Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #101
Yael Grauer

Leaving town in a couple hours... I get to go to a spa early Tuesday! And then I get to do this MovNat thing on Thurs-Sun. And so I'll figure out afterwards what I want to do... Probably my ring training and BJJ, but deciding if I want to compete in August and what to do about my whole only wanting to eat a slice of cake and drink a cup of chai and nothing else thing.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #102
Yael Grauer

So I've been doing this MovNat course, and it is so awesome. Too much to write about right now. Unfortunately also averaging only 5 hours of sleep each night because a bunch of stuff came up at the same time (deadlines, car breakdown, my brother visiting, etc. etc.), but damn am I learning a ton. First time I've been exciting about working on things I can't do in a long time.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #103
Yael Grauer

Just finished 4 insane days of MovNat today. It was really nice. I am totally beat, though. I think I learned more this week than I have in the past year or so about movement and areas I'm weak at and need work, as well as having some really amazing improvement in a short amount of time. The whole thing was pretty damn humbling, but also really empowering. I was kind of surprised at which skills I could do today that I didn't think I'd be able to (like crawling on a beam, which I really struggled with from the get-go, because I lack sufficient hip stability in contralateral movements). Got to work one-on-one with Erwan on my running and jumping over the past couple of days... We did SO MUCH work... It was pretty amazing, and I came home with a few things I really want to spend some time working on... I was also really impressed with their progressions and the way they teach people how to coach. Anyway, this will be a PM article so people can read more about it then.

Between my broken car and my broken dryer and giving people rides and emergency deadlines and the training, I'm pretty damn beat. I haven't slept more than 5 hours a night for the past 2 weeks. Gonna take a few days to recover while I get the car fixed and then go from there.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #104
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Just finished 4 insane days of MovNat today. It was really nice. I am totally beat, though. I think I learned more this week than I have in the past year or so about movement and areas I'm weak at and need work, as well as having some really amazing improvement in a short amount of time. The whole thing was pretty damn humbling, but also really empowering. I was kind of surprised at which skills I could do today that I didn't think I'd be able to (like crawling on a beam, which I really struggled with from the get-go, because I lack sufficient hip stability in contralateral movements). Got to work one-on-one with Erwan on my running and jumping over the past couple of days... We did SO MUCH work... It was pretty amazing, and I came home with a few things I really want to spend some time working on... I was also really impressed with their progressions and the way they teach people how to coach. Anyway, this will be a PM article so people can read more about it then.

Between my broken car and my broken dryer and giving people rides and emergency deadlines and the training, I'm pretty damn beat. I haven't slept more than 5 hours a night for the past 2 weeks. Gonna take a few days to recover while I get the car fixed and then go from there.

I look forward to your wrap-up of the MovNat thing, years ago I remember reading an article in Mens Health about Erwan. Some of the stuff the author said Erwan was doing seemed pretty amazing, tried looking it up and doing more Movnat-esque stuff into my training for a bit but that was back in 2009.

5 hours/day for 2 weeks! Always seems like it pours when it rains doesn't it? Going to stick to Paleo during your recovering days?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #105
Yael Grauer

We did have an article Ryan Atkins wrote about a shorter MovNat class he attended. I really enjoyed it... it had a different quality to it than other courses I'd been to, and I don't know if I believe in body memory as much as some people do, but once you can jump and land softly or run quietly... it definitely feels different and beautiful... I think I want more of that in my training, and I can also incorporate some of it into drills we have to do at BJJ in addition to practicing it on my own.

I'm pretty much obsessed with sending in videos for the 3 tests I didn't pass, and 2 of them I think I can get right away, but I'll be working with Dan Baruch on the leg swing. Erwan said it wasn't a strength thing for me, but a skill thing, and since pullups have always been my Kryptonite, I think I'll feel better once I can get myself over a bar, and 3 months is plenty of time.

And yeah, it's been so frantic lately! It's not all bad, just stressful. I finally slept for 9 hours last night and almost feel human again.

