Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default push/pull meet thoughts

I'm doing a push/pull meet in December by USAPL rules. Currently I'm doing the WS4SB program going into week 3 and I'm just not sure if it's what I need to do all the way up until December or if I should try to switch to a more linear progression although I last year I stalled pretty quickly when I tried linear SS programming.

I tested myself on July 18th:
bench - 230 with a full pause and lockout (bench 245 about a year ago but haven't been benching heavy since then)
deadlift - 360, tried 375 and missed (pulled 405 about a year ago, injured bicep this past spring)

I can devote 3 days a week to training at the gym, and can do additional prehab/rehab/conditioning stuff at home, with Laurie still on the mend from her surgery family is still my number one thing.

So to recap:
1. Programming overload looking at all the different options, not sure how to go from here for the next 4 months. The meet in the 2nd week of December. So like 14 weeks away.
2. Squat or not if training for push/pull? I know it's not one of the lifts being judged so would that mean I just do minimal squatting or what?
3. weight class - right now i'm weighing around 86kg's and not sure if I should stay at this weight or drop down to the 82.5 kg category, In my mind I'm thinking if I stay in the 82.5 to 90kg category I'll be bound to get embarrassed, but I might get embarrassed either way

Thanks.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Just some quick and marginally helpful thoughts -

1. Go to a program or approach that has worked for you well in the past and modify as needed. I wouldn't use this as a time to do a lot of experimentation.

2. I would still squat, but only 1x/wk and don't make it a huge priority. But I do think it will be helpful.

3. I would make that decision based on how easily it is for you to gain vs lose weight. I'm not a big fan of dropping wt classes because for most people it doesn't work nearly as well as they think it will. But there are people out there who are very adept at cutting and can do it without sacrificing much in the way of performance. If you're one of those people, then do it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I'm doing a push/pull meet in December by USAPL rules. Currently I'm doing the WS4SB program going into week 3 and I'm just not sure if it's what I need to do all the way up until December or if I should try to switch to a more linear progression although I last year I stalled pretty quickly when I tried linear SS programming.

I tested myself on July 18th:
bench - 230 with a full pause and lockout (bench 245 about a year ago but haven't been benching heavy since then)
deadlift - 360, tried 375 and missed (pulled 405 about a year ago, injured bicep this past spring)

I can devote 3 days a week to training at the gym, and can do additional prehab/rehab/conditioning stuff at home, with Laurie still on the mend from her surgery family is still my number one thing.

So to recap:
1. Programming overload looking at all the different options, not sure how to go from here for the next 4 months. The meet in the 2nd week of December. So like 14 weeks away.
2. Squat or not if training for push/pull? I know it's not one of the lifts being judged so would that mean I just do minimal squatting or what?
3. weight class - right now i'm weighing around 86kg's and not sure if I should stay at this weight or drop down to the 82.5 kg category, In my mind I'm thinking if I stay in the 82.5 to 90kg category I'll be bound to get embarrassed, but I might get embarrassed either way

Thanks.
14 weeks is a long time.

Most people get a lot out of squatting for their pull.

I would get some time with a good bencher right away and train with a partner who can hand off your benches in practice. in a few weeks begin to learn the commands.

get a belt and learn to use it.

no one ever regretted doing more upper back work and rowing

use a pause benches as accessory work. if your back is not sore after these you're in need technical help setting up your bench. if no good training partners, look at Mark Bell's videos

do not change bodyweight for your first meet.

embarrassed has nothing to do with it. what anyone else does is irrelevant to your total.

i'd bench twice a week for a while, maybe even three.

the best thing you can add to this mix is a strong and experienced training partner
Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Thanks Greg and Dave.

- Weight class staying same, got it, focus on myself.

- I miscounted it's total of 16 weeks away.

- Spent some time yesterday getting my thoughts together and numbers down, going to follow the 5/3/1 simplest strength template, the only modification would be Dave's suggestion of pause benching on my overhead press day rather than close-grip benching which I originally planned. I'll look at the videos and work that in.

- belt -check

Current plan main lift and main accessory lift, the rest is just misc stuff like abs, low back...etc Though the running is not set in stone I may just do them after the lift days, I just need to get 2 days of running in, haven't been keeping up with my Army stuff nearly as much as I need to, PT test is coming in the next 2 months for sure.
Day 1 - bench + incline press -
day 2 - running ~2 miles
day 3 - DL + FS
day 4 - sprints ~400m's repeats
day 5 - OH press + pause benches -
day 6 - squat + GM's
day 7 - rest and recovery

This may all get throw out the window on Saturday when I'm going to try to see if I can lift the the meet coordinator and his crew.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

I'd ditch that running ASAP and at least for the last 6 weeks into the meet.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
I'd ditch that running ASAP and at least for the last 6 weeks into the meet.
Will do after my next PT test. Should be taking one in Oct.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Will do after my next PT test. Should be taking one in Oct.
Can you dial it back? I'm not worried about the easy stuff, that's all to the good. It's the 400 repeats that should probably be ditched.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Can you dial it back? I'm not worried about the easy stuff, that's all to the good. It's the 400 repeats that should probably be ditched.
To be honest I don't know, I've really neglected running other than sprints basically since I got back home. My next PT test would be around October I think so for now I was shooting for one longer run day and one 400/800 day. After this week I'll know better where my 2 mile time lies and I can readjust from there. I can definitely ditch the running after my next PT Test.

I just finished my DL day yesterday and already I'm wondering with my running stuff if I should dial my training days to 3 times a week because today I'm hurting can't imagine going out and running repeats today at all.

Have you had any success with full body split type stuff? Wendler had a split in v2 where he had a 3 day where you squat 3 days a week, 2 days are lighter load days, 1 day is a 5/3/1 style day and you pull and push every day as well but lighter loads on the other days and push that lift one day. I wonder if that would be better than I'm only training 3 days a week, running twice a week leaving 2 days for rest/recovery type stuff.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

My spud 3 ply belt came in yesterday...and I bought the wrong size! Now I have to send it back today and now it'll be another week+ until I can train with it!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
To be honest I don't know, I've really neglected running other than sprints basically since I got back home. My next PT test would be around October I think so for now I was shooting for one longer run day and one 400/800 day. After this week I'll know better where my 2 mile time lies and I can readjust from there. I can definitely ditch the running after my next PT Test.

I just finished my DL day yesterday and already I'm wondering with my running stuff if I should dial my training days to 3 times a week because today I'm hurting can't imagine going out and running repeats today at all.

Have you had any success with full body split type stuff? Wendler had a split in v2 where he had a 3 day where you squat 3 days a week, 2 days are lighter load days, 1 day is a 5/3/1 style day and you pull and push every day as well but lighter loads on the other days and push that lift one day. I wonder if that would be better than I'm only training 3 days a week, running twice a week leaving 2 days for rest/recovery type stuff.

Yes absolutely. Including a squat press and pull every training day is one of my core sensibilities and my overall preference. As for the split you're talking about I'm essentially doing that now...Dead and Bench, Squat and Press, though in season it can gets a little squirrelly. Just recognize, the press is waaaaay back burner and you'll do fine.