Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
Ian MacDonald

Default Snatch Feed Back Please

Hey Everyone, i'm Ian from Australia and we don't have as large a weightlifting community here as some other places. I've been doing Crossfit for a few years and have been a trainer and coach for about 18 months.

The trouble is i haven't had anyone that can coach me through the lifts so my prgress is slow. I made 80kg (BW 73kg)last week and came close again this week but actually filmed some this time. In the videos below i made 70kg (i also made 75kg but have no video) but then missed 80kg

Does anyone have some advice from what you can see below, my weight seems forward in the first pull?

Cheers,
Ian

70kg
http://youtu.be/C6CKQvn6OAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CKQvn6OAE

80kg Miss
http://youtu.be/L7HI0ZFL_bI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7HI0...feature=relmfu
Ian MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Matt Morris

First off, it looks pretty good. The only thing I would say is that on both lifts the bar is a bit forward off the floor. When the bar get's to your knees, your weight needs to be back further. There's a few ways to get this done, but I like to set up with my weight a tad towards the forefoot and shift back to my heel as the bar gets to my knee. Greg and others may tell you this is stupid, so take it w/ a grain of salt.

Keep it up!
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

You need to get the bar and your weight shifting back as the bar leaves the floor. As you can see with that bar path tracing, the bar immediately moves forward. Start the bar a little farther forward over your foot and when you break it, immediately shift your weight back toward your heels and push the bar back toward you.

You move into the bar a bit past the knees - stay back over your feet as you extend and open the hips up a bit more, i.e. get your shoulders slightly farther back at the top of your pull.

You make that 70 because you do such a good job of pulling under and staying so close to the bar.

On the 80, the above problems are just more pronounced because the weight has more influence on your position and balance. Again, your pull under the bar is good in the sense that you stay so close to it, but your body is moving forward from earlier in the lift, and that carries over as you get under the bar, so you're a bit forward, hence the miss behind you.

Also looks like in your overhead position, your shoulders are rounded forward a bit, which means your arms can't be in a solid supportive position for the bar - they have to be angled back a bit. Work on tightening your upper back and shoulder blades to create a better base for your arms and therefore the bar. That with the weird forward movement just stuck you in a bad spot and I'd be willing to bet that the balance wasn't so bad you couldn't have stabilized the lift, but the way it came down on your elbows and shoulders made you reflexively bend the elbows and bail out.

Also on the 80, you get a little tense with the arms earlier than in the 70 - you may have such a good pull under because that's what you're focused on. Be patient, focus on finishing the extension of your body a bit more, and only engage the arms to pull down after that bar has been launched.

Finally, the best part of that 80 video is the girl's face in the background.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Ian MacDonald

Wow guys, Thank you both for the feedback. I'll give this a whirl over the next few weeks

Thanks from down under

Greg - love your books and the Performance Menu is great!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Ian MacDonald

Thanks for the initial feedback on my lifting! i've been working on the pull from the ground as you guys suggested and it seems to be getting my positioning a bit better. I've done quite a bit of work off boxes (http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...p?articleID=52 Great Instructions!) and more pulls from the ground.

I caught an 85kg snatch on film yesterday (a PR for me!) and it looks like i could get a bit more extension by pulling from the knees into a bit more of a vertical position before the main drive? Either that or get stronger i guess?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Your weight stays too far forward during the pull, which is at least partly why you start the second pull too early and why it's not as explosive as it needs to be.

If I'm reading what you said about a vertical position correctly, no. Stay over the bar until it's at mid to upper thigh. Trying to get vertical sooner will slow you down, both in terms of the actual extension speed and the change of direction at the top.

Get your weight back a bit more off the floor and keep it back all the way up the pull. Push down w the legs and open the hips more to finish your extension.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Ian MacDonald

Thanks Greg, I'll keep working on it over the next six weeks

Cheers for the input