therefore it may be better if you build some solid easy milage as a foundation first.
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #18
Jay L Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Whiting View Post
As far as strength goes your probably near enough that level anyway.

I would do this:

Day One: Tempo Run
Day Two: Metcon and or Strength
Day Three: Intervals/Hill Reps
Day Four: Metcon and or Strength
Day five:LSD
Weekend off

I wouldn't go too mental with LB/TB ME work during your prep for this.
I think this is a great program to improve running speed in a relatively short time. It's not going to kill you to run three days a week for a while, regardless of what Art DeVany says. It is really important to get some miles in to condition your feet, knees, and hips against the repetitive stress of running, if you're going to be doing it regularly in your training course.
Jay L Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion MacIvor View Post
Allen,
I hate running too. I've tried to like it but it's no use. The one piece of advice that everybody forgot is that you're legs will get destroyed if you just start running without a bit of build up. I suggest that you start with baby steps. Every day for the about two weeks start your say with ultra easy intervals of 1 minute jogging followed by 1 minute of fast walking repeat 10 times. reduce your walking time and increase your run time systematicaly until you can jog for twenty minutes straight. Then start a more serious program. Jumping into quick will just result in injury. I know it sucks to go so slow but it's pretty much necesary.
hope that helps
Thanks Motion I had thought about this and wondered if doing the program that James outlined was too aggresive a jump start if for the few months before this I was lucky to even run once a week.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puetz View Post
Allen, I talked about this circuit:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=504

But keep in mind you should be at least an okay runner and should have an idea what your 5k pace it. It is also not an replacement to running but a nifty way to increase the lactate threshold which is one of the big factors in long distance running. One does this for a short time and switches to more running based training afterwards, like interval work, hill running etc.

It does help but is brutal if done honestly. Therefore it may be better if you build some solid easy milage as a foundation first.
Peter,

Ok I remember that now, that does seem pretty brutal I will do that after I finish up with what James outlined in the other thread. Thanks for reposting the link.