Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #161
Yael Grauer

Did Saturday open mat, 6 or 7 rolls in I think, then I missed BJJ on Monday because I went to Chris Guillebeau's Minneapolis book tour stop. He is awesome. Today went back to Oly and usually it looks like we start with stretches, then he'll have me do power snatches, starting from mid-thigh then mid-knee then below the knee, then I'll do some off the blocks, then off the floor, then work on just squats. Then clean and jerks; worked up to 35 kilo which I guess isn't too bad for my second time there. Then did way too many back squats, but I think I was only doing like 80 or 85 lbs. or so. Just lots of sets of 5. It's like...sets of 3 for snatch work, sets of 2 or 1 for c+j, then sets of 5 for squats. Then ended with some shoulder presses. My coach said I probably get enough cardio in grappling, so he didn't make me do situps or anything. I'm pretty wiped and wasn't even lifting that heavy. Having fun, though, and he said my arm looks straighter.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #162
Yael Grauer

Took off BJJ yesterday, which unfortunately seems like it's becoming a pattern, but really it was everything I could do to finish working on my fundraiser, plus meet deadlines and not slack on my client meetings, so yeah. Anyway, I did 4 days last week and will do 1 this week, so it's only 5 instead of 6, but not that bad.

Today was Olylifting, and I was super tired (stayed up too late plugging away on the fundraiser) and my legs still sore from squatting too much, so we went through everything pretty quickly and didn't go as high on weight in the sn (I'm not doing a full sn yet anyway) but the c+js were a bit better, but in all of them I kept wanting to hold the weight far away from my body because I'm so tired today. So we did them pretty quickly and then instead of squats I did some deadlifts off the boxes, which I thought was just so much fun and we went up to 75k with sets of 5. Probably hurt my hands more than anything; I'm not used to deadlifting with an Oly bar. Anyway, then did a bunch of shoulder presses and ended on those. I think I did 25k but can't remember.

I could tell my coach really wanted to have spent more time working on the lifts, and having me squat, but I can only do what I can do. And we can't remember how much I squatted but I know I've only gone up to 28k on the sn and it's def. more like a power snatch I think 36k on the c+j, more like a power clean though, not that I couldn't squat more on it but I just don't need to. Anyway, those are probably pretty low numbers but we're focusing mostly on form and higher reps and it's only my 3rd time.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #163
Yael Grauer

Went to the chiropractor today and he told me I was healing amazingly well, which was cool, but he won't work on my knee until I foam roll my IT band every day, which is just so excruciatingly painful that I don't really want to.

Open mat... I just did 3 rounds, I think. People really cut open mat short today, and I got there a bit late, but there also weren't that many people I wanted to roll with either.

Missing lifting tomorrow to go to a football game.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #164
Yael Grauer

Went to intermediate. We had a long hard warm-up, and then we worked on a takedown where you get your grips, pull down, pretend you're gonna pull guard, then when they put their leg forward and rotate their hips back to defend, you straighten your arm, grab the leg with the same arm, then get one grip with your other arm and the wrist grip with the arm under their leg, then basically circle around for the TD. Then we worked on a single-leg x-guard entry when your opponent is in S-mount; you basically work in both knees, then get one leg all the way through, then on the hip, and then move the other one to position, then loosen their lapel grip. Then we did a variation from when they have mount and are all the way forward, basically, so you push their hips up while bucking (you can try to put your feet in their armpit but I think probably don't need to), then get a knee in and when they stand transition to traditional x-guard. We then did two 6-minute rounds, and of course I'm trying to get to x, but I didn't know what to do from x, so I almost didn't see the point, but I guess they went over sweeps from x-guard last week on days I wasn't there. I have to admit that not getting striped last promotion ceremony has made me more single-minded in pursuit of that stripe (and belt, eventually), so it's hard to shake myself out of thinking that it's not even required to know x-guard to get a blue belt and I won't use it in rolling and am not even competing right now, so what's the point. Probably a bad attitude to have, and a few months ago i would've been flippin' psyched to work x-guard, but I guess that's what happens when you're in a sport with ranks.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #165
Yael Grauer

