Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Kevin Pinel

Default New to the forum - Looking to bulk / keep up Judo

Hi All,

My name is Kev and I'm new to the forum. I am looking for some guidance on how I should go about putting on weight.

I am currently 154 lbs (70kgs) at 5ft 10/11, 22 years old

I do Judo 2 times per week and one 2 hour squad fitness session. So far I have just been keeping fit with my Judo, but now I would like to bulk up and move up to the next weight category (under 81's).

I feel that my fitness is already at a high level (not trying to sound big headed, just realistic) but my strength is what always lets me down. So I need to lift more weights.

My best lifts right now are -

Deadlift 187lbs (85kgs) 3x5 (quite solid and explosive reps)
Squat, high bar 132lbs (60kgs) 1x5 (not very solid, bar slows downs)
Bench 121lbs (55kgs) 1x5 (my worst lift)
OHP 88lbs (40kgs) 3x5

I need help putting together a routine that is geared towards me putting on mass but not interfering with my recovery for Judo too much. End of the day, I love Judo but I'm never going to compete at a high level, its just my hobby, so I would prefer to focus training towards 'looking better', whilst STILL striving to improve my shocking strength.

I was thinking something along the following -

Monday - Push (bench 3x5 - Press 3x5 - assistance exercises)
Tuesday - JUDO
Wednesday - Pulling (dead 3x5 - chins - assistance exercises)
Thursday - JUDO
Friday - REST DAY
Saturday - Legs (back or front squats 3x5 - assistance exercises)
Sunday - Squad conditioning session

I have no idea if this looks like a good setup, so please feel free to tear apart. I also need advice on which assistance exercises to use and the rep ranges.

I know eating more will be key aswell, I need to work on this aspect.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Kev
Kevin Pinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Check out the below link which is Gant's Hybrid program, he has 3 variations of which I think you fit the novice progression.

http://www.catalystathletics.com/for...ead.php?t=2560
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Kevin Pinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Check out the below link which is Gant's Hybrid program, he has 3 variations of which I think you fit the novice progression.

http://www.catalystathletics.com/for...ead.php?t=2560
Great stuff, thanks mate I'll look into this now.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Kevin Pinel

Hi All, I had a read through grants programme but I'm not really sure its suited to me.

It looks great but I can't commit to train that many days per week with my Judo 3 times per week. Also, I donít have access to crossfit equipment or a crosfit gym (hopefully one day), and I have no idea how to put together the WOD's or what most of the abbreviations mean.

So if anyone could recommend a different structure or ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Kev
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

So right now if you can commit 3 days a week that is plenty given that you have 2 days of Judo and 1 day of squad fitness (meaning what exactly?) And as you say your conditioning is pretty good so if you can slack on that for a bit that's not an issue.

I would recommend a full body routine 3 days a week, emphasizing a different portion every day. I'll go into an example below:
This is assuming a regular 5x5 novice progression, if you need that explained out let me know but basically start at a moderate weight, once you hit all sets for that weight go up next week by 5-10 pounds...etc
heavy - <85%
moderate - 50-80%
light - >50%

Monday - heavy squat 5 x 5, moderate horizontal push 3 x 8, moderate horizontal pull 3x8
Tuesday - JUDO
Wednesday - moderate squat 3 x 5-10, heavy horizontal push 5 x 5, chin/pullups shooting for a total number of reps 50 is a good number
Thursday - JUDO
Friday - REST DAY
Saturday - heavy deadlift 5 x 3, moderate squats 3 x 5, heavy overhead press 3 x 3

Those 3 lifts will get you about an hour every session given a 10 minute warmup. If the pullups are too easy at your bodyweight now I'd do weighted pullups. Ensure you schedule in a deload week every few weeks. and if you really to move up a weight class you have to EAT!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Kevin Pinel

Quote:
So right now if you can commit 3 days a week that is plenty given that you have 2 days of Judo and 1 day of squad fitness (meaning what exactly?) And as you say your conditioning is pretty good so if you can slack on that for a bit that's not an issue.

I would recommend a full body routine 3 days a week, emphasizing a different portion every day. I'll go into an example below:
This is assuming a regular 5x5 novice progression, if you need that explained out let me know but basically start at a moderate weight, once you hit all sets for that weight go up next week by 5-10 pounds...etc
heavy - <85%
moderate - 50-80%
light - >50%

Monday - heavy squat 5 x 5, moderate horizontal push 3 x 8, moderate horizontal pull 3x8
Tuesday - JUDO
Wednesday - moderate squat 3 x 5-10, heavy horizontal push 5 x 5, chin/pullups shooting for a total number of reps 50 is a good number
Thursday - JUDO
Friday - REST DAY
Saturday - heavy deadlift 5 x 3, moderate squats 3 x 5, heavy overhead press 3 x 3

Those 3 lifts will get you about an hour every session given a 10 minute warmup. If the pullups are too easy at your bodyweight now I'd do weighted pullups. Ensure you schedule in a deload week every few weeks. and if you really to move up a weight class you have to EAT!
Hi Allen, thank you for that fantastic response, it was just what I was hoping for.

With regards to the squad fitness, what we do chages each week but its more or less a straight 90 min to two hour fitness session (followed by a big team brunch at a cafe )

We start off with a 1 mile jog, then move onto timed sprints in a sports hall (touch line, sprint back, touch next line etc) for about 5-10 mins.

Then usually put on our Gi's and practise some continious judo entries (uchecomies SP?) with our partner being pulled back by another person, then fireman carries for a few lengths.

Then a circuit of maybe 90 secs station 1, 90 secs station 2, 90 secs station 3 with as manay reps as possible (burpees, press ups, box jumps). Rest 3 mins repeat.

Then a 7 mins circuit of jumping jacks (30 secs) 10 press ups,jump jacs (30 secs) 20 squats etc for 6-7 mins, like an intense judo round.

interval running around a outlined parameter for 10 mins i.e. slow, sprint beating each previous sprint time.

We do alot of footwork drills with cones and ladders, more sprinting or just standard b.w. exercises. Its a big session but I cant remenber everything exactly, sorry.

I really do like the look of that routine. Could I front squat once per week instead of back squat? or just keep it as it is?

Yes I know I realy need to nail my food, esp with all my cardio, its somthing thats always been a struggle for me but I'm determained to get stronger.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Pinel View Post

I really do like the look of that routine. Could I front squat once per week instead of back squat? or just keep it as it is?

Yes I know I realy need to nail my food, esp with all my cardio, its somthing thats always been a struggle for me but I'm determained to get stronger.
I'd say keep it as is for at least 2 months then adjust from there. Any particular reason you want to front squat?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Kevin Pinel

Quote:
I'd say keep it as is for at least 2 months then adjust from there. Any particular reason you want to front squat?
I just seem to get on better with front squats and enjoy them more than I do with back squats. I struggle with the technique, whereas deep front squats seem easier, its may be a quad dominance thing.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Kevin Pinel

Also, sorry to ask but could you give me an idea how to start with the 5x5 programming? I generally understand that once I hit 5x5 reps I up the weight 5kgs for lower, 2.5 kgs for upper exercises, but I'm not sure were to start at and how much to drop the weight by for 'moderate days'. I guess it would be a case of trial and error.

Also, what would you perscribe rest wise between sets? 3-5 mins or less?

Thanks again,

Kev
Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

If you want to do FS's then I'd would just substitute that in for your squatting movement.

Take a look at this page it has a FAQ on how they estimate starting weights and the progression.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program