Started on Paleo again yesterday. I was mostly Paleo during the course, though I did have some oatmeal for breakfast one day and had some coffee drinks which had sugar, etc. just to stay awake. I honestly think I do better with non-Paleo carbs than not enough carbs on days I'm super stressed out (physically or mentally), and I didn't have canned yams or anything at my disposal.

One day I just wanted to keep practicing during lunch and also it took me a couple days to trust driving the Jeep Patriot I rented (smallest thing they had) because I didn't trust the mirror on the side, and someone asked me why I wasn't eating lunch and I said I was intermittent fasting. LOL.

Anyway, so now I have 3 new movement-based goals, and I want to start incorporating a little bit of MovNat skills in my training to get better at the ones I can already do (and work on them with Todd, who will love them I think.)

I'm still not sure if I want to compete in BJJ in August or not. Honestly my BJJ goal is to get another stripe. But first I need to get my car fixed...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #106
Yael Grauer

So I got my car fixed (bad starter). Skipped BJJ because I was so sore yesterday, I think from practicing crawling (etc.) and tripods during lunch for 4 days in addition to the regular full-day training and my whole lack of sleep thing. And I kept practicing sand bag cleans, which were hard for me because I have done so many barbell cleans that I kept wanting to have my elbows parallel, which makes it hard to grip properly for the jerk.

I really am hoping to train today and Wednesday, since we have another guest coach in town for 10 days... but I don't want to spend the extra $100 or $150 or whatnot for the training, especially since I'll be missing the seminar. I'm out of town Fri and Sat, and I'll just have the intermediate M and W classes next week...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #107
Yael Grauer

Went to an advanced BJJ class today with Gabriel Goulart. I really liked the techniques he showed, but he didn't really seem to go around and check what people were doing. Luckily I was working with a really good purple belt, which helped. We worked some half-spider sweeps from opponent standing and kneeling, and a triangle from there. Then we got in groups of 3 for some 7-minute rounds. Some girl cranked the bejeezus out of my arm. I could feel her getting frustrated in the 1st round when she couldn't finish a choke she was working for, for like 5 minutes. I fucking hate that we can't pick our own partners. This is the 3rd time in 7 months that I've gotten hurt when working with someone that somebody else put me with. I feel like I know better than an instructor who I should be working with, and it's my body, but since it's not socially acceptable to ask to be repartnered, maybe next time my Spidey sense goes off, I'll just suddenly need to go home.

I am really bummed about my arm and I hope it gets better soon because I need to work on 3 different MovNat things to get my cert, and like two of them are arm-related. This sucks.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #108
Yael Grauer

So I got some acupuncture and cupping on my arm, which is still pretty messed up but a bit better. The guy told me to rest it for 3 days, so I guess I won't train again 'til Monday. We were going to go out of town on Friday and Saturday anyway, so I guess it works out. Hopefully it'll be healed up by then.

No other training today. Just trying to catch up on all this work.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #109
Yael Grauer

Arm is a bit better... not perfect but better. Did a little bit of running practice today.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #110
Yael Grauer

We're about to spend a couple days at the lake, so I'm just trying to finish as much work as possible before we head out. I'm hoping to work on my heel strike and then get a video of me running to send in... I'm pretty much obsessed with passing the 3 tests I didn't get in the MovNat cert and one of them was b/c I had a bit of a heel strike, but I wrote down the list of progressions they usually do and I think I can get it pretty quickly. It's just running backwards and "skipping" and one drill where you put your hands out in front to make sure you're not going from side to side... It can't be that hard. I think my problem is that I don't bend my knees enough. Anyway, should be a fun couple days, and we're bringing our bikes, too.

2nd test will be this medicine ball throw, which...we needed to get 6 of 8 throws and I only got 5. I really think it's because I test badly. LOL. The hard part is that I need an 8' wall and our ceilings even in the basement only go up 7'. So I need to figure out where to go, if I can find a brick wall somewhere or something.

I'm hoping to knock these two out within a week or so (assuming I can throw with my arm) so I can just focus on the climbing.