Olylifting day. So I started out with the same warmup, which starts with the stick and then the light bar and then the regular bar, working 3-position snatches, then working power snatches by 3s and 2s, up to 29k this time, then go back down to an easier wait for sets. Then clean and jerks, I can't remember if I got up to 37 or 38, but whatever. Mostly sets of 3, some 2s. Did a bunch of squats up to 45K, sets of 3. Then a bunch of presses in sets of 5; apparently I can press more than I snatch. Then about 20 box jumps.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #166
Yael Grauer

Okay, I'm sore.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #167
Yael Grauer

was all dressed up and ready to go to fundamentals but a client i love called and i ended up on the phone, then it was too late to go to beginner's and i'm way too sore to do advanced. oh well. if i'm still sore tomorrow i'll do bjj instead of lifting. it's those 5K increases between squats that kill my recovery. i think if i just squated 99 it'd be easier than squatting 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88 for 5s and then 3X5 at 99.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #168
Yael Grauer

okay, i went to bjj since i was still sore from yesterday and because i missed it yesterday, so i thought i'd just lift tomorrow and go to open mat saturday morning.

we worked hooks (behind the knee, on the hips with knees out, biceps/spider guard), then we worked them with the other person walking around, then did the balloon sweep, and then we worked triangles. amazing how much turning your foot out once it's locked in tightens it up.

my oly coach said i should try a steam or warm bath if i'm too sore to train, which made me feel bad, but i feel like coming in when i'm sore is just a waste of both our time.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #169
Yael Grauer

Olylifting today.

Started out with power sn. These are all kg.

3 X 15
3 X 17
3 X 20
3 X 25
3 X 27
3 X 18
3 X 29
3 X 25
3 X 25
3 X 25

Then c+j

2 X 25
2 X 25
2 X 27
2 X 27
2 X 30
2 X 31
2 X 34
2 X 35
2 X 36
2 X 37
1 X 37
2 X 35
2 X 35
2 X 35

Then back squats, which I'm going to write in lbs. because it's easier:

5 X 77
5 X 82
5 X 84
5 X 88
5 X 95
5 X 99
5 X 99
5 X 99

Then shoulder presses, in lbs. again

5 X 33
5 X 40
5 X 44
5 X 51
5 X 55
5 X 60
5 X 55
5 X 55
5 X 55

My coach wants me to do lots of reps of weight that's close to my max until it feels super light and then we can go up.Working a lot on form, mostly my mistakes are pulling the bar away from me, using my arms too soon, not getting under/meeting the bar, and not finishing the c+j once I meet the bar.

I was also pretty PMS-y today and didn't eat enough, so I was pretty spacey and not with it. I felt like I was making a lot of mistakes. Also, people tried to be friendly and talk to me and I answered them in two syllables and looked down or away. I'm turning into a dude.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #170
Yael Grauer

BJJ today. Rolled with a really cool brown belt for a couple rounds; we're working on me keeping my hips parallel to the ground in transitions on top, plus creating space/hip escaping on the bottom more, plus I tried to shoot up some triangles from guard b/c I may as well. And a few other things. Rolled with a blue belt, which was good, he's a pretty crazy wrestler but at least I made him work a little bit. Then rolled with another blue belt but then he thought my light-hearted smack talk (which he started, lol) was me being serious and didn't want to finish the round. It always surprises me when people take me seriously when I make jokes at open mat because I'm a little girl and I wear a pink gi, but I guess everyone gets moody. Just weird being told I need to control my temper when I wasn't even pissed off. I think the worst thing I said was "good luck with that" when he told me he was gonna hold some weird position for the rest of the round, which isn't even that obnoxious. Plus even if I was pissed off, it's not like I'm gonna flip out and crank shit. It was weird but I tried to talk to him about it later and told him I was just playing around and he said we were cool, so whatever. I think I am just not going to roll with him though because I had enough drama at my old gym that I don't want to start new drama.

Anyway, so I rolled with another blue for the rest of the round and he totally arm triangled me, haha. Then I rolled with this really cool and mellow brown belt, and that was fun, and then I rolled with this white belt girl who was trying to kill me, turns out she used to wrestle, so I had to turn it up a bit and got back mount forever but couldn't finish the chokes, and then I showed her a back mount escape after. Then rolled with another blue and called it a day. So I think I had about 7 6-minute rounds, which is pretty good for an open mat, and then afterwards we all looked at gross photos of each other's finger injuries.

I'm not too sore today but I'm glad tomorrow's a rest day. So this week I did 3 days of BJJ and 2 days of Oly and hoping to do 3 and 3 next week.